Computers - What have you tweaked today?

30" is my usual screen. Or dare I say a more useful figure: 2560x1600 is my usual desktop. Although I think my SF3 is higher resolution in just 12".

I have 2 x 27" and a 24" giving 7040 x 1440 (well, the 24" is only 1200). I also have 3 virtual desktops - never enough space ;)

Lol I didn't count my virtual desktops :)

Are you guys connecting with display port fur the sub 4k resolutions or HDMI?

Display port

I have 2 x 27" and a 24" giving 7040 x 1440 (well, the 24" is only 1200). I also have 3 virtual desktops - never enough space ;)

That's insane! I do have 3 virtual desktops myself, but I rarely use them. Oh, I also have an old monitor I connect sometimes, but it's not really useful - poor viewing angles, low resolution and small... And if I forget to turn it off, it can cause more problems than good.

Ok, ok I've been away from Windows for a while but I've just been battling with it. Getting all my accounts setup in Outlook 2013 and then finding out there is no unified folders. Whaaaat! Seriously in 2015 Microsoft thinks people have a single email address and want to navigate to each individual folder....Jeez unless I've missed something badly I just cannot believe how stupid that is...

So for now I had to do it all again and use Firebird instead but now I'm missing out on all the integration with OneNote, the touch enabled interface blah blah. Sure I should have investigated this, but come one you can't be serious if as a business tool to keep it all separate.....Grrrr

I've been gaming at 2560 x1600 for the last 8 years. My old tin had 8800 Ultras in SLI, then 250 GTs in the same config. the 980 copes solo. Prior the that I ran 3 CRTs, which one 30" monitor (HP LP3065) replaced.

I'm intending to upgrade this year, but I see no reason to go multi monitor again, the main problem is either they are too small or the vertical resolution isn't what I am used to eg. 1440 this is a nice looking monitor but too short LG 34UC97.

Anything larger than 30" seems to be 1080p or ultra-wide as above and I don't intent to lose vertical resolution. All the 4K stuff seems to be maxed out at 27" :(

Can't agree more. 16:9 sucks. Vertically, a 27" screen is not much taller than a 24" 16:10. The new 4K NEX Reference series will be 32" 16:9 though... so that may not be so bad. Price will be north of £2K though.

Ok, ok I've been away from Windows for a while but I've just been battling with it. Getting all my accounts setup in Outlook 2013 and then finding out there is no unified folders. Whaaaat! Seriously in 2015 Microsoft thinks people have a single email address and want to navigate to each individual folder....Jeez unless I've missed something badly I just cannot believe how stupid that is...

So for now I had to do it all again and use Firebird instead but now I'm missing out on all the integration with OneNote, the touch enabled interface blah blah. Sure I should have investigated this, but come one you can't be serious if as a business tool to keep it all separate.....Grrrr

I haven't used Outlook in quite some time .. I'm sure there's at least an "All Unread Items" view?

Unfortunately there isn't :( not across multiple accounts. Plenty of "workarounds" online but they all break access via mobile devices.

in 2015 Microsoft thinks people have a single email address .....Grrrr
They don't care. As a monopoly it's their job to be lazy.
Dump Outlook and One Note, and try to find a better all round solution. The more people who stick with Microsoft, the lazier they get.

Last edited:
If you just want a no nonsense e-mail client for POP3 and SMTP then just use Thunderbird. It just works.

If you just want a no nonsense e-mail client for POP3 and SMTP then just use Thunderbird. It just works.
Not with a touch interface on a hidpi screen it doesn't. ;)

Oh and POP3 is the spawn of the devil ...

Ps. I've tamed it a little, Windows 8.1 Mail is configurable as an acceptable compromise. Not as good as I am used to, but usable.

I've moved my contact sync to google and my calendaring via my exchange account and seems to be working. Although both a lot slower to sync than using carddav/caldav.

Last edited:
Ugh!... [shudder]
It is actually really really good the touch interface. A bit disjointed in places but very good.

Microsoft Visio and Project are great. One not is brilliant and Adobe CC is just awesome.

Mail, contacts and calendaring remains the weak point.

It is actually really really good the touch interface. A bit disjointed in places but very good.

A bit disjointed in places doesn't sound particularly good to me.

I'll stick to a mouse and graphics tablet thanks.

A bit disjointed in places doesn't sound particularly good to me.

I'll stick to a mouse and graphics tablet thanks.
Oh no, millions times better that graphics tablet and mouse etc. the disjointed part is just my general gripe with windows. The combination is really really good. I've just had the tablet and two external monitors connected. Wow. Amazing stuff for this little device.

Oh and office 365 (including Visio/project) and Adobe CC crossover beautifully.

Last edited:
Oh no, millions times better that graphics tablet and mouse etc. the disjointed part is just my general gripe with windows. The combination is really really good. I've just had the tablet and two external monitors connected. Wow. Amazing stuff for this little device.

Oh and office 365 (including Visio/project) and Adobe CC crossover beautifully.

So you're retouching with your finger? How does that work?

Finger, active pen, it works really well actually.

This gives a decent idea.

That's just moving stuff around the screen... I meant retouching,

It was just a sample video, use your imagination ;)

It was just a sample video, use your imagination ;)

I am doing... I'm trying to imagine using a targeted heal brush, or creating a clipping path with my finger... or a complex free hand mask. My finger would be over the area I'd actually need to see. This may be OK for moving stuff around, or moving sliders in a global processing program like Lightroom, but that's about all.

re ./configured apache and re-ran make on one of our servers to change the MPM model. The current source distribution uses event and I'm swapping back to prefork for performance reasons. Holding off on make install until later though as the site is busiest in the morning.

re ./configured apache and re-ran make on one of our servers to change the MPM model. The current source distribution uses event and I'm swapping back to prefork for performance reasons. Holding off on make install until later though as the site is busiest in the morning.

I thought there was a flavour of Apache2 called apache2-mpm-prefork available in most distributions? I'm no expert with Apache, but figure this might be relevant to you.

I am doing... I'm trying to imagine using a targeted heal brush, or creating a clipping path with my finger... or a complex free hand mask. My finger would be over the area I'd actually need to see. This may be OK for moving stuff around, or moving sliders in a global processing program like Lightroom, but that's about all.
There is a very very accurate active pen as well ;)

There is a very very accurate active pen as well ;)

And why do you think they include that then? :) Could it be for when you need to do fine work that stabbing at it with your fat finger would be useless? I think so, yes.

I thought there was a flavour of Apache2 called apache2-mpm-prefork available in most distributions?
There is, but when the distribution package management on that particular server is irretrievably broken (long, long story) everything has to be built from the upstream source tarballs.

You could do this...http://www.slipstick.com/how-to-outlook/how-to-create-a-unified-inbox/

What I tweaked today: found out how to get on the "Canary" ring for Windows 10 TP. Running build 10020...!

Not allowed to talk about it, to be honest ;-) ...I like it though. Lots more perf than earlier builds on the TP, too

as long as they resolve the memory issues and do something about the fugliness I'll be happy.

Dude, you're running a TP that's on the fastest build release cycle that you can imagine. All TP OS from MS will have a shedload of debug code running to capture telemetry so you should expect them to have a higher memory footprint than when they go to lean GDR. I've been on all milestone builds for the last 8 months or so and haven't seen memory problems per se. But it'll be a solid release. Fugliness I'm not going to comment on but I don't have a problem with the look and feel...

I quite like the look and feel. Am just on the normal tp.

Back