Computer Clean Up System

Rocket

CTID
Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
Can anyone recommend a good Computer Clean up system. My system is running so slow at moment. I really don't want to reboot the entire system.
Was considering a downloadable but unsure of which one to use as there are so many out there and many come with hidden add on's.

Thanks in advance.

I agree with the above. CCleaner also has a registry cleaner.

First of all though, I would have a good look at any programs you can get rid of. Are there any versions of photo editors, games or other software that you no longer use? This will free up some hard disk space; if the disk is very full it can slow things down.
If so, use, add/remove programs to get rid of them. In theory add/remove programs should clear the registry entries for the software but to make sure nothing is left over, use a registry cleaner.

Also have a look at what is loaded at StartUp. When you install software it is not uncommon for it to add itself to StartUp which means it get loaded every time you boot up, even though you may only use it once in while.
There are some essential things that should be loaded - firewall, antiivirus, software but not a lot else.

After that run the antivirus and anti malware progs, then CCleaner.

You could also defrag the hard drive. Windows has a defragger but the are also free ones around.

If none of this helps then more memory is possibly the cheapest way of improving things.

When you said you don't want to reboot the entire system I'm guessing you are talking about reinstalling the OS. If so, it is not that difficult but you do need to be care you do not lose anything important. Possibly the easiest way is to buy another smallish hard drive (do they make small hard drives any more?) and install the OS on the new drive and keep your existing drive for storage.

Dave

Thank you all for the advise etc. CCleaner looks to be a good way to go, but first I will try a clean up, I am running AVG so I feel that's ok.

Mentioned,
Also have a look at what is loaded at StartUp. When you install software it is not uncommon for it to add itself to StartUp which means it get loaded every time you boot up, even though you may only use it once in while.
There are some essential things that should be loaded - firewall, antiivirus, software but not a lot else.

I have been using computers since 1999 and still struggle on certain things, can some one explain how I find the loaded software at start up that might affect start up, where do I look please ?.
Using Win 7

Thanks again...

Last edited:
Has anybody suggested that before you start doing some under the hood tinkering, make sure you have a back up? In case they haven't - backup everything essential!

Thanks Phil.
Learnt my lesson in the early days. Yes all is regular backed up on two external hard drives.

If you get Ccleaner, it has a Startup section and you can see and edit it all from ccleaner.

You can also run the inbuilt drive cleanup from start/admin tools disk cleanup.Is it a HDD or SSD, if normal hard drive also consider defragmenting it after removing uneeded programs and running CCleaner.Start up can also be accessed from start search/run box type in Msconfig.

It may be worth uninstalling apps you don't need, check what apps are starting along with the system and disabling all but the essentials, check for system updates and ensure they are all updated. Then run disk cleanup.
If that doesnt improve things, then use the ccleaner / malwarebytes type apps.

EDIT,
just noticed most of this advice has been posted already....

I'd also check the Overclockers forum - there a section in Software that has a sticky with all of the best free applications linked. It's where I go when I periodically decide the pain from cleaning is less than the pain of the ever slowing system :)

I do this for a living. As a couple others have mentioned, the issue will probably be a large number of "potentially unrequired programs" installed. Open task manager, processes tab & have a look if something is taking up all the processing power. Go to add/remove programs check everything installed, then Google stuff that you're not sure about (or ask back here) before uninstalling them. Also some anti-virus software can corrupt on the disk. I find this happens with AVG & also Trusteer Rapport - which is pushed onto people by online banking sites. If you have Norton, AVG or Rapport installed, uninstall them - having nothing is better than those. Look at Microsoft Security Essentials for freebie or Webroot AV for paid. Corrupted software can be difficult to remove & sometimes you will need to download an uninstaller (check back here). Get rid of any & every add-on toolbar in your browser.

Another vote for Ccleaner, but go to the builds section & download the "slim" version. https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds The same guys do Defraggler which is a defragmentation program. Power Tools Lite is a good safe registry cleaner. https://www.macecraft.com/slides/powertools-lite-2013/

Another possibility is disk errors. Open My Computer, right click the C drive, properties, tools, click check now. Tick both boxes & agree to schedule next time the computer starts. (Windows 8 will be slightly different). A Scan repair for a damaged hard drive can take several hours.

Virus cleaning:
Malwarebytes: https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/
AdwCleaner: https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/

Another vote for Malwarebytes, I've noticed it seems to find stuff others miss.

How old is the PC? Sometimes, they just seem slower as regular software updates use features that are more resource hungry.

Also... how much free space on drive C:? It can be as clean as you like, but if Drive C: is full it will be slow.

A full drive C: and not much memory is a real recipe for slowness.

If you have a drive C: and a drive D: (for example) both as logical partitions on the same physical drive, then having a full and badly fragmented drive D: will also have an affect on drive C:, and hence general performance, especially if you do not have a great deal of RAM.

Agreed on Malwarebytes as a once over for malware/av and Ccleaner to keep on top of temp files and other annoying bits and bobs. I've been using these for years and they have not broken a computer yet.

If you ever have a spare few quid and a bit of time on your hands then typically upgrading your computer to an SSD (if its within about 3 or so years old) will make a massive difference. Best of luck.
very happy to chat over pm if you ever need a furher hand or some advice.

To grab back a large chunk of hard drive space you may find it useful to examine this option:- How much space can be freed on 'C' drive.

After you have run windows own 'Disc Cleanup' in 'System Tools' you will then be offered 'Clean Up System Files' (this is a tab at bottom of the same pane). This will show all windows update files that can be removed. (choose to remove or not)

Do be aware that you can't roll back once these old windows update files are are removed. The 1st re-start after this clean also take a little time while the system updates during reboot.

As new updates are received the option to roll back will be available but only to latest update of course.

Thanks all for the replies. I performed my computer clean up and then using the trial Malwarebytes, plenty of space on my harddrive, Malwarebytes has cleaned the computer up nicley although internet surfing is a little slow even though I have a good connection speed.
Would it be worth while using the Ccleaner ?.

Definitely, will clean out all the old temp files plus lots of other unwanted tat.

CCleaner plus CCEnhancer - free download - which integrates with it and expands its functionality. I also agree with running Malwarebytes, but I'd avoid the downloads that make extravagant promises to 'clean and restore' your system. At best, they don't offer anything more than the reputable utilities people have recommended, at worst they'll try to sneak potentially unwanted programmes (PUPs) and malware into the download.

I'm using W7 64 bit and still do a full backup, reformat and reinstall if I think the computer's getting slow and wobbly. Don't know if this is still common practice, but it was years ago.

If you are running Internet Explorer don't forget the tab along the top called Safety. Click on and reveal Delete Browsing History. One click and then decide what you want to remove..............

See also my post 19 to clean C drive and you won't need CCleaner quite so much.

Last edited:
CCleaner is very good at this type of thing, well worth a try and I believe its free still, or at least it used to be.

CCleaner is very good at this type of thing, well worth a try and I believe its free still, or at least it used to be.

Still free and regularly updated. I haved used it for years.

Back