Compact travel tripods

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All, I need two tripods for a video job abroad this new year. I need it compact, stable and not too expensive (yes, I know!!).

It will be for R6 MK2's and 24-105 lenses. I need about 6' in height and will need to case them. I liked at my mates manfrotto befree but with the camera and lens of it had a lot of movement!

I think I have narrowed it to...
Artcise AS35C (20kg payload)? I have the 80 which is great, but too bulky for this job!
or
K and F concept travel 'mutate series 70' which has a 15kg payload.

Anyone got either of the above? Any thoughts??

I am guessing the payloads are all calculated my the manufacturer and can vary, so not great for a comparison!

Thank you for any advice. T

If you want compact, the Peak Design tripod is hard to beat, not cheap though,

I use a 3lt billy which isnt tall enough but they have others in their range which are

i also have artcise as80 &as90. If the as35c fits size wise then its difficult to see going beyond that for £90. Rather than buy 2, is there no way the as80 could go in your checked luggage?

wrong thread

Last edited:
I bought a Benro Mefoto roadtrip alu tripod cheap recently. Seems pretty sturdy, holds a 5d4 gripped with a 24-105 no bother. Not the lightest "travel" tripod but it does say road trip in the name. Comes in a case with a B/S head arca swiss compatable and spikes for swopping the feet. Oh and it makes a monopod. Compact folded up, Cheap enough used.

In reality I don't think you will find a travel tripod the goes up to 6ft and is fully stable. The very nature of a travel tripod is to be light weight and therefore fully extended liable to movement
I have the Manfrotto befreelive tripod Just using the legs with a camera on top is approx 5 ft high with the centre column up adds another 5 inches . the problem you will come across is wind will affect movement considerably with a tripod fully extended, even taking a photo will do the same thing. Therefore to get a steady photo a remote
trigger would be advisable but add a bit to your luggage.
one I have is the manfrotto 055xprob which would get the height and be rock solid the only thing is its weight you would need a second shooter to carry it for you.
So maybe compromise and forfit height for stablility

As that camera has a flip screen surely it is not impossibe to use on a tripod that doesn't need to go to 6t anyway and the manfrotto befreelive would be ideal

on mine I have added a wired remote to the handle on the befreelive
P1051799.JPG
this remote Lanc switch saves a lot of problems with camera shake on my camcorder , even toucing camera controls can induce shake. Just try panning if doing a video without the switch erm not really a good idea

Last edited:
I use a 3lt billy which isnt tall enough but they have others in their range which are

i also have artcise as80 &as90. If the as35c fits size wise then its difficult to see going beyond that for £90. Rather than buy 2, is there no way the as80 could go in your checked luggage?
Already taking the as80 for the 3rd camera! Basically, I have 3 cameras shooting 4k video (one centre, one left and one right) plus one camera with me shooting stills!

In reality I don't think you will find a travel tripod the goes up to 6ft and is fully stable. The very nature of a travel tripod is to be light weight and therefore fully extended liable to movement
I have the Manfrotto befreelive tripod Just using the legs with a camera on top is approx 5 ft high with the centre column up adds another 5 inches . the problem you will come across is wind will affect movement considerably with a tripod fully extended, even taking a photo will do the same thing. Therefore to get a steady photo a remote
trigger would be advisable but add a bit to your luggage.
one I have is the manfrotto 055xprob which would get the height and be rock solid the only thing is its weight you would need a second shooter to carry it for you.
So maybe compromise and forfit height for stablility

As that camera has a flip screen surely it is not impossibe to use on a tripod that doesn't need to go to 6t anyway and the manfrotto befreelive would be ideal

on mine I have added a wired remote to the handle on the befreelive
View attachment 405651
this remote Lanc switch saves a lot of problems with camera shake on my camcorder , even toucing camera controls can induce shake. Just try panning if doing a video without the switch erm not really a good idea
I need the height to get above people's heads sitting watching a concert. The camera will be shooting 4k video and not be operated my anyone, so just static. I will put in pans and zoom in the edit as it will be on a HD timeline.

A friend of mine has the befree and I tried fully extended the other day with my r6mk2 and ef24-70 f2.8 ii, there was quite a bit of movement just touching the camera, which didn't seem that quick to disappear!

T

I have recently bought a heipi tripod

The stability is great especially for a travel tripod of it's style and it's very compact.

I am not a fan of the flip locks though. I'm still to get used to it. In fact hurt my finger operating on my holiday last week :(
I definitely much prefer twist locks.

I have recently bought a heipi tripod

The stability is great especially for a travel tripod of it's style and it's very compact.

I am not a fan of the flip locks though. I'm still to get used to it. In fact hurt my finger operating on my holiday last week :(
I definitely much prefer twist locks.
interesting design, I can see how the 3 piece column would give it a lot more stability!

Pricey though for my needs, I need two and only going to use them for 10 days after Christmas, then sit them in a cupboard until next year!

I may be able to help anyway. I no longer use my manfrotto 055PROB tripod with a pistol grip , this will go up from 2ft to nearly 8ft (lower if legs spread wider) without the head or camera on top so willing to sell it for an agreed price. It is not a compact type more a studio type but will be ideal for your purpose and rock solid. I am not that far from Bexhill (20 miles away from you). If you would be interested on see it first let me know, still have the boxes for them somewhere put away

Last edited:
I may be able to help anyway. I no longer use my manfrotto 055PROB tripod with a pistol grip , this will go up from 2ft to nearly 8ft (lower if legs spread wider) without the head or camera on top so willing to sell it for an agreed price. It is not a compact type more a studio type but will be ideal for your purpose and rock solid. I am not that far from Bexhill (20 miles away from you). If you would be interested on see it first let me know, still have the boxes for them somewhere put away
A kind offer but I don't think it will work for me. It is too long and heavy to go in the case with all the other kit. If I could just drive to the job I would consider it, but there is a flight involved!

Thank you, T

I have a Manfrotto 755CX3

Can you not arrange local hire (video hire company) of some decent tripods for the job (as opposed to trying find a stable tall travel tripod)
Not a bad idea, but I still have to cart them about from job to job along with the other kit! I have ordered a couple of amazon to see how stable they are, will send them back if not up to the job!

1, Small & light, 2. rigid, 3. affordable...pick two.

That is the challenge. I have used something equivalent to aluminum Manfrotto 055, and even raised only to 1m (no raising of central column ) it would be blown off target by wind force against the 200mm FL lens length...I would need to wait for a lull in the wind for the lens to be on target! The Manfrotto 190 would have been worse for rigidity.

I eventually purchased a carbon fiber Gitzo, and 'affordable' is what I had to sacrifice in my choice of only two characteristics!

Last edited:
Back