Computers - What have you tweaked today?

Decided after 2 bottles of vino ,, decided to overclock processor ,,,, got up to 4.6 mhz ,,, been running it with not much heat issues ,, thou dont know if i can see any difference ...
Plan to fit 2 evo ssd in raid 0 ,, when hangover goes ...

Has anyone else setup ssd in raid 0 ....... i back up all images to 1tb drive every few days ,,

4019524583.png

Slower than 92% of GB...lol

That's actually not bad....for me, might not be very busy yet though
What does bt suggest you should get? I was getting 2.5 with BT own modem. I now get 6.7 using a billion.

Ps. No other isp are not available everywhere ;)

I dunno, there are other isp's but they all have to work with the same bt copper, the line cannot support anything faster.
The exchage is fibre enabled, has been for years most of the cabinets are fttc except the odd one or two unlucky ones.
When I first moved here 3 years ago, all bb checkers suggested the likely speed to be between 1 and 1.4, since then bt has changed they're own estimation to between 1mb and 2mb, which makes it appear they're meeting the government target of 2mb minimum, without actually providing a useful service, all other isps quote the same 1 to 1.4 max.
I'm fannying about with EE and 4g because there is no other choice, there was no 4g only a short while ago, and whilst bt appear to have supplied me/us with the minimum, bt economics dictate we can like it or lump it.

I dunno, there are other isp's but they all have to work with the same bt copper, the line cannot support anything faster.
The exchage is fibre enabled, has been for years most of the cabinets are fttc except the odd one or two unlucky ones.
When I first moved here 3 years ago, all bb checkers suggested the likely speed to be between 1 and 1.4, since then bt has changed they're own estimation to between 1mb and 2mb, which makes it appear they're meeting the government target of 2mb minimum, without actually providing a useful service, all other isps quote the same 1 to 1.4 max.
I'm fannying about with EE and 4g because there is no other choice, there was no 4g only a short while ago, and whilst bt appear to have supplied me/us with the minimum, bt economics dictate we can like it or lump it.
Same as me. Copper was giving me less than 2MB with both BT and then EE. We now have 4G so the best I've got recently

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/1100886469

Overall cheaper than phone and Broadband as well for 20GB per month.

I've wasted hours with one of these... :( Anybody got a recommendation for something that does what the 2860 promises to do?

Having a nightmare trying to allocate multiple external BT IP addresses. Having said that, BT don't make it straightforward.

Apparently, this is how >> http://www.csharplibrary.co.uk/post...rk-with-BT-Infinity-static-IP-addresses3.aspx, I remember doing this requirement previously although I dont recall having to configure a VLAN on the router for the routed subnet :confused:

Will have a think and come back to you :)

Ok fair enough you can use another isp (although I've got choice of three only) but all use the same bt connection. From direct experience switching to someone else for the billing has no benefit whatsoever. In fact I found them like O2 quite restrictive.

Ok fair enough you can use another isp (although I've got choice of three only) but all use the same bt connection. From direct experience switching to someone else for the billing has no benefit whatsoever. In fact I found them like O2 quite restrictive.

Changing from one ISP on a BT line to another is not "switching to someone else for the billing". While the physical connection remains the same, and possibly the backhaul to the ISP, everything else is different. ISPs providing service using BT 20CN or 21CN backhaul are very much not all the same.

I noticed it got worse ;) as I said there is only choice of three here in the local exchange. And when you have an issue you call them and BT comes out ;) The country side (and I'm only 30 miles away from London) is not as blessed as many other parts of the country.

Apparently, this is how >> http://www.csharplibrary.co.uk/post...rk-with-BT-Infinity-static-IP-addresses3.aspx, I remember doing this requirement previously although I dont recall having to configure a VLAN on the router for the routed subnet :confused:

Will have a think and come back to you :)

Cheers Neil, making a bit more sense. I don't have BT Infinity, only ADSL, but I can't see it making much difference. I found something the other day which was on the BT support pages but appears a bit contradictory.

I can't see why a VLAN is involved either, especially as I don't want to introduce an external Firewall. This should be easy but, hey-ho ;)

Did a factory reset on my parents spare ASUS laptop that was getting slow. They only used it for updating and scanning for viruses. Anyway boot, F9, yes, OK and whoopee. A nice clean running version of,... er... Windows Vista.
Hmm. I think Xubuntu will end up on it before too long.

Last edited:
Same as me. Copper was giving me less than 2MB with both BT and then EE. We now have 4G so the best I've got recently

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/1100886469

Overall cheaper than phone and Broadband as well for 20GB per month.

I see that's from your phone, so what mifi device are you using to hook up a router, mine has a micro usb port, thats it, its also its charge point, anything that wants internet has to be wireless

nowt wrong with vista. assuming its not minimum spec hardware :D
My daughters early Vista PC became unusable after a year or so. And Vista had bad reputation compared to XP and 7.But I presume, from your comment, that things have got better then?

My daughters early Vista PC became unusable after a year or so. And Vista had bad reputation compared to XP and 7.But I presume, from your comment, that things have got better then?
vista was fine from SP1 onwards. providing it was run on reasonable hardware.

ran 64 bit for a fair while before going 7 and had no major bother compared to XP or 7.

I noticed it got worse ;) as I said there is only choice of three here in the local exchange. And when you have an issue you call them and BT comes out ;) The country side (and I'm only 30 miles away from London) is not as blessed as many other parts of the country.
None of that means that you are prevented from using a good ISP. I use and recommend A&A, but Zen are also excellent (and while I have no experience of them I imagine Claranet are also of a similar standard). All are available on BT lines and do not require any other network to be "in the exchange".

I'm over 100 miles from London and in the countryside as well.

vista was fine from SP1 onwards. providing it was run on reasonable hardware.

ran 64 bit for a fair while before going 7 and had no major bother compared to XP or 7.
I used it as well. The early days of BSODs were overcome by SP1, but the number of clicks when a UAC prompt came up was always excessive until 7 was released.

BSODs in drivers were ironic, as one of the major changes in Vista was to start running drivers at ring 3 rather than ring 0, which should have stopped them bringing the whole OS down.

I've wasted hours with one of these... :( Anybody got a recommendation for something that does what the 2860 promises to do?

Having a nightmare trying to allocate multiple external BT IP addresses. Having said that, BT don't make it straightforward.
What are you trying to achieve? Do you have multiple routeable subnets coming over the connection or just one?

Until a few weeks ago I had been using a cheap-as-chips (well, free with my FTTC connection) Thompson/Technicolor TG582 as a router for my block of 16 IPv4 addresses. I had a few addresses reserved for DHCP and the rest were statically assigned by the individual devices that needed to be directly reachable (SMTP, SSH, SVN, HTTP, IMAP servers, plus a couple of RDP connections). Note that when in a mode where it is not NAT-ing the connection it passes everything through, there is no intrustion prevention at all - I was using a separate hardware firewall between it and the switch.

I've since replaced the router and the hardware firewall with pfSense in a VM, which talks PPPoE to the VDSL modem (replacing the router), acts as a firewall and lets me do more IPv6 things, plus it is way, way easier to manage.

I am a home user. NAT is evil. I don't like the principle which requires a network (or internet, if using the TCP/IP model) layer device to understand transport and even application layer protocols to function and consequently be broken by new protocols - it inhibits development, especially of transport layer protocols.

I don't actually need to be able to RDP or SSH into everything on the default port for each protocol, rather than bodging port address translations through a NAT router, or to run servers (now all as VMs rather than recyling old boxen with debian installs like I used to), but it's fun to experiment and being able to get data out of my home network when in random places is convenient.

People are talking about NAT on IPv6, which has enough address space for every grain of sand to be individually addressed and then loads left over. This would seem to be bonkers. If they are concerned about intrusion prevention they should set up a proper firewall. NAT is not a firewall (said in the same way as "RAID is not a backup").

edit: typo

None of that means that you are prevented from using a good ISP. I use and recommend A&A, but Zen are also excellent (and while I have no experience of them I imagine Claranet are also of a similar standard). All are available on BT lines and do not require any other network to be "in the exchange".

I'm over 100 miles from London and in the countryside as well.
I'm bored of this now, but no I disagree been there done it and no difference.

NAT is evil.
No it isn't....

Have to say I far prefer the idea of running a VPN back to a NAT'd home subnet than have to make sure everything is locked down without NAT.

we've got WSUS at work, it still takes forever over Gbit.

e: this is where system imaging is handy if you have one or a limited amount of systems. install OS, update, image. unfortunately for us we have such a variety of models and revisions it's not feasible.

WDS is quite good for this. We've a base image for Windows 7 used on a variety of hardware. Adding additional drivers to a base image is trivial.

I quite agree - but in this day and age you should need to resort to boxes all over the place... all I needed was for the 2860 to do what it says 'on the tin' - it came from BT's recommendation too (after I trashed their own offering). I just haven't the space (or the pocket for a massive Electrickery bill)

Someone has suggested a Billion 7800DXL modem/router but I'm apprehensive.

I've exactly this set-up and I figure it's possibly the cheapest way of achieving what you want. I picked up an atom board with dual ethernet ports for ~£30, complete with PicoPSU and memory. I added a CF card as a boot drive and an ITX case. It runs at about 10-11 watts so not too power hungry. There's the ISPs ADSL router connected to the WAN port, and an 8 port switch on the LAN port. Connected to the switch is a cheapo WiFi router as an access point. Thus far it's all been bullet proof.

Sequentially flashed 3 lots of firmware, then upgraded to ARHD 22.1 on my HTC One M8.

Been lazy upgrading recently as I am testing smart phone deployments at work and have a company supplied Samsung Galaxy 5 which is inferior in every possible way to the HTC despite appearing slightly better on paper although it also resembles a recycled Lego brick in the flesh - no idea why anyone buys a Samsung phone tbh...

Just tested mine, situated in Cornwall, where all the Buses etc. state "SUPERFAST BROADBAND IN CORNWALL":-

View attachment 27583

I live about 300M from my local exchange :naughty:

Last edited:
Humble stuff. Later than planned, replaced my just about full 500GB images drive with a 2TB drive (FWIW I used Tera Copy to 'copy' the files across) also added a 3TB which I have partitioned into two with one for duplicating the images files on the 2TB and the other for all other downloads & documents.

Next new drives will be externals probably Freecom Tough 1TB (maybe 2TB?) for backups..........................plus updating my NAS (current one is a ZyXel) also for images et al. Belt & braces rules i.e. duplication in the PC and NAS to mitigate for possible single physical drive failure and externals large enough to hold the data.

I see that's from your phone, so what mifi device are you using to hook up a router, mine has a micro usb port, thats it, its also its charge point, anything that wants internet has to be wireless

pretty sure MIFI is wireless only.

A bit more detail as you are both correct. I'm using an Osprey MyWiFi device from EE. And it's only USB port is for a charger. I do have it plugged into my EE Brighbox router's USB port but only for charging purposes to save on connections.

I'm typing this from a Power Mac which has a wired ethernet connection into the Brightbox router. The router is also broadcasting wifi where my phones connect into normally as well. The WAN port on the Brightbox router is connected to a TP-Link 150M Wireless N Mini Pocket Router Model No. TL-WR710. This Mini Router is set up in WISP Client Router Mode:

WISP Client Router: In this mode, the device enables multiple users to share Internet connection from WISP. The LAN port devices share the same IP from WISP through Wireless port. While connecting to WISP, the Wireless port works as a WAN port at WISP Client Router mode. The Ethernet port acts as a LAN port.

This Mini Router is picking up the Osprey WiFi and bridging it to the Brightbox. In addition, the Mini Router is also broadcasting it's own wifi. The Brightbox Router is also set up in Bridge mode on the same subnet as the TP-Link router. The Osprey is on a different subnet. To complicate the matter further I've another TP-Link device as an Entertainment Adapter which connects Sky and other boxes to the internet. These are all wired devices so this TP-Link device converts four wired connections into Wifi and these are linked to the Brightbox via wifi. Also on the Brightbox is a wired connection to a media server.

So in summary I have three wifi networks - Opsrey, TP-Link and Brightbox - all of which I can connect any device to and get to the internet and the phones can pick up which ever one has the best signal.

The Osprey is running DHCP on one subnet and the TP-Link is also running DHCP on another subnet. The Brightbox is not running DHCP and all it's devices pick up the IP address from the TP-Link mini router (including the Sky box etc.)

It took a while to get stability and I tried messing around with DNS servers etc but all devices are using the default DNS at the moment which is coming via the Osprey box.

Hope this makes sense?

no offense but sounds like a bit of a messy set up.
It is slightly but the Osprey box is limited to 10 devices to connect (and conecting my second Sky box would have breached this number) and the wireless signal from the Brightbox is stronger than the Osprey. I could not find a better way of connecting the Osprey Mobile BB to my existing router without using a Tp-Link type bridge. If any one has a better solution (without spending lots of £s) then I'd be interested?

That's the trouble with a mobile mifi device being sold as a home bb solution.
I don't understand any of that WISP, WAN, DHCP subnet stuff, its not my profession, it doesn't look like a simple task to connect NAS and a printer anyway :/

On a more positive note, from 7 to 12 to 25 today
Downloads going up :) Uploads going down :(, I know which I prefer, it does seem a bit.....variable though.

4023913060.png

Last edited:
That's the trouble with a mobile mifi device being sold as a home bb solution.
I don't understand any of that WISP, WAN, DHCP subnet stuff, its not my profession, it doesn't look like a simple task to connect NAS and a printer anyway :/
Having been through this once, doing it again should be relatively straightforward. If you NAS and printer are already connected to your existing 'wired' router then I think theTP-Link 150M Wireless N Mini Pocket Router Model No. TL-WR710 in between will work to enable your existing router (and all devices on that router) to see the internet. You will need to re-confgure your existing router though to make it work. I'm not a networking guy but have spent too many years with PCs, Macs etc...

A

@AlistairD
It seems like there's an unnecessary additional router in there, what is the mini one doing that an ordinary wireless router won't, I don't think I'm gonna pass the 10 devices mark if its for additional connectivity.

The mini one is bridging between the Mobile wifi device and my existing wireless router. As the Mobile wifi has no wired ethernet connection, I needed to find a way of allowing devices on my existing network to get Internet access.

So why not connect the MiFi directly to your existing wireless router, and forget the mini :)

So why not connect the MiFi directly to your existing wireless router, and forget the mini :)
There is no wired ethernet or working USB connector to do so. Wifi is the only way and I'm not sure how to set up my existing router as a repeater which I think I would need to do (but I'm not an expert.)

There is no wired ethernet or working USB connector to do so. Wifi is the only way and I'm not sure how to set up my existing router as a repeater which I think I would need to do (but I'm not an expert.)

Not done anything with this Osprey thing but if you connect it to your pc via usb, do you still need to access internet via wireless or is it then hardwired ?

Not done anything with this Osprey thing but if you connect it to your pc via usb, do you still need to access internet via wireless or is it then hardwired ?
I've not tried it that way but it should work if you just plug it into your Windows USB port. It is in the Quick User guide. I wanted it for it's wifi capability

A

Back