Compact Flash cards: Lexar vs Sandisk or ?

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
No
I know you all use one or another (hopefully) so i just wanted to hear what you thought about these two popular CF card brands.

How would you rate them?
Is Sandisk II, III, or extreme iV really that good.
Is Lexar better ?
Is there another performing manufacturer ?

Say the test camera is a Canon 40D or equivalent Nikon.

:shrug:

On my 40D I use 4Gb Sandisk Extreme III's (plus some older 2gbs and 1Gb's). Never had a problem, faster than the camera can write to them and fast to get shots off with a usb2 reader. The 4Gb ones also come (came) with RescuePro

I use the Sandisk Extreme III's and IV's No problems, very quick write times.

Does the xxx? speed really make a difference ?

No Camera can write at the speeds the cards can, you will only notice the difference when you download to a PC, you can find data on transfer times via google if you need it, but Rob Galbraith and many others have explained it to death (y)

Does the xxx? speed really make a difference ?

I've used Lexar and Sandisk both work fine

If you're a landscape 'togger then write speeds mean nothing. It's only when action (high fps) is the game that write speeds can slow you down, but as stated, no camera can write the speed the cards have printed on them. The fhigh speed is only of benefit if you're ina serious rush to download to a pc or mac.

I use sandisk Extreme III by the way (plus I have a few old Crucial cards). Only bought the Sandsks because theye were £14 each for a 2Gb card off Amazon.

Hi, i use the ultra 11 sandisk cards(already had them before the 40d) and extreme 111, mainly use the extreme ones though purely because they are a little harder wearing if the advertising hype is to be believed.

I just purchased an 8gb Lexar card from [wbessada] so i'll see how it goes. :)

You raise a good point.

Card speed vs FPS speed of the camera.
I hopefully will be able to test if slower cards can affect the 6.5FPS ability of the new Canon 40D.

I dont think there is a relationship between card speed and fps.
Cameras buffer images before writing to the card.
Maybe when the buffer is full and the camera starts to write to the card whilst its still shooting a fast frame rate, there may be some issue there, I dunno, camera manufacturers give specs for consecutive shot fps that dont consider card speed.
Anybody who wants to shoot extreme frame rates would probably buy a D3 or a 1D in the first place, so its hardly a consideration anyway..

Same as celery. Sandisk.. I vaguely recall somebody telling me.. somebody in the know.. that lexar weren't better and in fact may be a little less reliable. Can't qualify that but I've stuck with sandisk, from reputable sources mind, and not had probs. I've said it now.. arrgh

Lexar have had compatibility problems in the past.
I've stayed away from them and used sandisk just because i've never really heard anything bad about them and i've never had a problem with one.

I've got a mix of cards. SandiskII and III, Peak, Kingston, Sony, Jessops and had a Lexar. Can't honestly tell the difference between them in operation. The only issue I've ever had was my P2000 couldn't read the Lexar for some reason so sold it on.

Sandisk invented the CF format!

A bit like buying a JVC VHS machine back in the day... can't go wrong :)

A.

True, Sandisk invented the CF shape. Lexar however invented the bus that drive all external menory devices. No Lexar no CF, SD, Xd, MS etc!
All the brands pay a fee to Lexar for a licence for this.
That said the cards are much the same.
The compatability issue mentioned relates to one Canon camera and one generation of Lexar card, both now old hat.

I have Lexar and SanDisk Extreme III cards but use MyMemory's own branded CF cards that have a lifetime warranty and write at the same speed as the SanDisk Extreme III for a fraction of the price i.e.

MyMemory 133X 8GB CF card = £17.99 and P+P is free just now
SanDisk Extreme III 8GB CF card = £43.99
Lexar 133X 8GB CF card = £61.99

There is a one off charger of £3.95 for P+P for orders up to 1kg and wither you buy 1 or 10 cards, they will dispatch the individually so you do not get caught out with Custom charges, they also sell their own branded MyMemory Hard CF Storage Case for £3.99

Brian

Well my new Lexar 8gb card arrived today and i tried it on my 5 year old Canon Powershot Pro 1.
Works perfectly :)

After having a lexar fail on me about 4 years ago I switched to Ultra II's/Extreme III's and have had no problem since.

Back