Computer screens/colour = possible problems

Name
Nicola
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been thinking.
I am new to photography and only have a laptop. My problem is that if I adjust the angle of my screen the colours on the screen vary and the contrast changes. This will be a problem when viewing photographs on it as I may end up spending time in photoshop playing around with the contrast and colour on the pic but I will never get a 'true' view of it prior to printing if that makes sense?
If the screen is more pushed back it has better contrast and darker colours, if it is more pulled forward it gets lighter colours and the contrast fades so I will never know what the picture looks like properly until it is printed.

How do others get around this problem?

laptops arent the best for this, first off, as mentioned colour variances depending on angle of screen, 2nd, the brightness changes depending on whether the power cord is plugged in or not(i think you can change that, it is part of the battery saving mode). better to get a dedicated screen to work or review on before printing. check your tvs as well, some of the more modern flatscreens have comp connections(no idea what quality would be like, but a couple of test prints should sort it out

If you really want to use a laptop, make sure that it has DVI output. Buy a good monitor. Calibrate it with hardware calibrator.

Laptop screens are useless for photography (for accurate colours, I mean, as they're probably ok for holiday snaps).

Back