Computer Help

Name
Renee
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok so we've taken the plunge and bought a second Mac so we are selling the PC. Unfortunately I have no clue what to sell it for so I was hoping some of you IT people could help me!!!

Compaq Presario that we've upgraded to:

AMD Sempron 1.81 Ghz
Radeon 920 OSE 128mb Video Card
768 mb RAM
90 GB Hard Drive
17" flatscreen CRT

It will also come with Elements and Civilizations as there is no real reason to keep software I have no use for.

So anyway I was thinking 200gbp but have no clue if that is stupid or not. So anyone who could help that would be appreciated. thanks!!!!

Not sure of price etc....but I would ask one of the techy bods on here how to 'clean' everything off correctly ie personal stuff etc....as you don't want to leave any traces around. :)

Thanks Glen. I had thought of that and I'm not sure how to do it as I don't want to get rid of all the software just what i've put in the software.... HMMMM asks techy people another ?

Hi Renee,

Its very difficult to price up 2nd hand systems these days. You only have to look at the kind of deals Dell are dishing out brand new at £329

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/desktops_good?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs

Personally I would say you "might" get £200 if you're lucky and its a decent TFT, probably around £150 if I'm honest because the base unit is quite an old spec.

If you google the model number on ebay and include finished listings you'll see what other people have managed to get for them.

As for wiping it, there should be recovery CDs that came with it, slap one in and let it flatten the pc and bring it back to the factory default. That'll be good enough for data protection for the most part. The other option is that you run a zero fill on it which writes data to every sector of the hard drive and effectlively wipes it properly. That takes several hours and you'd need a special boot disc (easier for you to meet me somewhere near work, give me the base unit and I could sort it for you).

So £200 isn't extortionate because you could pay £100 for a 17" TFT, the base unit is worth £100 I would say.

Go for it and see what happens :)

Thanks Matt I might take you up on having you wipe it (how much?). I want to keep the software though.... is that still possible? I need to move all my pics to the mac upstairs and then it'll be ok to go.

I'd be happy with 150gbp.

The way I'd value anything like this is to look on ebay for something similar that has sold (completed items search).

I've not looked for this spec system but I'd guess at about £70 or less. Might be worth £100 in the local paper.

CRT monitors are virtually worthless now so the only value is in the system box.

I'd love to be proved wrong and you sell for the figures you have in mind.

If you want the hard drive wiping Renee bring the tower round here. I will do it while you wait if you like..;)

Yeah a 17" CRT monitor is £60 brand new so as Robert says, the value of that is pretty much a write off. £100 is your top end price, I'd wipe it for you for nothing, doesn't take two minutes of actual person time, if you do a full zero fill it can take 4-5 hours so I'd just set it off and leave it going - but Busterboy is closer to you and might therefore be easier :)

Back