Composite with Creative Edge studios

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
Just thought i'd share what I've been up to today.

Andy who runs the training has done a bunch of great composite images already, seen here http://www.creativeedgestudios.co.uk/

For 2 hours we took it in turns to photograph the model and make choices on pose and lighting.

Then for the afternoon we got take through the workflow Andy uses to create his composite images, with one of our own taken in the morning, and this is my image from the day.

Canary Composite by dancook1982, on Flickr

Some behind the scenes fun

View attachment 34933 View attachment 34934 View attachment 34935

Impressive stuff Dan. Love to hear the concept behind these projects and super processing for the final image, inspiring.

Oh to have a studio space... sigh...

Looks like a lot of fun! Nice job on the composite.

I have a friend in Hinkley who has a studio in her back garden... OMG, it is just to die for. It's totally fab! I wonder what the minimum workable size would be for a backyard studio?

I have a friend in Hinkley who has a studio in her back garden... OMG, it is just to die for. It's totally fab! I wonder what the minimum workable size would be for a backyard studio?

I think height of studio and building regs might be one of the issues,

This 'was' our garden when we moved in to our house - as it's a better photo than anything else i have.

I would plan to have a studio along the back of the garden as big as I can go really.. I will have to work it out.

47457_10150267798325227_6294631_n.jpg

47756_10150267798740227_5679236_n.jpg

Hi Dan. I love this style of work having been completing this myself for a while now. Even if it something you'll never use in your day to day work it's fun to do and it teaches you loads of new photography and photoshop skills, plus refines good workflow processes. I've seen Andrew Dobbles work for a little while now and he has produced a few good pieces of work, such as the spidey stuff. As for your picture, nice, I like it, however think the fire and flare is a bit overdone and possibly not completely necessary as they do not add to the image and the lighting in the image doesn't fully reflect these light sources. You have the perspective foreground to background and shadows just right which is a big fail on a lot of peoples work so well done. I'm guessing the overall colour cast is to blend colours and stuff from foreground to background?

Next step for you is to move forward with your own style and concept!

Hi Dan. I love this style of work having been completing this myself for a while now. Even if it something you'll never use in your day to day work it's fun to do and it teaches you loads of new photography and photoshop skills, plus refines good workflow processes. I've seen Andrew Dobbles work for a little while now and he has produced a few good pieces of work, such as the spidey stuff. As for your picture, nice, I like it, however think the fire and flare is a bit overdone and possibly not completely necessary as they do not add to the image and the lighting in the image doesn't fully reflect these light sources. You have the perspective foreground to background and shadows just right which is a big fail on a lot of peoples work so well done. I'm guessing the overall colour cast is to blend colours and stuff from foreground to background?

Next step for you is to move forward with your own style and concept!

Yes the colour cast is to make everything blend better, the flare and fire - more a technical exercise. I look forward to putting my own composites together.

Lots to think about when completing composites like this. You are getting a lot right so nice one fella but you need to consider the light on the model and the light sources shown, I'm not sure they match. Also have a look at light flares in films such as J J Abrams Star Trek and stuff like that, look to see how the light flares are and how they interact with foreground to background, sharpness, blur, etc. or... just fire a flash over someones shoulder whilst pointing straight at the camera whilst playing with different apertures and lens to see some real world effects. A good way to create a stock lens flare is to just set a flash at high power, set camera at F16 and firing straight at the camera just snap away at different settings. Generally the ambient fades to black and you are left with pretty awesome light source and flare shots which you can use blend modes to sit in a picture. The one here just looks a little... false.

I've noticed the clouds seem to be over the back of her head so maybe a tidy up on the masking. Also I think to finish this off it may need a selective sharpen on the model. Most composites do to be honest. Keep going fella. Nice work. Every composite completed is a step up on the learning curve.

Lots to think about when completing composites like this. You are getting a lot right so nice one fella but you need to consider the light on the model and the light sources shown, I'm not sure they match. Also have a look at light flares in films such as J J Abrams Star Trek and stuff like that, look to see how the light flares are and how they interact with foreground to background, sharpness, blur, etc. or... just fire a flash over someones shoulder whilst pointing straight at the camera whilst playing with different apertures and lens to see some real world effects. A good way to create a stock lens flare is to just set a flash at high power, set camera at F16 and firing straight at the camera just snap away at different settings. Generally the ambient fades to black and you are left with pretty awesome light source and flare shots which you can use blend modes to sit in a picture. The one here just looks a little... false.

I've noticed the clouds seem to be over the back of her head so maybe a tidy up on the masking. Also I think to finish this off it may need a selective sharpen on the model. Most composites do to be honest. Keep going fella. Nice work. Every composite completed is a step up on the learning curve.

Thanks a lot Marcus, I'll look into these things.

Back