Compacts...

Name
Kell
Edit My Images
Yes
For some time now, I've been umming and ahhing about having a PAS camera that comes with me to more locations.

I currently have a Panasonic Lumix TZ20 - not the best, not the worst. But it offers very little in the way of creative freedom, doesn't take RAWS and I've never been happy with the IQ. Despite it getting good reviews when I bought it.

So, I'm planning to sell that - I know it's not worth a huge amount and have narrowed down the replacements to one of three cameras - all SH.

Using MPB and 'good' as a bench mark these are:

A Sony RX100 III - at around £254 (like new is available for £304)
A Canon G7 X II - at around £344
A Canon G5 X - at around £324.

Here's my line of thinking.

Chose these three because of the 1.8-2.8 lenses.

The Sony is the cheapest and smallest. Has an EVF and bounceable (albeit small) flash.

The two Canons have a longer focal range 24-100 as opposed to 24-70).
The G5 adds hot shoe functionality and view finder over the G7 and doesn't appear to lose 'too much' in the size stakes. It also has a fully foldable screen - the screen on my Lumix cracked - even though I've looked after it and almost always had it in a case.

I currently have a 5Diii and an 80D. But I could sell the 80D and the EF-S lenses, and use the compact where I'd normally take that.

It would simplify my kit a lot as I have a several lenses I can only use on one camera. It feels like if I went down this route then the G5 would be the choice - especially with the added functionality of being able to add an external flash. I could keep it small-ish with a Canon 270EX or go full on with the 480EX/580EX.

It would mean the Canons are probably easier to understand the menus etc as I'm used to them.

But all along, I thought I would end up getting the Sony due to its portability.

Does anyone have any experience of any of these?

I'd be interested to hear of any first hand-experience - especially if you went through a similar thought process when buying.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I have the RX100V with viewfinder but I never use, the flash is sometimes useful.

It's a bit short of reach at times but there's Sony's clear image zoom does something smart it's not really just a digital crop/zoom.
I bought mine slightly used for not much more than your Rx100iii price.
It is the best all round camera I ever had by some margin.

Nothing wrong with your other two options though I remember being very tempted by Canon offerings when I got the Sony - initially to use alongside Canon5Dii .
It almost equalled the 5D a lot of the time and is much easier for occasional video.

Thought about the Panasonic LX100? Raw files, can be fully manual, but perhaps doesn’t have the focal length you need?

I have an RX100/3 as a pocket camera for holidays and when I CBA to carry a bagful of kit. I'd like the extra length that a later one would give but can live with the shorter option and save the cash! The EVF (as opposed to the rear screen) is a bit fiddly to use but works well once erected.

Thought about the Panasonic LX100? Raw files, can be fully manual, but perhaps doesn’t have the focal length you need?

I did look at one in my original short list, but I've had 3 (maybe 4) Panasonic cameras and not been happy with any. Though I will concede they've all been pretty low-end cameras.

I have an RX100/3 as a pocket camera for holidays and when I CBA to carry a bagful of kit. I'd like the extra length that a later one would give but can live with the shorter option and save the cash! The EVF (as opposed to the rear screen) is a bit fiddly to use but works well once erected.

I kind of wanted a combo of the two. The 1.8-2.8 lens and the longer zoom length, but I figured the shorter, faster lens would work better for me.

TBH, I'm quite tempted to get a newer/longer one as well as the faster one - trade in value would be all but negligible and the extra speed would be handy for night shots. (Just booking next year's holidays and it looks like we'll be saving a significant wedge by going R**nAir rather than Tui so have some fun money!)

Another FWIW, I have a Panasonic TZ100 as well as the Sony. The Sony comes on holiday, the Panny gathers dust...

When looking at compacts I think the Panny TZ100/200 must at least be worth a quick look. 1" sensor, long range zoom and decent image quality for a compact and you have RAW and all the modes available including manual.

Slow lens though.

Last edited:
I will keep an eye on this thread as I'm also looking for a compact, for non photography outings (fishing). I thought about one of the "tough" options, but reviews seem to pan IQ as poor through over excessive noise reduction, so perhaps need one of the 1" sensor options.

Last edited:
I will keep an eye on this thread as I'm also looking for a compact, for non photography outings (fishing). I thought about one of the "tough" options, but reviews seem to pan IQ as poor through over excessive noise reduction, so perhaps need one of the 1" sensor options.

To semi-answer that.

My daughter managed to ruin both my compact cameras one holiday by dropping them on the floor. A Pentax Optio 550 and an early Panasonic TZ (something or other).

To replace them and add some level of protection, I then got a a Panasonic Lumix FT30. iQ not great - and it went kaput after my daughter left the battery door unlocked and took it in the pool. It was great for unusual underwater shots, but other than that I only ever got snapshots from it.

When looking to replace that, I went for the Fuji XP140 and it's definitely better, but still just OK. I say that as all the shots I've got from it look like someone has applied too much noise reduction in it. Almost like an Instagram filter that smooths skin is applied to everything. This might be a setting I've turned on, or not turned off, but I don't think so.

Though I was talking to someone when we went canoeing in Jersey as I had the Fuji with me to take shots of us out on the water. He was also a photographer and went for the Olympus TG (whatever the current model is). Most reviews says it is the best of the bunch.

I looked at one of those instead of the Fuji, but it was a lot more expensive, and bit niche for me to spend that much money on. The Fuji's OK to take on bike rides and anywhere on the water. But if I was just 'near' the water, I'd get something normal and be careful... (that might just mean not letting my daughter near it).

Couple of shots from the FUJI I entered into the TP52 as it was the only camera I had on me.

TP522021: Week 21 - Pattern by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

DSCF3327 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Last edited:
To semi-answer that.

My daughter managed to ruin both my compact cameras one holiday by dropping them on the floor. A Pentax Optio 550 and an early Panasonic TZ (something or other).

To replace them and add some level of protection, I then got a a Panasonic Lumix FT30. iQ not great - and it went kaput after my daughter left the battery door unlocked and took it in the pool. It was great for unusual underwater shots, but other than that I only ever got snapshots from it.

When looking to replace that, I went for the Fuji XP140 and it's definitely better, but still just OK. I say that as all the shots I've got from it look like someone has applied too much noise reduction in it. Almost like an Instagram filter that smooths skin is applied to everything. This might be a setting I've turned on, or not turned off, but I don't think so.

Though I was talking to someone when we went canoeing in Jersey as I had the Fuji with me to take shots of us out on the water. He was also a photographer and went for the Olympus TG (whatever the current model is). Most reviews says it is the best of the bunch.

I looked at one of those instead of the Fuji, but it was a lot more expensive, and bit niche for me to spend that much money on. The Fuji's OK to take on bike rides and anywhere on the water. But if I was just 'near' the water, I'd get something normal and be careful... (that might just mean not letting my daughter near it).

Couple of shots from the FUJI I entered into the TP52 as it was the only camera I had on me.

TP522021: Week 21 - Pattern by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

DSCF3327 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr
Thanks, that's useful and confirms my thoughts

If you see this man do not approach him... :D

Some shots (from the G5 X) that I took when in Iceland recently.

Statue of Leif Erikson outside Hallgrímskirkja Cathedral

Leif Eriksson by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Blue Lagoon - Sunset

IMG_0544 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

IMG_0529 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

IMG_0528 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

IMG_0519 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Mountain across the lake from where we were staying.

IMG_0652 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Snowy sunrise.

Snowy Sunrise, by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

View from Aslundur Lakefront Villa by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Last edited:
A lot of really nice shots there Kell. I assume you're happy with your choice of G5 and no regrets?

A lot of really nice shots there Kell. I assume you're happy with your choice of G5 and no regrets?

Absolutely.

Start pixel peeping and you can clearly see the difference between that and the 5D, but it’s great as a take anywhere, good quality camera.

Wa-a-a-a-y happier with that than I ever was with any of my Panasonics.

Obvious answer is to not pixel peep! If a camera gives good enough results at the intended end use, be that a screen resolution crop or an A2 print, it's good enough!

Back