Competition Category Definitions

Edit My Images
No
Morning All,

I've just joined a camera club (St Neots) after many years lurking in the photographic backwaters.

One of the things I'm enjoying doing is entering club competitions...however does anyone have a definitive list of what the different categories mean.

So what can and can't go in "natual hostory" for example.

Cheers,
Gregor.

Not sure about Natural Hostery, but Natural History would be fairly broad in my opinion. Usually (like with our very own Photographer of the Year comp on here - shameless plug) it's all down to how you, the photographer interprets it. Unless the club, of competition owner(?) specifies exactly what they mean then I guess it's up to you.

Obviously, wouldn't expect to see too many architectural shots in a Natural History comp, but would expect that there's be lots of flowers, bees, animals, and landscapes.

Oh, almost forgot - Welcome to the forums btw.

Firs toff I'd recommend speaking to one of the established members of the club or a committee member as each club can have slightly different rules.

I'm a member of Preston Photographic Society and the categories we have are:

Fox Talbot: Traditional prints from film and processed by yourself in a darkroom.
Mono: A printed or digital image of any subject consisting of 2 colours (usually black and white but sepia and duo-tone are also allowed)
Colour: A printed image in colour of any subject.
Projected: Any projected image of any subject in either mono or colour.
Theme: Each month there is a given theme where the image can be either printed or projected. There are often some very loose interpretations of the theme but the images that score the highest tent to fit the theme perfectly.

We don't have Natural History as such but I'd say it was a photo of any living thing in its natural habitat/surroundings.

Back