Beginner Computer help [emoji52]

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
So I bought a 4-Port 3.0 USB PCI-Express card and plugged it in to a spare slot on the motherboard but there doesn’t seem to be any power getting to the ubs as it’s not picking anything up

I’m quite the beginner at PC upgrades but I did google it and it seemed straight forward!

I’ve attached photos of what I’ve bought and where it’s plugged in to on the motherboard

Any help would be really appreciated

Thanks IMG_0793.jpgIMG_0794.jpg

Have you connected a power cable from the power supply to the large white slot on the card? (with 4 pins in it, make sure it is in the right way round too)

Should be fine in any of the PCIEX1_ slots.

Have you connected a power cable from the power supply to the large white slot on the card? (with 4 pins in it, make sure it is in the right way round too)

Should be fine in any of the PCIEX1_ slots.

I might be being mega thick but I didn’t buy a power cable as it said plug and play on the box [emoji35]
I’ll go back this week and buy one where will the power cable plug on the motherboard?

I might be being mega thick but I didn’t buy a power cable as it said plug and play on the box [emoji35]
I’ll go back this week and buy one where will the power cable plug on the motherboard?

There will be spare ones leading out from the motherboards power supply. Just plug in one that fits.

Dougie.

There will be spare ones leading out from the motherboards power supply. Just plug in one that fits.

Dougie.

There may be none at all if it is a shop pc. They don't want you to upgrade anything and wont waste a penny on a spare cable for you.

Where you plug the power into your pc, that box inside the case is called the power supply and it distributes power to all the components within the computer, so there will be cables going to the motherboard, to the cd drive if you have one and to the hard drives mounted in a rack inside the computer. The power supply should hopefully have a spare "molex" connector which is used in older hard drives and cd drives for power, about 2cm wide (as wide as the white socket on the card) with 4 pins on it. If you can see the edge of the cable it should be 1 yellow, 2 black, 1 red, all in a line.

That looks like a semi-modular Power Supply. The bare essential connectors, e.g. those for the motherboard are hard wired into the PSU.
The PSU would have been originally supplied with some additional plugin connectors for the other components.

If you do get a replacement connector to fit that PSU, make sure it's for the right brand. As I understand it, I think there are some brands that use the same physical connector as others, but with two of the connections transposed so best not to mix and match.

Back