Compacts?

Name
Simon Everett
Edit My Images
Yes
What is the current thinking on these please? I have a Canon G12, but it is too limiting being not wide enough and not long enough.... the Coolpix P7800 was great, but too much saltwater on it and the buttons don't always work now, so I need to find something equivalent, if there is anything. 21mm - 200mm (I only talk in 35mm!) f2 - f4 at that. Shoots NEF too. Not massive output, it doesn't need to be - 12MP is fine for A3.
Nikon 900 is way too much money... something up to, say £350. It all seems to be holiday snaps orientated, but then I am not the best at being able to search on the internet. I don't seem to ask google the right questions.

Suggestions for something that would fit the bill please.

The simple compact market has been killed by mobile phones. Only Sony, Canon, Panasonic & Nikon are still producing anything that vaguely resembles your requirements. The closest is probably Panasonic's TZ100 and it's just on your budget. There's also Sony's RX100 VI or VII but their price is way outside your budget. There's probably something from Canon in between but I'm not familiar with the current range.

www.camerapricebuster.co.uk is a useful resource. I suggest having a look in the Compact Cameras section for each of those four manufacturers to see what's available at what price then using the manufactuers' web sites to get full details.

I bought a Sony rx100iii and am happy with that. If you don’t need a new one, worth looking at a used rx100iii.

RX100/3 only has 24-70mm EFL(35mm).

The Coolpix 900 isn't what I'd call compact but if the OP wants one, I have one I could be persuaded to sell him for his £350.

The simple compact market has been killed by mobile phones. Only Sony, Canon, Panasonic & Nikon are still producing anything that vaguely resembles your requirements. The closest is probably Panasonic's TZ100 and it's just on your budget. There's also Sony's RX100 VI or VII but their price is way outside your budget. There's probably something from Canon in between but I'm not familiar with the current range.

www.camerapricebuster.co.uk is a useful resource. I suggest having a look in the Compact Cameras section for each of those four manufacturers to see what's available at what price then using the manufactuers' web sites to get full details.

I don't know the TZ100 but my wife is still using a TZ9 (crossover between the TZ8 and TZ10 produced for Currys) she bought 10 years ago. I've used it too and it's still an excellent, pocket sized, travel camera. The TZ100 should be better?

There's a TZ100 thread here...

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/panasonic-tz100.653653/

I think there's a TZ200 out now? Maybe?

I have the TZ100 and although I don't use it a lot it seems like a good camera. These have a 1" sensor and have a 25-250mm zoom but the aperture range is ho-hum. The high ISO performance is good though and although there'll be noise if you look closely whole pictures may well still be perfectly usable.

These cameras are small but everything is there and they can be used in all the usual modes or indeed fully manual and even have eye or face detect (I can't remember if it's eye or face but whatever it is it works well enough) plus they're quite customisable.

I'm a bit vague on the Sony 1" sensor compacts but although I think they have wider apertures I don't think the zoom range is as great.

Last edited:
@Lensflare included in his request that it should include NEF, does seem to be seeking only a Nikon model!

But as he has a Canon, perhaps open to the other manufacturers option suggested above?

.. the Coolpix P7800 was great...

Indeed. The wheel on the back of mine is playing silly buggers and I've been looking for a replacement without success. Nothing seems to tick all the same boxes at the right price. The market for this kind of camera seems to have died. :confused:

I've gone for a used Panasonic G6 with a 12-32 lens as a temporary fix, but I realise that short and slow a lens won't suit your requirements. Depending how compact you need a micro 4/3 solution might be an option.

On my bike owners club forum there is a Sony cybershot HX90V - immediate specs seem OK, lens is a bit slow and it only shoots jpeg.... but it is hardly used and cheap enough.

I shall have a look at that TZ100 you've suggested. I have never heard of it., but then with the P7800 doing everything so well, including grabbing bits of video here and there, I didn't need to. The world has accelerated away in warp drive while I have been at walking pace!

I am even looking at drones now too! My computer is on its last legs, so I am hoping to get a cheap refurbished confuser that will do video stuff, and continue to be able to the editing I have on here for camera stuff. I don't think I shall be doing photography for much longer, to be honest, the way things are going. Bauer are leading the way with magazine titles being closed left right and centre. My D4s will continue to provide plenty good enough pictures for everything I will do for years to come... I just need something pretty decent for the small jobs, fishing, shooting and my boating travel stuff in the small inflatable which is cramped and wet, hence the need for something that s small but powerful that can withstand a certain amout of abuse. I still have my P7100, it works perfectly except for the flash..... maybe a camera wizard could take the bits off that and get my 7800 up and running again?

I have a sony cyber shot 60v. It's not that good. If the 90v has a proper viewfinder it might be ok. Rear only screen is crap outdoors.

Build quality isn't great and it feels very cheap. I paid about £120 as I got a refurb.

Zoom range is ludicrous but if you use it the images are rather hazy at times.

I have an old Panasonic zoom compact and that's so much nicer to use. Much more solid feeling. Rear screen is still hard to see outdoors though.

On my bike owners club forum there is a Sony cybershot HX90V - immediate specs seem OK, lens is a bit slow and it only shoots jpeg.... but it is hardly used and cheap enough
I own and use both the HX90 and the Panasonic TZ70.

For your requirements I'd advise looking around for the Panasonic. Basically: the Sony is smaller and has a tilting screen, which I find very useful but the Panasonic is more robust and has a fixed eye-level finder against the Sony's "pop-up and pull out" finder. The Panasonic camera is also slightly sharper at the long end of the zoom and is faster in operation. If buying second hand check either camera very carefully because they both have very small components and rely on close tolerances for the moving parts.

Cameras Sony HX90 and Panasonic TZ70 DSC01601.JPG

I own and use both the HX90 and the Panasonic TZ70.

For your requirements I'd advise looking around for the Panasonic. Basically: the Sony is smaller and has a tilting screen, which I find very useful but the Panasonic is more robust and has a fixed eye-level finder against the Sony's "pop-up and pull out" finder. The Panasonic camera is also slightly sharper at the long end of the zoom and is faster in operation. If buying second hand check either camera very carefully because they both have very small components and rely on close tolerances for the moving parts.

View attachment 280405

Brilliant feedback. Thank you very much.

Back