Compare Lens Canon 24-105L glass to Sigma 24-105

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys

Looking at purchasing a new lens, and or new camera body. (have canon 30D and maybe upgrading to Canon 70D)
Was looking at a Canon 24 - 105 L Lens and was talking to the guy in the shop and he was suggesting that possible the new Sigma 24 - 105 lens.
Anyone used the new Sigma and what are your thoughts regards the Canon?

Thanks in advance
David

From what I've read, they are pretty much on a par, so I'd go with whatever happens to be the least expensive!

It really is that simple.

BTW I have the Canon and its a brilliant performer. Its probably my most used lens. That said, it might not be the most suitable lens range for a crop. The 24-105 is really designed as a wide to mid lens for FF - as such it wont be that wide on a 30 or 70d.

Hi odd jim

Thanks for the reply really appreicate it.

I may go for a FF camera at a later stage, what camera are you using it on if you don't mind me asking.

Hi odd jim

Thanks for the reply really appreicate it.

I may go for a FF camera at a later stage, what camera are you using it on if you don't mind me asking.
Mainly my Canon 6d.

I have had a few days using the 24-105mm on my 70D and I like it so far.

I have not felt that it is not wide enough for my needs yet and if I do, I will pick up a cheap lens to cover that range.

What sort of pictures do you take?

One of my best friends (drummer in our band) uses the Canon 24-105 on his 7D and loves it for travel. However for my 50D I went for Canon EF-s 15-85mm which offers the same FOV on the crop sensor as the 24-105 on FF and is an excellent lens. I didn't fell that 24mm would be wide enough on a crop.

As for Canon v Sigma, I've read that the 24-105's are close in quality. I would however choose the Canon version so that I know it will be compatible with future Canon bodies.

Last edited:
Hi guys
Thanks very much for the replies, i aleady have a 18-85 lens but like that would like to get some L glass

I have the Sigma which IMO is better than the Canon especially after set up with the dock. It is heavier though

I have got a 70D and I have ordered a Canon 24-105mm :) I will try and let you know how I get on with it if you remind me...
I usually have my Canon 24-195 on my 5D3 but I have had it on the 70D and find it's really too long at the wide end for walkabouts and anything reasonably close. It's excellent on the 5D3.

I think you should not buy a 24-105 and a 70D with a full frame camera in mind.It will not be wide enought for so many things.
I believe you should buy the full frame body and the 24-105 (if funds permit). If not, buy a crop body with a lens designed for it, like a 17-50/5.

Canon 17-55 IS f/2.8 or Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 VC would be my bets. When (if!) you ever buy a full frame camera, you would sell what you have for not much less.

I have a 5D and a 40D. The 24-105 is way better on the 5D.
When I had only the 40D, I felt I was always exchanging lens with the 10-22. :\

Do you have a 18-55?
Try to shoot for a few days using only 24-55 and check if that suits you. ;)

Last edited:
I personally doubt you will see much difference in quality with a 24-105 L over your ef-s 15-85 as I didn't and I owed both. I would keep your 15-85 and get a 70-200 L instead if you don't already.

Sorry viewing this on phone, l've probably not read this thread properly. But these two lenses would probably suit better.

Every time someone mentions using a 24-105 on a crop camera people chime in saying how inadequate it is. It's not, it's a great walkabout lens on a crop and the wide angle view is perfectly good, I also have a 10-22 and rarely feel the need for it. But, it depends upon what you want and what you are used to. If you want, or are used to a wider lens then you might feel the lack although you have the 15-85 already. The other end is where it may come up short, ha ha, and Hotshots suggestion of a 70-200L makes a lot of sense.

Every time someone mentions using a 24-105 on a crop camera people chime in saying how inadequate it is. It's not, it's a great walkabout lens on a crop and the wide angle view is perfectly good, I also have a 10-22 and rarely feel the need for it. But, it depends upon what you want and what you are used to. If you want, or are used to a wider lens then you might feel the lack although you have the 15-85 already. The other end is where it may come up short, ha ha, and Hotshots suggestion of a 70-200L makes a lot of sense.

That's not what I meant. I had it with a crop body for around 3 years and loved it.
But!, the first time I tried it on a full frame body, I instantly knew what I've been loosing all that time. It is so much better on full frame that I think it wasn't on the 40D again not even once. :\

It wasn't really aimed at you Luis, it just comes up whenever anybody asks. I'm sure it's better on a full frame and I'd probably feel exactly the same as you, in fact I've been tempted to go FF due to such comments, but it's still a good walkabout with a crop sensor.

After getting a 24-70 and 70-200 f2.8L II pair I put my 24-105 f4L out for redundancy, however a while ago I went for a trip to London for a walk around and a gig so only wanted to take 1 lens. I got the 24-105 out for the day and I got some fantastic shots. This was on a 5D3 at the time though, but some of the shots I took at the gig have since made it onto an album sleeve for the band. I've since used it a few times where weight over focal length is required and have used it often on both a 70D and a 7D2 and have been really pleased with the results. I'm sure you will be pleased with your new purchase David.

I still have this Canon 24-105L since very long time ago and it has a more use than my Canon 24-70 mk1 that is lost in service since long time ago maybe 2-3 years ago and i didn't afford the repairing price, once i will have the money i will check out if i can have it back or still available then i will sell it immediately, 24-105 is doing the job and if i can save more later i may buy 24-70 mkII or Tamron 24-70 which is better than Canon 24-70 mk1 so i can have f2.8 lens again.

Lab tests say that the Sigma is better/sharper, but how much you want to take from lab tests I don't know ;) The Sigma is heavy and isn't weather sealed, but don't know if the Canon is either as I'm a Nikon shooter.

Lab tests say that the Sigma is better/sharper
If only lab test can differentiate between the two lenses that means in real life you cant tell the difference between the two lenses.
If lab tests said one cup of tea was better than another cup of tea would you take it seriously? Exactly.
Real world is where we live and operate so why are lab tests taken so seriously by some people here.

Last edited:
If only lab test can differentiate between the two lenses that means in real life you cant tell the difference between the two lenses.
If lab tests said one cup of tea was better than another cup of tea would you take it seriously? Exactly.
Real world is where we live and operate so why are lab tests taken so seriously by some people here.
Hence my winky face, real world performance is what matters for me.

That being said from the limited images I've seen I have preferred the Sigma over the Canon and Nikon 24-120mm, but if I was in the market I'd have to look into it more closely ;)

Last edited:
Hence my winky face, real world performance is what matters for me.

That being said from the limited images I've seen I have preferred the Sigma over the Canon and Nikon 24-120mm, but if I was in the market I'd have to look into it more closely ;)
You wouldn't see any difference between the lenses from posted shots, or probably even full sized prints, the lenses are that close in performance. Its more likely that one photographer was better than the other :)

You wouldn't see any difference between the lenses from posted shots, or probably even full sized prints, the lenses are that close in performance. Its more likely that one photographer was better than the other :)
Yep, a lot of it is. But from looking at shots I try to get a feel of the lens characteristics as far as rendering, bokeh etc rather than sharpness. Also I look at unedited test shots so that I know PP is not playing a large part.

Hi David
I have the Canon 24-105mm and it is a really good lens. One thing always to consider is sigma is not licenced by Canon to make lenses they backward engineer their lenses to work you could encounter issues in the future so make sure you keep your receipt if you buy the Sigma lens they will normally fit a new chip for free if you have your receipt.
I am not knocking Sigma as they make some great lenses but it is best to evaluate everything when buying a lens if you ever want a fisheye their 15mm f2.8 is great.
Rich

Last edited:
Hi guys thanks for the replies and updates, I went for the Canon 24-105mm so far so good pleased with the purchase.

Hi David
I have the Canon 24-105mm and it is a really good lens. One thing always to consider is sigma is not licenced by Canon to make lenses they backward engineer their lenses to work you could encounter issues in the future so make sure you keep your receipt if you buy the Sigma lens they will normally fit a new chip for free if you have your receipt.
I am not knocking Sigma as they make some great lenses but it is best to evaluate everything when buying a lens if you ever want a fisheye their 15mm f2.8 is great.
Rich
Not anymore, not with new and future stuff anyway. With the USB dock you can update the firmware of the new lenses from your PC, so the firmware issue on current and future lenses is gone.

Not anymore, not with new and future stuff anyway. With the USB dock you can update the firmware of the new lenses from your PC, so the firmware issue on current and future lenses is gone.

Hi Jim
Hi Jim yes you can do the firmware update but in the past chips had to be changed for other reasons on the compatibility front i know I have been there and don't ask how long I waited for the lens. That said the dock is a brilliant idea and works well. I also have more than 1 Sigma lens in my lens line up so there is no bias on my part just caution.
That is why I mentioned keeping the receipt I have very little faith in companies claims these days. Imagine a seniaro in the future where Canon change their lens mount due to lenses and cameras getting smaller and lighter then they decide to make a lens adapter coded to their old lenses where does that leave us.
Rich

Worth bearing in mind that 24-105 is roughly the equivalent of 36-160mm, and many of us have been happy with 35-105 zooms in the past for general use: there's no reason the OP shouldn't be happy with his purchase.

Back