Beginner Compare macro results from 2 different enlarger lenses.

Name
Bharat
Edit My Images
Yes
Sorry for the boring post. Recently bought couple of enlarger lenses to try out some macro over 1:1. Attached are photos I shot with EL Nikkor 50mm f/2.8N and Rodenstock Rodagon 60mm f/4. Can you please let me know which lens is producing better results? I get slightly more magnification with the Nikkor, but I may be able to add a bit more extension and get the same on the 60mm.

I have seen a lot of praise for the el-nikkor online, but when seeing the photos side by side the Rodagon photos looks sharper.

I only tried taking photos of a ruler as I was trying to measure the magnification I was getting. But will be trying other subjects soon. First 4 photos are from El-Nikkor (Magnification - Nearly2:1, Over2:1, Nearly3:1 and Over3:1) and the rest are from the Rodagon (Magnification Over1:1, Nearly2:1, 2:1, Over2:1).

Nikkor-Nearly-2to1.jpgNikkor-Over-2to1.jpgNikkor-Nearly-3to1.jpgNikkor-Over-3to1.jpgRodegon-Over-1to1.jpgRodegon-Nearly-2to1.jpgRodegon-2to1.jpgRodegon-Over-2to1.jpg

I don't photograph those as a Rule :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :exit:

Les :)

Ps No5 looks the better image for me

Very difficult to compare them as presented. I'd suggest picking two images at the same magnification, and putting them next to each other so folks can scroll up and down.

I'd also make sure your camera plane is flat to the subject. That last shot looks sharp at the top and blurred at the bottom.

Links to full sized images would also be helpful.

Thanks for the responses. I will post images of a different subject and equal magnification shortly so its easier to compare.

I took photos of a small mark on a wine bottle roughly at 1:3 with both lenses. On these, to my eyes the sharpest areas in the El-Nikkor image were a bit more sharper.
I was working with an effective aperture of around f/25 so there's a very shallow depth of field and there was varying sharpeness across the image in both photos.
I used an extension of about 16cm on el-nikkor and 19.5cm on Rodagon to shoot these. Aperture is 5.6 on El-Nikkor and 6.7 on Rodagon.
What's your opinion?
Full size jpeg files are available here.
EL-Nikkor: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sjf30dvj9g5c63u/EL-Nikkor.jpg?dl=0
Rodagon: https://www.dropbox.com/s/itjlf610bc9pwt4/Rodagon.jpg?dl=0EL-Nikkor.jpgRodagon.jpg

Last edited:
Back