Condensor enlarger vs B&W film type

Name
eugene
Edit My Images
No
I,m getting back into the film game and i want to use my old paterson 35 enlarger but never really thought about this before . Its B&W film choice , i,m looking for some grain in the prints something punchy, disregarding paper and developers and degree of enlargement what films would be preferable in this condensor enlarger. Its probably a wide ranging question i know and there is no definitive answer . Perhaps those who use condensors could help out here please. Its all ive got and thats it !!!.
I have used most B&W film years ago but that was a long time ago. I have HC110 and thinking of push processing. Ive pretty much lost touch with all this so i need some cluing in

Many thanks

Surely all enlargers use condensers? I can't see the enlarger having much effect on film grain.

Surely all enlargers use condensers? I can't see the enlarger having much effect on film grain.
Not quite, Cold Cathode was an option that was often preferred as the 'source' was soft. I would imagine such a head would be a very rare commodity these days. Also some multigrade heads use a mixing box and no condenser (The Ilford heads for example which you can still obtain on the used market)

Because a condenser 'focuses' the light it does tend to exaggerate any film grain.

It is difficult to actually give a recommendation as it all depends on how much you want the film grain to influence your image and you need to balance that with detail and the amount you are going to be enlarging... Look at maybe an ASA400 film to start and process as normal, use a paper with a high contrast, maybe grade 4, ensure you are focused correctly, i.e a focus magnifier used on top of a sheet of the same paper you will be printing on.

Trouble is everything is variable...

Nope, condenser enlargers if anything enhance grain, they may be a shade sharper than diffusion but they probably pick out the dust more too, I dunno.
I use an LPL, its a diffusion enlarger, condenser enlargers use glass lenses to gather light, diffusion enlargers use a mixing box, its just a white box that the light bounces about in and then exits.

i,m looking for some grain in the prints something punchy, disregarding paper and developers and degree of enlargement what films would be preferable in this condensor enlarger.

Unfortunately, the paper (contrast grade and surface texture), developer (type of developer, time, temperature of development) and degree of enlargement ALL affect the perceived grain. Film is only one of the many factors involved.

If you want big grain, go for the fastest film you can get, process it for longer than normal in Rodinal and make the print from half the frame on glossy paper of a high contrast grade. DON'T use a chromogenic black and white film.

Back