complete lighting newbie, advice please

AlanBeard

Hairy Bum
Name
Simon
Edit My Images
No
Ok, so i've never been one to use flashes much, but it's something i've always wanted to explore. I have (or have en-route to me) a large Calumet brolly/stand/clamp/wireless trigger and a Sigma EF-500 DG ST flash. I would like to buy a Speedlite, but until i have some more experience i don't particularly want to fork out the money. I'm also looking at getting a reflector, but i don't have one yet.

I thought i'd try mucking around with mine and my brother's cars in an underground car park nearby that would work quite well, both cars are dark blue so that simplifies things a bit. Can anyone give some tips as to how to where to position the flash setup etc? any assistance is appreciated, and don't worry if you're explaining things too simply, i really have no experience in this area at all!

Cheers in advance.

Ok, so I've had a good read through the 101 and it's raised a few more questions. Firstly, I've found out that my flash is incompatible with my camera, and Sigma want ~£40 to replace the controlling chip. Now for around the £70 mark I can get myself a Canon 540EZ which is a massive jump up from my Sigma in terms of functionality. Does this seem worth it? I know the Yongnuo 602s can't transmit TTL info so the more control I have the better.

Last edited:
I'd be surprised if a single flash and umbrella will give sufficient light for something the size of a car, unless you are going for some dramatic partially lit shots.

Back