Compliancy and html verify ?

Forbiddenbiker

The Enforcer
Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
Excuse me for asking for help on my non photographic business site guys.

Firstly I'm a self taught amateur and I constructed this site via cut and pasting and lots of experiment. This is about my tenth site, so although I know a bit, I actually still don't understand how half of what I should. :puke:

I've been trying to get my head around why my site now fails html verification and I'm quite lost.

Take the welcome page for example. www.optiflowuk.com

If you run it through www.validator.w3.org it gets 5 errors.

But for the life of me I can't work out what the heck to adjust....?? :help:

I'm wondering if I should put up the code to my php header file ... maybe its not coded right?

Thanks

Error 1: You need to point the HTML to the "xmlns", just copy paste this:
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
And put it in place of your <html>

Error 2: You haven't closed one of the divs.
Add </div> just before </body> at the very end of your page source.

All I can really work out atm, I think the <html> tag at the beginning is where most errors are steming from.

At a quick guess I would say its the use of your TM (trade mark) character symbol - its not HTML compliant.

edited to add:

try using &trade instead

edited to add 2:

Just noticed the character set you are using - if &trade does not work. Use &(ampersand)#8482

<html> should be your FIRST tag, right at the top of the document.

you're missing a </div> somewhere, make sure you count your tags in and out to make sure where one's missing.

Here's the top of one of my valid website pages
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en">

what's all this about:

<div id="box3">
<div class="t">
<div class="b">
<div class="l">
<div class="r">
<div class="bl">
<div class="br">
<div class="tl">
<div class="tr">

<p>Our typical work includes all servicing and maintenance,
re-starting, carburetor balancing, fork straightening, engine
rebuilds, diagnostics.</p>

</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>

That's crazy coding :thinking:

I recognise that!
It's one way of putting a graphical border around some content.
That markup is fine as long as you don't nest your borders, if you do then the cascading bit of CSS works against you.

Many thanks everyone ... its all sorted now on the welcome page thanks to all your good advice.....I'll come back to you about the other errors ...think I can sort them though.

Brill. :clap:

Error 1: You need to point the HTML to the "xmlns", just copy paste this:
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
And put it in place of your <html>

Error 2: You haven't closed one of the divs.
Add </div> just before </body> at the very end of your page source.

All I can really work out atm, I think the <html> tag at the beginning is where most errors are steming from.

That was it all nice one. (y)(y)... applied that to all my headers (and the last div within the footer) ...No errors. Thanks Wigster....just the sitemap to sort out now.

At a quick guess I would say its the use of your TM (trade mark) character symbol - its not HTML compliant.

edited to add:

try using &trade instead

edited to add 2:

Just noticed the character set you are using - if &trade does not work. Use &(ampersand)#8482

Gotcha, thanks (y) ..I've corrected a few ad used &#8482; ...written like that ...seems okay now?

<html> should be your FIRST tag, right at the top of the document.

you're missing a </div> somewhere, make sure you count your tags in and out to make sure where one's missing.

Thanks bud, wigster found the div for me. :)

Here's the top of one of my valid website pages
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en">

Done that now ... no errors (y)...I'll stick the language bits in too then.

what's all this about:

<div id="box3">
<div class="t">
<div class="b">
<div class="l">
<div class="r">
<div class="bl">
<div class="br">
<div class="tl">
<div class="tr">

<p>Our typical work includes all servicing and maintenance,
re-starting, carburetor balancing, fork straightening, engine
rebuilds, diagnostics.</p>

</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>

That's crazy coding :thinking:

Pretty though isn't it. :D :puke:

I recognise that!
It's one way of putting a graphical border around some content.
That markup is fine as long as you don't nest your borders, if you do then the cascading bit of CSS works against you.

I don't really know what nesting is ... But if its fine then its fine. Thanks for checking it.

Site loads very fast for me - 7K is lightweight, well done!

Overall the site looks good, but I've a few picky points.
1) The Home page link is tucked away at the bottom - it's usually more prominent.
2) Most sites have the logo clickable so you go back to the home page. This is especially relevant given point 1.
3) You don't need the drop-down menus. The toolbar button drop down showing two entries - a non-clickable italic page number and a link to a page. The non-clickable page number is confusing, get rid of it. The page in the dropdown appears to go to the same page as clicking on the top of the menu even though it has a different name - e.g. Specialities looks like it has a sub-page of Diagnostics which takes you to the Specialities page.

Sorted the menu and the logo link. (y)

I don't think Ive given the correct file size the first time round... lots of confusing results.

This is one of the results from a tool addon for firefox called; Information/ Document Size.

Documents (2 files)10 KB
Images (14 files)318 KB
Objects (0 files)
Scripts (2 files)22 KB (23 KB uncompressed)
Style Sheets (2 files)30 KB

Total379 KB (380 KB uncompressed)

So is that still okay?

There is something weird about your images.
For example RHtopLINE.png
The one on the website is 26.3 Kb
I downloaded it, opened in Photoshop, Save As PNG and the result is 3.09 Kb.
I also saved it as a GIF and the result is 315 bytes !!!!!
GIFs are particularly good where low numbers of colours are used and your borders are a classic example.

I can't work out why your original is so big, hopefully some else can enlighten us!
Re-save all your images and the overall page size will be dramatically reduced.

Minor point - there is no logical flow to the DIVs inside 'page'. You are using huge amounts of absolute positioning. As a general rule it's just asking for trouble with cross browser compatibility. Absolute positioning relies heavily on the box model and that gets treated in different ways by different browsers. You may be getting away with it - but you need to check. There are some free sites out there where you can enter a URL and it will send you back a screenshot of what they look like in a range of browsers. These sites wont tell you if the drop down menus are working but at least you will know if they look OK.

Their is something weird Isn't their ... lol, damn it I thought there was. ..Its like quantum inner space in that web folder ...As soon as I look, I can't find a problem!

I'll sort that png thing out, think I’ve spotted my error their as my png's are fireworks ... err not PS, Ah light dawns etc. That’s should make a lot of difference ta.

Interesting stuff about the box model, I think I was aware of that to some degree, I've avoided all padding and kept it simple... built like Lego yes.

I've looked for websites that do cross browser stuff before, I'll look again. It does seem fully stable in the top five and on the mobiles I’ve seen so far.

Back