Compact macro

Name
Damion
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all , iv recently bought a Ricoh grii and I absolutely love it , it’s constantly with me and I’m finding it really freeing to have a tiny grab and go camera .
one of my favourit features is the macro setting , but it’s a bit limited so my question to anyone willing to answer is do any members have experience of shooting macro with a compact camera and any models I can research and look into please ?

suppose a little more information would help , the macro I like to shoot is mostly plant,fungi,flower type shots

Last edited:
Macro is generally thought to be 1:1 or greater. I'm not into that and close up is good enough for me for flowers, leaves and other such detail shots.

I don't know if your camera can take filters but if it can maybe a close up filter is an option? Just in case you haven't heard of these they're basically magnifying lenses which screw to the front of your lens. They range in price from a few £ and up. They often come in sets marked as +1, +2, and +4. I have a set like this and I use them regularly, normally I just take the +4 with me.

If you do look into these you'll need either a set that will screw to the end of your camera lens or a step up ring to go from your lens to the close up filter.

Mine are Kood but something like these cheap ones...

More expensive...

PS.
I just did some Googling and it looks like the GR II needs this adapter to take filters...

I really don't know what compacts can do macro or take filters but I'm sure someone who does will be along shortly :D

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply woof woof
I suppose my ricoh only really does close up I really enjoy it just being in my pocket and the large ish sensor is great.
I suppose one of the really top end compacts like a fuji x100 or a Sony rx1 with some close up filters ect would be an idea.

I think the Olympus Tough models do macro, small sensor.

Back