Computer Help PLEASE!!

Yv

TPer Emerita
Name
Yvonne, pronounced Eve...
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok, I need to be able to dual boot my desktop. It currently boots from c drive into windows XP 64 bit, but because of one or two vital programs not running on the 64 bit OS, I want to dual boot it with Standard XP Pro. So, my first though is to partition the drive with a small partition just for XP and these 2 programs, but I am having problems working out what program to use to do this. Paragon parition will only do it from a recovery disc and cant find a way of creating that disc [and worried it might clear the whole drive in the prcess], Partition magic doesnt give any advice on its website, and theit support wants you to install software before you can actually use it and frankly I am pathalogically averses to installing anything with the name symantec attached to it.

So, anyone know the best program that can create the partition, whilst keeping existing data intact, on XP64bit, that isnt prohibitively expensive as I am not likely to be using this very often, although if it has a built in backup system [as those i have looked at so far do] that would be used more often?

For information, there is also a second HD, though I am assuming that as it runs as a slave, an OS boot cannot be put on there.

I have used http://partedmagic.com/wiki/PartedMagic.php to re partition a 32 bit Windows XP system. This worked great for me, and it's donate ware. You create a CD from the image provided and boot from the CD drive to carry out the partition mods.

A backup before doing anything like this is a really good idea. Power loss during the repartition is likely to total the disk content.

Last edited:
Back