Conflicting reviews?

Name
Stuart
Edit My Images
Yes
I’m getting a Nikon 24-120mm AF-s VR lens I was planning for this lens the replace my 18-105 VR as the “everyday work horse lens”

I have to say there are A LOT of totally useless reviewers tell us that the focusing ring is to loose or tight

So I useally trust these guys

http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikk...20mm-f35-56g-if-ed-vr-review--lab-test-report

It’s obvious that they know what they are talking about. And they seem to recommend it. So I’ve bought got one (I hasn’t arrived yet.)

But I’ve since read some damming reviews.

SO here is the question…
Is the 24-120 VR going to be a “better” lens than the 18-105 VR?

Cheers Stuart

I normally trust real users opinions, such as on FredMiranda.
I don't

Someone has a good lens, they will just enjoy using it and may want to tell others

Someone is even a bit unhappy with their lens, to the interweb!!!

Cheers the only problem is they don't have any reveiws of the 18-105 so a direct comparison is not possible.

And as a above half of them say it a sharp lens while the other half say its soft!

Stuart

If your lens has a serial starting 5xxxxx you might be in luck.

I bought one used from here and it was absolutely junk (see: http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=117457)

I managed to find a good sample (having gone through 3), and that was better. Even so I personally much prefer the Tamron 24-135 which soundly beats even a "golden" 24-120 VR as a full frame "walkabout"

Sorry I've not used the 18-105 VR enough to comment how it compares. TBH as you seem to have a D60, I'd lean more towards the 18-105 VR...

I don't

Someone has a good lens, they will just enjoy using it and may want to tell others

Someone is even a bit unhappy with their lens, to the interweb!!!

Well of course, that's human nature. :) To be fair, there do seem to be fairly balanced views (in the main) on FM.

I think today you can get good or bad in anything you buy it is just down to luck, price is a good milestone in some cases but not always , this wont help you in your purchase, when you buy your lens review it for us and it may help others. I don't have your wanted lens but would like to buy one of that size.

Back