Composure - a concise refresher

Edit My Images
Yes
Quite a nice video by David Thorpe highlighted on PetaPixel today, putting over the basics of composition in a nice friendly, easy to understand way

Getting an error trying to play the video at the moment.

I quite like a lot of the design elements of composition discussed on the Canon of Design blog, although the author does wind me up on a few things - insisting on "correcting" images to more closely fit the design principles, and not really addressing what it is that makes some images work so well when the photographer is so persistent in breaking some of the design "rules" (cf. his comments on Annie Leibovitz and limb-cropping). It's certainly refreshing to find someone who's prepared to challenge the dominance of the rule of thirds and point out that it's only a crude approximation of the older compositional theories.

Thanks for sorting out that vid Byker28i.
As someone who spends most of his lens time behind a 600 I am aware that I have a lot to learn about my shorter lenses.
I was particularly interested in the idea of using different focal lengths and then moving to obtain the same composition thus altering the background. Probably seems obvious to some folk.
I'm now off to find the 24-70 and to pester one of the cats.........I like new stuff.

Thanks again

cheers, cw

Last edited:
Cheers for that, Byker. Will have another look and listen in the morning.

As for Mr Wilson's comment about liking new stuff, well, don't we all?! GAS rules!!!

Thanks for that composition is definately my weak point :D

Any video with Barry Sheene in is worth watching :cool:

Well worth the watch and listen. Not sure how much new stuff I learned but it sure as eggs is eggs reminded me of plenty!

Now all I need to do is remember it all when I'm shooting.

Back