Comparing cropped A7r4 vs an equivalent on an A6400

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
No
Ive probably misunderstood a lot, and maybe not even wording my question very well, but...

Given the large pixel difference between the A7r4 and the a6400, and with similar quality lenses of equivalent focal lengths. If I was to crop the A7r4 photo to replicate the same image on an A6400, which would give me the “better” image.

Weight/lens price are less of a concern to me, but the A7r4 seems to me to be a camera that could hold its own for many generations more than the a6400, but I’m a total ignoramous, so wondered if anyone could give me any thoughts or knowledge, before I make my final purchase decision?

Last edited:
I can't say for sure without doing a proper test but I would imagine they'd be similar as you would be enlarging the image to the same extent and mp count will be almost the same. The A7RIV will gather more light overall, but then not sure if this matters when cropping to APS-C size.

Ive probably misunderstood a lot, and maybe not even wording my question very well, but...

Given the large pixel difference between the A7r4 and the a6400, and with similar quality lenses of equivalent focal lengths. If I was to crop the A7r4 photo to replicate the same image on an A6400, which would give me the “better” image.

Weight/lens price are less of a concern to me, but the A7r4 seems to me to be a camera that could hold its own for many generations more than the a6400, but I’m a total ignoramous, so wondered if anyone could give me any thoughts or knowledge, before I make my final purchase decision?

If the effective sensor size/area is the same, the pixel count the same, and other sensor characteristics (eg AA filter, noise performance etc) also the same, the two images would be be identical in every way.

That's theory and of course in practise there will always be some small differences, but in the comparison you're making with the same lens/settings etc, you'd be very hard pressed to tell the two apart. One of the major advantages IMHO of full-frame sensors with high pixel counts is that you effectively get two cameras in one - a superb FF camera of course, but also a smaller format camera with plenty of pixels left after cropping down for wildlife, sport etc (y)

Back