compressing pictures for file transfer in Linux help

Name
eugene
Edit My Images
No
This is all very new to me digital picture storage and files.
So i need to compress a bunch of piccies in a folder i created to send . Whats the most user friendly and reliable file compressor / zip application for use with Linux for
zipping up photos in a folder ?
If it can be loaded directly to the terminal in Linux that would be great, any suggestions please.

zip zipfilename.zip directory1 directory2...

to include sub-directories as well
zip -r zipfilename.zip directory1 directory2...

man zip or zip -h for help

I have Kubuntu and in the File manager I do this:
  1. Select a bunch of files
  2. Right-click
  3. Click "Compress"
  4. Choose Saving options. 'Compress to...' has all the options like password or compression type.
1691919367870.png
I think the file manager uses a program called 'Ark' to do it. Ark has an easy to use GUI when started from the program launcher menu.

Last edited:
I have Kubuntu and in the File manager I do this:
I think you missed the end of Eugene's post in which he wrote...
If it can be loaded directly to the terminal in Linux that would be great, any suggestions please.
...which I took to mean he was looking for a text mode interface, such as Beth described.

Be aware that if it's jpegs that you're compressing, in terms of file size, you might not be reducing the size by much at all, if anything significant, on account of jpegs already being compressed files.

I don't know the size of the folders, but as Weybourne says, images are unlikely to be compressed much. Have you thought about a transfer service like WeTransfer? Free up to a certain transfer size, and very reliable.

Yeah, the only reason I would compress/zip a folder of jpegs is to create a container file, so to speak, so that all photos are contained in a single attached file.

Back