Completely incorrect pictures in 2 papers today

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
Both the News of the World and the Star (I think) carried the wrong picture of a Shane Long goal at Reading v West Brom yesterday. The shot they both used and captioned as him scoring was actually a miss from 2 yards out that got skied over the crossbar.

What's going on if they cant get the right picture showing the only crucial event in the game? Bonkers. Maybe the tog didn't caption it properly, or someone on the pic desk didn't read it.

Clearly the incorrect picture they used wasn't mine otherwise I wouldn't be so unhappy about it :D.

Nothing in for me today. I was swapping from my 400 to my 70-200 as Long was shaping up to shoot so missed ball on foot by about 0.5 of a second. Grrrrr.

I did however get a head-on of his celebration (what there was of it) whereas the papers used a side-on view that wasn't nearly as good IMHO :D.

Oh well....the joys of sports photography.

I have to gree with you Andy. I have seen it time and time again of right picture and wrong caption or vice versa.

I had a photo in our local rag of one guy going over for a try, the caption read 'Joe Bloggs goes over for Southend's 1st try' and it was in fact Southend's 4th try and scored by a completely different player.

Mistakes happen... I spoke to a tog last week (from on here but no names eh) that works for a certain agency.. they had a commision to shoot a game... they where pleased to see the pics used but not so pleased when they saw it was credited to me :( purely because i had done some work for the paper in previous weeks and someone just presumed.. hardley my fault of course..

Had a few instances with wrong pics.. maybe done purposely in some cases..in fact sure it has... plenty of cases of wrong credit but my best one is when accy played dagenham away.. a 6 hr journey.. i didnt go and instead covered a blues festival in burnley and they got an outside agency to do dagenham..

Next day theres pics of accy stanley playing at dagenham hundred of miles away and pics from the blues festival an hr later all credited to me in same paper... I am fast but not that fast :)

Last edited:
happens way to often, you'll be at a league 1/2 match, get a good cele when theres no other togs around, then you find that papers use a cele from a completely different match, whats the point??

happens way to often, you'll be at a league 1/2 match, get a good cele when theres no other togs around, then you find that papers use a cele from a completely different match, whats the point??

Or they use a stock image in the wrong kit, after you've sent in goal and cele.
Has something to do with budgets and contracts I reckon.

Or they use a stock image in the wrong kit, after you've sent in goal and cele.
Has something to do with budgets and contracts I reckon.

Depending on the image usage deals in place its probably cheaper to use a stock image of a player than either sending a snapper to a game or using an agencies pics from the game.

For League of Ireland coverage I've seen match reports using "stock" images of players from when they played with different clubs!
So however bad it looks having them in the away kit for a home match report, at least they are togged out for the right team!

I even spotted one on the website of our national broadcaster where a player from my club scored a goal but the image used in the match report was of a player from a different team, who happened to share the same surname as our lad.

Last edited:
It happens all the time in the local press up here. The 'togs I speak to at the game are all good guys [and gals], and are pretty clued up when it comes to identifying certain players, sometimes I think its the picture desk at the papers who make the errors.

Newspapers are run by accountants - artistic merit, editorial value or indeed anything else comes second best to who took it and the question of do we have to pay for it

Id have 2 helicopters sitting on my front lawn if every great picture got published

get over it

Back