Conceptual Photography - Fast Food Chains!

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
For my project im portraying the extraordinary ordinary - if you get it - where by im photographing the truth behind the well known fast food chains such as McD's, Burger King and KFC!

I have been looking for examples of such work or similar work. I quite like David Nitsche's work! and would love to apply a similar feel to my work but with the truth of our well known restaurants.

Ideas include replacing the burger with some fat spewing over the sides to show what we're really consuming. Turning a Mcd's cup in a see through cup with coke showing the rot of our teeth!

anyone got any instant ideas how i can play on this and give inspiration as ive drawn a blank and only so much i can show with just a fatty burger n chips!
:bang:

You could go for making your own burger with cardboard 'bun' and plastic for the meat.
Or maybe work it from a different angle. Don't just go for the food, go for the knock on effect these places have.
The chicken farming, the lack of a good evening family meal. Fat kids.
A massive corporate machine that is designed to take your money at every angle.
Pester power.

ye thought about sculpting my own food, but its not really showing what we are secretly eating?!?

sumthing like blood and chicken heads in the KFC bucket

ye thought about sculpting my own food, but its not really showing what we are secretly eating?!?

sumthing like blood and chicken heads in the KFC bucket

I'd suggest some investigation into what actually is the truth behind the food. I'm not sure how "blood and chicken heads" is any more relevant to KFC than it is to Granny's sunday roast.

If you want some real grot, you need to see what goes into "formed meat" chicken/turkey products. Now that is nasty stuff, but you won't find it used by the major chains since Jamie went for the Twizzlers, but you will find it in cheap catering grade products and budget brand products cooked at home.

You also have to watch for the US/Europe differences.. some of the charges levelled at the major chains in the US in prominent documentaries (e.g. hormone injections for beef cattle) don't apply for those same chains in Europe (where such practices are illegal and monitored).

In the words of Deep Throat, "follow the money". Coming at this project from the money side might be more original and less cliched.

I'd suggest some investigation into what actually is the truth behind the food. I'm not sure how "blood and chicken heads" is any more relevant to KFC than it is to Granny's sunday roast.

If you want some real grot, you need to see what goes into "formed meat" chicken/turkey products. Now that is nasty stuff, but you won't find it used by the major chains since Jamie went for the Twizzlers, but you will find it in cheap catering grade products and budget brand products cooked at home.

You also have to watch for the US/Europe differences.. some of the charges levelled at the major chains in the US in prominent documentaries (e.g. hormone injections for beef cattle) don't apply for those same chains in Europe (where such practices are illegal and monitored).

In the words of Deep Throat, "follow the money". Coming at this project from the money side might be more original and less cliched.

+1 on this. Follow the money is the way to go - eg the US food pyramid - why does it have wheat at the top when wheat has been shown to be bad for pretty much everyone? because it is paid for by Amircan agri-business who make shed loads out of producing wheat. /rant

I may be completely out in left field here, but I'd be mindful of potential repercussions of doing things like this, particularly if you are intending on using trademarked logos etc. as you could be open to defamation issues.

As I say, I may be completely wrong, but it's something worth checking first I think.

I may be completely out in left field here, but I'd be mindful of potential repercussions of doing things like this, particularly if you are intending on using trademarked logos etc. as you could be open to defamation issues.

As I say, I may be completely wrong, but it's something worth checking first I think.

I think certainly if you're going to be making claims and naming organisations, you need to be very certain of the facts.

As well as the potential repercussions and lack of awareness of the actual food standards etc employed by fast food chains operating in the UK the whole idea seems to be one big "6th form veggie angst" cliche.

The actual idea of showing the dark side of an everyday scenario is a good one though, just needs a bit more thought.

IMHO obviously.

I think certainly if you're going to be making claims and naming organisations, you need to be very certain of the facts.

Yep a certain fast food chain has no hesitation going to court over trademark or bad food claims, they will jump on you with both feet if your not very carefull what you say.

Back