Compatible inkjet ink?

Im sorry to have to say... but I really think you should stick with the original inks if you are doing photographic prints.

I only buy compatibles for my kids for their schoolwork on normal paper.

Janice,

I didn't think I'd get a unanimous answer to this one, somehow!

I've just about come to the conclusion that I'm never going to print any top quality exhibition prints. I'll use a lab for that.

What I do need from time to time is to print some postcard dummies which don't have to be exact, and the damned printer won't print invoices in B&W without a full set of colour inkjets in there as well. Why it uses colour ink for that i just don't understand. :bang:

For the boring black and white stuff we spent £60 ish on a Samsung Mono laser printer from Staples and they reckon it should print about 1500 sheets per cartridge.Thus saving our expensive colours for the important piccies:D

Jet tek got good reveiws recently in one of the magazines. Or my solution was to buy some permajet paper. You then print off a couple of test prints from their website and they will do a free printer profile with whatever ink your using as long as you print onto their media.

i my time working with pc and printers i have spent to much time cleaning ink out of printers after a compatible or refill cartridge as split! it's just not worth it!

Don't do it, Jerry!

If you do, be prepared to flush your print head to clear blocked nozzles. Be prepared for your prints to fade. Be prepared for colours to look poor (and worsen as the inks fade at different rates).

If you search through the forum, you'll find posts from a member who sells compatible inks and he recommends avoiding them as well. If you do go for it and suffer the consequences, feel free to look back here and to read the paragraph below.

"We tried to tell you but you wouldn't listen!!!"

Don't do it, Jerry!

If you do, be prepared to flush your print head to clear blocked nozzles. Be prepared for your prints to fade. Be prepared for colours to look poor (and worsen as the inks fade at different rates).

If you search through the forum, you'll find posts from a member who sells compatible inks and he recommends avoiding them as well. If you do go for it and suffer the consequences, feel free to look back here and to read the paragraph below.

"We tried to tell you but you wouldn't listen!!!"

:LOL::LOL:

OK, maybe I should go to Plan B then, although actually I had major blocked nozzle problems with my previous R800 and epson ink........ so bad I had to buy a new printer.

Meh. I have a bank of 6 Epson R220s used for print jobs, normally DVD covers and things. I have used compatible inks since the free ones that came with the printers ran out. Never had a major problem. The printers aren't used all the time and can go a month sometimes without use and I never have any problems with clogged heads. They do require a clean from time to time, but I am sure they do with Epson ink too!

I have found JetTec to be the best, not the cheapest but give good colour results. I have found with some papers that greys may turn a little green, but that does seem to be the paper I was using not the black ink.

I would say give it a go and see what results you get. Maybe I have just been lucky, but with 6 printers that must have all done about 10k A4 prints each then I think it is quite a good test tbh.

I have a HP all in and I use compatible inks from Inkcycle, no problems. Ideal for general use.
I also have a HP photoprinter and I use HP inks, again from Inkcycle, no problems.

The trouble with Epson is their ink is so expensive, however do provide excellent prints. Like many I moved over to compatible inks to reduce the cost and found quality to be nearly as good, but was not into photography so much then.
I got sick of replacing printers every 13 months (after any warranty run out and the conspiracy theory that it is programmed into the printer ) and finally moved over to HP. Still have to flush them out every so often.
Bill

NOD
Would you find the thread to your comment below as ive been asked if i'm the person in question
If you search through the forum, you'll find posts from a member who sells compatible inks and he recommends avoiding them as well.

Jet tek got good reviews recently in one of the magazines. Or my solution was to buy some permajet paper. You then print off a couple of test prints from their website and they will do a free printer profile with whatever ink your using as long as you print onto their media.

Or just download the ICC profiles from their site. Much quicker and they work a treat with OEM (or Permajet) inks.

We used Permajet inks in our 2400 (which has now been replaced with a 3800) via a CIS.
Results are comparable with Epson inks and the longevity doesn't appear to be an issue.

What does make a difference is whether your printer uses pigment or dye inks. Pigment inks are far much less likely to fade or exhibit colour shifts. Our first printer was an Epson 950. The output quality was very good, but the prints faded quite quickly. The reason? Dye-based inks. We only ever used OEM inks in this printer.

So to summarise - dye inks are more likely to fade/shift in colour irrespective of whether they are original or generic inks.
Pigment inks will last much longer - Permajet quote times that are comparable with an archivally produced wet print.

I've tried several non-oem inks over time & the ONLY one I've found that produces the same quality as the originals is Jettec, excellent alternative to the Epson IMHO....having said that I still prefer the originals

simon

NOD
Would you find the thread to your comment below as ive been asked if i'm the person in question

Just searched your last 250 posts and I don't think it's you.

Back