Computer trouble

Name
terry
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All
Was just wondering if anyone knew how much it would cost to get someone in to sort out my computer..........
its all my fault, I was expecting a parcel, got a email from FedEx, which said that the weight was too heavy for free delivery!! It said open attachment for details on collection!!......and that was it!! Bl**dy computer has gone funny, I think with a virus.......all the short cuts cannot be used anymore, makes it impossible to open some programmes......so......need to get someone in to fix it, hence thread, need someone local to come in and fix!!
By the way, I am NOT computer literate......not at all!!
tel

There are still plenty of small computer repair shops around and this is the sort of thing they do all the time. I'd avoid the likes of PCWorld for repairs.

The simplest fix for a shop is to delete everything and install from scratch so if it works well enough to copy your files off do it now. If you already have a backup on say a plug in drive then don't connect it and risk infecting it. Copy to DVDs or a new plug in drive.

If you can't back up then tell the repairer you need the data off it.

good luck.

Oh and where in London are you in case anyone has a recommendation?

Run antivirus in safe mode, press f8 before it starts booting windows and select safe mode, open your.antivirus and let it run and see if it picks anything up, let me know how you get on :)

Most of these can be sorted out by malwarebytes, again installed and run while in safe mode if need be.
It can be daunting if not that experienced with dealing with such problems.

If you are getting false warning messages, google might help you find the the name of the beast and the best way to deal with it.

Thanks guys

Robert, I live in Barnet, North London!!

kentdiscos, My son did that last night! twice, one with Norton, and one he found on windows!! Thats about the end of my knowledge!! Complete pr*t when it comes to technology!! Quite a few years back now but when we started buying computers for the kids I was even scared to turn the thing on!!
tel

Hi Jack, just found something else thats gone wrong. I just tried to click on your websites, both of them, it will not let me do it!! Links / short cuts dont seem to work!!
tel

4wd....Tks mate, I really really appreciate everyones efforts, but to be honest after reading your first line................what!!
I really do appreciate your help but as said above, me and technology do not mix!! Think I will try and find local computer. The worst thing possibly is that I cannot get into my beloved MS simulator!!. LOL
tel
tel

Hi All
Just tried to download a link for malwarebytes and it will not allow me to download!! think I am stuck!!
tel

Hi Terry,

If it helps, I do PC Repairs in my spare time (day job is a Network Manager :) ) and am able to get to Barnet tomorrow evening (Weds)

Let me know if you want me to pop down and take a look - PM me - no fix, no fee :)

Cheers,
James

Ooo the links are probably not working in my profile.. I'll sort them now thanks

Try (use someone elses computer if needed) to get a download of combofix.
It will almost certainly fix everything this malware has done. I have used it to fix all the 'courier' zip attachments that were actually exe.

Hi Jack
Your a diamond. thanks for the links. The link I mentioned was 'your own' links (kentdisco's etc), they would not work for me......just tried now and seems there working.......more bl**dy trouble with the computer. Made an appointment with 'moos3h' (TP member), he is coming around tomorow, will update after......if there is an after!!
tel

Hi Almost....have tried but my computer will not allow anything to open, only the 'website' shortcuts!! My brain is going on holiday after this!!
thanks though
tel

Udate.......

Turned the computer on this morning and its all working again!! Started it up a few times, checked every shortcut, everything working as normal???? The short cuts have not been working for 2 days and yet this morning, without doing anything (because i'm useless with computers), its all working again. I just dont understand it!!
tel

Back