Competition entries

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I'n after advice on some competition entries that my employer runs for staff to enter. Basically it has to be something transport operated by the DB group in order to be eligible. I've got too many to whittle down in my own mind, I want to enter just 2 shots from the selection below. What they're looking for is promo style shots they can use elsewhere whilst giving a bit of money to the photographer. First prize is £300, £150 for second and £75 for third. The winner goes through to a 'best of year' draw with the 3 from other quarters which can net a further £600 (and hopefully a 5D II if I manage that!)

Thanks for any critique and input, I'm also open to opinions on different way to process and finish the images, nothing is outlawed and previous entries have included compositing, selective colour etc as a useful gauge of PP.

67018 Bordesley by MJ Wilson, on Flickr

60007 Gatcombe by MJ Wilson, on Flickr

Voyager Bordesley by MJ Wilson, on Flickr

Voyager Croome by MJ Wilson, on Flickr

Voyager Eckington by MJ Wilson, on Flickr

Cardiff Sunset by MJ Wilson, on Flickr

I appreciate you looking and commenting folks, I wanted some perspective from those who may not be just railway photographers.

Last edited:
the only one i like is the last the light is great..the sun reflecting off the tracks is stunning..

Personally I like number 2 and number 5 (although I would prefer the train less central, perhaps a different crop)

The reasoning for not choosing number 1 (even though I like the picture) is because you all the gas coming from the top - if they want to use that commercially any promotion regarding 'environmental' stance wouldn't really work.

The last image is really nice too though hmmm....

Tiss, it's my personal front runner too, I think the lines trailing off into the distance is the icing on it and ironically it was about my 20th shot since getting the 5D!

Chuck, I see what you say, it's mostly heat haze but your point stands.

Last edited:
Yeh that's what I'd go for in terms of crop, only suggestions though :)

While that is an excellent collection of railway-related photos, I absolutely love the last one on two counts; 1) obviously the lighting and 2) how the shiny rails lead your eyes deeper into the photo.

Cheers, I think it's certain the sunset shot will be entered. What I will do is clone a section of rail where you can see it's missing because of a shunting signal. Just a minor annoyance to me.

Evening once again all, I've now had a proper play with the 2 final entries, the crop before was off my phone. Now I'm probably going to be guilty of trying too much and overdoing it, but I've removed some of the objects blocking the track reflection and also added a bit of sky taken at a similar time and place to make the sunset shot more interesting.

Entry 1
comp1h.jpg

Entry 2
comp2z.jpg

Opinions greatly appreciated before I get these sent off.

Some impressive photos you`ve got there. Last year I had a bit of luck in winning South West Trains photo competition so I know from experience that these rail companies love to see their trains, their people and their logos in use.

Now my personal favourite is the sun on rails shot but would they pick it as a winner ? The reason Im saying that is due to anyone not educated in the world of DB would they know whether its DB related ? I think they would probably pick the voyager.....

By the way Im not always right, so don`t blame me if Im wrong. :LOL:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/southwesttrains/sets/72157627398767409/

Last edited:
rail companies love to see their trains, their people and their logos in use.

I'd have to agree with this; corporate branding is the only real 'must have' in a PR shot, and having the human face of a company is always going to win out over hardware shots, no matter how nice they are.

I think this is a nice set of images; I like the viewpoint over the canal, and the colours/vanishing point in the sunset shot. But, as a complete alien to the world of trains, I would look at these and just see pretty pictures of trains.

Last time around this finished second
full.jpg

This won 2011 photo of the year
full.jpg

And I've finished second with a sunset shot myself.
In terms of corporate livery/logo I do have this shot also

IMG_0730 by MJ Wilson, on Flickr

It's hindsight now Matthew, however I wish you had taken a shot either side of numbers 1 and 5 and created panos.

The first would have made a stunning cityscape in my opinion.

Last edited:
Ah well thats blown that theory out of the water Matt :LOL: Your`e going to have to use your gut feeling then.
When the deadline?

Ps whats the DB connection to the bus ?

Dorset said:
Ah well thats blown that theory out of the water Matt :LOL: Your`e going to have to use your gut feeling then.
When the deadline?

Ps whats the DB connection to the bus ?
Dealine for entries is 25th April. The bus is operated by Arriva and so is owned by DB since their big money takeover.

Swiss, the cityscape shown is all you can see from there with buildings either side. It is certainly possible with shot #5 though.

Of course I forgot about Arriva actually being a bus company :bonk:. Not long until the deadline then Matt, good luck with your entries and keep us posted on how you get on.
Thankfully your post has given me a kick up the **** to get out and try and get some photos in the bag for our next SWT competition :geek:.

Best of luck on your entries then, I've got more ideas too, just finding the time to get out and do them. The Midlands to Darlington is a big old round trip.

Love 3, beautiful!

Matt, sorry to be a "stick in the mud" here but I get the impression that some of these images do not belong to you. If that is the case then they shouldn't be published on the forum mate.

Going back to your pictures, I thought #3 was excellent.

Andy

Really nice images, absolutely love number one and i really like how youve framed 3 and 5

Back