Compact spotting scope advice

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
No
Hi

Looking for recommendations for a smallish light compact scope or zoom monocular.

I already have some good 8 x 42 bins and an opticron 8x30 monocular but looking for something to get me a lot closer to the action. Weight and size is a issue as I don't want to add much more weight than carrying the nikon and sigma 150-500 combo and a few other bits thrown in. Chances are the other half will be carrying it/using it when out with me.

I tried a viking v50 that rspb sell and size wise it was ideal, but figure it was probably overpriced/ better options for less money.

Budget wise under £100 would be great. Its not something will be used all the time, but something to take to places like Fairburn or Potteric carr for the stuff I can't see with the 500mm on the slr.

I'm not looking for astounding quality but want it to be as good as the opticron 8x30 at say 20-25 times

Any recommendations welcome.
Thanks

Every year, the likes of Lidl and Aldi sell a 20-60x spotting scope for around £25.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=416189

I reckon it's about this time of year they start rollng them out onto the shelves.

Might be worth a look.....

Nothing doing at aldi or lidl at the mo. Tried out an opticron mm2 with a 25 fixed eypiece in a shop today. On paper it so fitted the bill, great in theory but the adventurer at £99 was brighter and had better zoom and and £80 cheaper. I was really impressed but just a bit bulky, however still lightweight

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Opticron-Adventurer-15-45x60-Spottingscope-Kit/dp/B005XXZ2JS

In the end I have decided to try the kenko lens 2 scope adaptor so I can use an old 300 f4 man focus or my 70-300 vr or even the tamron 18-270 depending on what looks/works best. It won't add hardly any bulk/weight to my bag and I often take a 300 f4 along with the 150-500 as I can never decide which length I'll need as the 300 f4 is super sharp.

If the kenko is cak at least I can send it back to amazon for a refundand keep waiting for other suggestions.

Cheers

Back