Concern over Amazon order...

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
Last week i ordered a lens through Amazon.
I chose to buy off Amazon as the lens (Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM) came with £40 cashback from Canon, which made it cheaper than buying from any of the HK suppliers. (list price £454 minus £40 = £414 bargain!!)
I was very careful making sure it was actually from amazon uk, and not a marketplace seller, even accessing amazonuk from the Canon cashback website!
However...after receiving my order confirmation it stated the item was being 'expedited' and could take an extra 2-3 days delivery !
Now i ordered a Tamron lens last year and exactly the same happened, and it turned out the Tamron lens was from France and i had problems registering it for the extended UK warranty (sorted it out in the end though)
I'm now worried after i try to claim the cashback i'll receive a letter from Canon, saying the lens is a grey import and doesn't count for the cashback offer.
I'll wait and see what happens before shouting down the phone at Amazon, but i'm wondering surely it's like fraud if Amazon uk are selling a lens and stating you can get cashback when you can't? false advertising at least?
hopefully all will be ok.
oh also, i opted for super saver delivery as i thought because of the value of the item Amazon would send it via courier anyway! (they've done this in the past with orders so why waste the extra £8+ on a courier when they will send it via courier regardless?), but theres no tracking info available, it just says posted by Royal mail??:thinking:

note to mods...maybe this should be in the shopping/supplier section?

Last edited:
I've noticed alot of items on amazon recently have been requiring 2-3 days extra for delivery. They may be having warehouse problems or are moving stock around to accomodate for the christmas rush. I wouldn't worry for the time being, however when you receive the lens I think the first port of call is to check the serial numbers and call canon straight away to confirm whether or not you will be able to claim cashback.

If they say you can then great, if they say no, then it's time to contact amazon and kick up a fuss (y)

surely it's like fraud if Amazon uk are selling a lens and stating you can get cashback when you can't? false advertising at least

Well possibly, but isn't it a bit premature to be posting these thoughts before you even know whether or not there is a problem :thinking:

First step I think is to look back at your order to check it's definitely Amazon who is the seller. Sometimes it's not obvious at all. If it is, I'd take a screenshot and then complain to Amazon. You didn't pay for a grey import and I'd be look at them to either replace or refund the £40.

Well possibly, but isn't it a bit premature to be posting these thoughts before you even know whether or not there is a problem :thinking:

possibly premature yes!
but the exact same thing happened with the Tamron lens i ordered through them.
Turned out it was for the French market!
as you say, they're just my thoughts, so i'll let you know what happens if there's a problem.

First step I think is to look back at your order to check it's definitely Amazon who is the seller. Sometimes it's not obvious at all. If it is, I'd take a screenshot and then complain to Amazon. You didn't pay for a grey import and I'd be look at them to either replace or refund the £40.

Definatly through amazon.
I'm very careful when ordering online, i check, double check, triple...you get the idea!! :LOL:
The invoice says ordered from amazon.co.uk

HK pricing is currently £405.65 by the way and you'd probably get it sooner that you would from Amazon :)

Have you got Photoshop?

Resize to an acceptable size for screen viewing then Save As a JPEG, rolling back the quality (with the Preview box ticked) until the file size is below 300KB.

As a rough guide to the resized size, I would reckon that 750px x 500px should leave numbers legible - try it and see. One easy way to do the resize is to set the Crop size in PS/PSE etc to 750px x 500px then drag the marquee around the relevant area.

Good chance it'll be an imported lens. Amazon (UK) happily sell from their Euro disty centres. I ordered a Sigma 70-200 last year which was a german import, had to send it back as I couldn't qualify for the UK 2yr warranty etc.

Good chance it'll be an imported lens. Amazon (UK) happily sell from their Euro disty centres. I ordered a Sigma 70-200 last year which was a german import, had to send it back as I couldn't qualify for the UK 2yr warranty etc.

i'll be hugely 'miffed' if it is, as it wont qualify for the cashback, but will it qualify for the Canon warranty? i'd assume it will as it's a european warranty they offer?
pretty cheeky as amazon are claiming it's eligible for the cashback as there's a giant advert on the same page as the lens saying so!
also, the price has gone up over £30 since i bought it, and everywhere else apart from grey imports are £50 more!
still, i'll see what Canon say and take it from there...

Everything I've had from Amazon's european distribution centres has been sent via ups. If it was delivered via royal mail 2nd class then I'd be very surprised if it shipped from anywhere other than one of Amazon's UK warehouses.

I got a Tamron lens from Amazon earlier this year and it was eligible for the Tamron 5yr extended warranty.

Everything I've had from Amazon's european distribution centres has been sent via ups. If it was delivered via royal mail 2nd class then I'd be very surprised if it shipped from anywhere other than one of Amazon's UK warehouses.

I got a Tamron lens from Amazon earlier this year and it was eligible for the Tamron 5yr extended warranty.

i was very surprised, shocked even, that they'd sent a near £500 lens untracked in the 2nd class post!! :eek:
Lucky for them i'm honest!

Also, nice to see you can track the progress of your Canon cashback claim online. It took only 6 hours from submitting my claim, to it being accepted (y)
Logged on to check the progress further, and it will be paid into my account on the 18th Dec :clap:
Last time i claimed their cashback offer, i did it by post and it took months!!!

Just waiting for the sequel...

"Where's my Canon cashback?"

Premiere lunchtime 18th December (wow! Only 4 weeks to wait for a BT!!!)

You chose super saver delivery, what did you expect? :wacky:

Super saver is just a slow delivery/despatch time, there should always be an expectation of adequate insurance don't you think?

But hey, if the package goes missing that problem sits firmly with Amazon.

just to clear things up i sell on amazon so can give a bit of insight into how amazon works

there is several warehouses across the uk hwat happens is you send the item in ie a trader they put it into there stock and then they ship to you from the wareshouse it can be shipped across 26 diffrent counrties with the amazon label so still be carefull however it seems from the 1st post this is not the case but i bet it is coming from outside uk

just been doing a bit of early spring cleaning guys :) Let's not make it personal :)

Back