Beginner Compatible Speedlight transmitter for Canon 5d.

Name
Georges
Edit My Images
No
Hello,

I just got a Canon 5D Mark I in excellent condition. I also have Canon 60D. Also, a couple of lenses which I can use with Canon 5d such as 40mm stm and Tamron 70-300 VC etc..

I also have 1 Canon 580EXII and a clone (looks exactly the same except for the name and work extremely well. I can trigger both remotely using my Canon 60D.

I want to do the same with Canon 5D, but I am confused what to buy. It has to be obviously compatible with camera and these flashes and support ETTL.

Any recommendations for a compatible transmitter? (Budget up to £100).

Thanks for your time.

Simply because it's not too expensive and I know it'll work, the YN622c TX on camera and a YN622c for the flash, about £60 from eBay IIRC.

If I understand correctly, I will need a transmitter on camera and at receiver, I think, on each flash. I was hoping for something like the Canon one, just one piece on camera, but it is expesive. isn't there some thing similar? I mean the Chinese cloned most accessories and why not this one :)

The confusing part you find one and when you read carefully it truns out you will need extra equipments ,,,,if it is the only choice then .. it is the way.. transmitter, transceivers, receivers, triggers, all confusing :)

If I understand correctly, I will need a transmitter on camera and at receiver, I think, on each flash. I was hoping for something like the Canon one, just one piece on camera, but it is expesive. isn't there some thing similar? I mean the Chinese cloned most accessories and why not this one :)

The confusing part you find one and when you read carefully it truns out you will need extra equipments ,,,,if it is the only choice then .. it is the way.. transmitter, transceivers, receivers, triggers, all confusing :)
Yes, there's the Canon ST-E2, and a Yongnuo clone too (same name).

But frankly in a cost / performance analysis, the radio triggers knock it for six. Yes you need the 2 pieces, but they're actually cheaper than both the Canon and the Yongnuo ST-E2. Of course you may find S/H versions cheaper.

But to reiterate, the radio triggers are far superior in every way, and cheaper too. Frankly only a complete idiot would buy an st-e2 nowadays.

If you later wanted to add more speedlights, then a Yongnuo YN685 has the (622) receiver built in, for about £100. It also has most of the functionality of the 580ex (just misses the canon transmitter functionality- which is frankly useless anyway)

In case you haven't noticed I have no time for the Canon light controlled system, it's pointless, barely usable indoors in the dark, completely useless outside.

Last edited:
Convinced :)

I ordered it.
But now I have a stupid question, really stupid ...
I put the 580exII flash on the Canon 5D and I don't seem to make it sync.
What do I have to do? works fine on 60D, but 60D holds your hands :)

Convinced :)

I ordered it.
But now I have a stupid question, really stupid ...
I put the 580exII flash on the Canon 5D and I don't seem to make it sync.
What do I have to do? works fine on 60D, but 60D holds your hands :)
What will it not do?
You should simply attach it to camera, select appropriate shutter speed (below sync) and off you go. Or put the flash in HSS mode and off you go at any shutter speed.

what I mean, and I am trying to remember my youth ;-)

back in the days of Canon A1, I used to put the camera on AV and then put on the flash. I see the flash symbol in the viewfinder, but it makes no difference to shutter speed. For example, if I put my aperture to f8, flash on, I still have to use very low shutter speed (don't have enough light) and needing tripod. The flash does fire.

In the past I used to see the flash symbol, synced 1/60 or /125, no matter what aperture I used. I don't see this.
Am I talking non sense?

update: I think I got it now. What I am talking about is the auto mode or P mode which I don't use. If I am correct, in AV mode I set the aperture and the camera sets the shutter speed regardless of whether the flash i on or off, if on, then the flash will sync at that speed and light the subject. Correct?

I got the yongnuo trigger, the receiver is in shortage i believe and they will take up to a month to get. I'll wait, meanwhile i can use 580EXII as master to fire the slave from the 5D. But I really want off camera flash.

Last edited:
Your understanding of how it should work is close.
Try the speedlighters handbook by Syl arena. For all you need to know.
But for info AV is a bad choice for a Canon camera with flash, P works fine, M is always my choice when using flash as my main source of light.
Here's briefly why:
When you're using flash, you have to balance 2 separate exposure values. The flash output and the ambient light (you always have to consider the ambient - even if your aim is only to massively overpower it). So given that knowledge, how would the camera meter know how you want to balance the 2?
You might want to just add a touch of fill to a backlit portrait, or use a lot of light to overpower the sun, or create a nice balance with a tungsten lit interior with a flash lit subject, or create a studio style flash lit exposure in the same setting.
Canon have an algorithm that tries to handle the choice and it's called NEVEC, but it has it's own foibles.

HI Phil,

Thanks a lot for your patience and sound advices.
I quickly realised to really use Speedlight you need to really understand it beyond just as a flash light. I will get the book as well.

Yeah, I moved to M now and I am doing good and this is where the Speedlight is giving me a headache. More experiments I guess.

Thanks again.

HI Phil,

Thanks a lot for your patience and sound advices.
I quickly realised to really use Speedlight you need to really understand it beyond just as a flash light. I will get the book as well.

Yeah, I moved to M now and I am doing good and this is where the Speedlight is giving me a headache. More experiments I guess.

Thanks again.
For snapshots P and ETTL flash works great
For what we call 'run n gun' where we want to be in control of the flash/ambient balance; M and ETTL flash (sometimes FEC is required)
In a static (studio) situation; M and Manual flash gives consistent results with ease.
But I would rarely choose AV or TV when using flash for the reasons in that article, it is predictable but to predict it I would have to remember a lot more info than simply shooting in M.

amazingly, no one I came across, all quote delivery between 28 of May and June 20. Must be popular :)

That doesn't read like a stock thing, more like the shipping time when you search for the cheapest seller and opt for the 'free' slow boat from China. FWIW my experience of that is it's usually around ten days when ordering from Hong Kong etc, though for items like this I prefer buying from Amazon itself* or at least fulfilled by Amazon.

*Any problems, instant refund and pre-paid return postage.

Last edited:
That doesn't read like a stock thing, more like the shipping time when you search for the cheapest seller and opt for the 'free' slow boat from China. FWIW my experience of that is it's usually around ten days when ordering from Hong Kong etc, though for items like this I prefer buying from Amazon itself* or at least fulfilled by Amazon.

*Any problems, instant refund and pre-paid return postage.
Oddly, the saving is rarely that much when postage is factored in. I suppose paying prime membership removes that completely. (Worth doing for the photo backup - the free postage and odd movie is a bonus)

Back