Confused: D90 vs D7000

Edit My Images
No
Hello,

I am really confused about this one. The difference in price is almost £400 (£499 vs £900).

I'm not interested in large prints and nor in video. So the video abilities of either camera don't play a factor, and neither does the extra resolution of the D7000. However, I am interested in landscape and night-time photography. For the latter the low-light abilities of either camera would play a role, though I can't see myself shooting over 1600.

That being said, is the extra £400 justified, or would it be a more judicious used to funnel the savings towards a good quality lens and some accessories?

The lenses I currently own are Nikkor 35mm f1.8, Nikkor 10-24mm and the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Hello,

I am really confused about this one. The difference in price is almost £400 (£499 vs £900).

I'm not interesting in large prints and nor in video. So the video abilities of either camera don't play a factor, and neither does the extra resolution of the D7000.

However, I am interesting in landscape and night-time photography. For the latter the low-light abilities of either camera would play a role, though I can't see myself shooting over 1600.

That being said, is the extra £400 justified, or would it be a more judicious used to funnel the savings towards a good quality lens and some accessories?

The lenses I currently own are Nikkor 35mm f1.8, Nikkor 10-24mm and the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8.

Thank you.

Hi, what kind of night time photography? Long exposures? If so, as far as I'm aware you won't need anything over 1600.

The D7000 is a good camera but so is the D90. For what you're looking to do, I'd get the D90 and spend a few hundred quid (yip a few hundred quid - don't spend £50 for nightime), a few filters, remote release, and some warm clothing for the cold nights :D

Cheers and let us know how you get on...(y)

The D7000 is the update of the D90. So you looking at new v old. The D90 was / is an excellent intermediate / semi pro camera and yes the ISO capabilities of the D7000 are better, new generation of chip, that being said, does it warrant the extra £400 or would you be better off being a decent flash / tripod / lens with that money.......

For landscapes and night-time photography, would a really good lens or tripod be more beneficial?

Both camera's have the built-in focus motor in the body, so you have the opportunities to raid nikkors older lenses

A lot of people rave about the D7000, but the D90 ain't bad either, so you have to ask yourself, do I want the new tech or is that Nikkor zoom 24-70mm f2.8 or 14-24mm f2.8 or 16-35mm f4 or a prime, what I really want.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the response. Night-time photography is a bit mixed - ideally subjects like the moon, night sky, star trails, etc but also some night-time street scenery. So yes, long-ish exposures.

Apart from the three lenses, I don't have anything else so will need to invest in everything - memory cards, tripod, filters, bag, shutter release and - good point - a warm fleece.

So given the parameters above, I'm really confused whether the £400 premium is worth the larger sensor and newer technology of the D7000.

Thanks,
Anuj

Nikon are doing a minimum of £80 cashback on the D7000 at the moment. Brings the difference down to nearer £300.

If the price of both cameras was the same then I assume you'd go for the D7000. So now does £300 compensate for technology that is 2 years newer, weather sealing (protect against moisture on those cold nights?), better battery, larger viewfinder, better image processing etc etc.

Have a look at the side by side comparison feature on dpreview.

Last edited:
Great as the D7000 is, for the usage you have described I don't think you'll see much benefit at all over the D90. Yes, the D7000 is newer tech and bang up to date, but it doesn't sound like you'll make much use of any of the improvements so there seems little point in paying the extra. In terms of pure final results, that £300-£400 would be far better spent on other kit in my opinion. Your lenses sound more that up to the task. Not sure what filters you'd want at night but a decent tripod, bag and a remote timer would all be very useful indeed. Get a head torch too if you haven't got one as they're pretty handy when working in the dark.

But are you sure about not shooting over 1600? What kind of night-time images you are expecting to get at such low ISO, even with f/1.4...?

The D90 might be nice but there is quite a difference to the D7000. Not just the build quality but also features and speed. I personally would go for the D7000 (if I had made this choice) and never say you aren't interested in a feature (such as video) until you have it. I used to think video was a waste and belonged on a camcorder but since owning a DSLR that does video I have changed my mind and love to shoot both now.

I had this very same dilema a few months ago and after getting some advice on here as you have done I ended up going for the D90. I do not shoot at night much so that side of things was not a factor for me but all I can say is I love my D90 and at no point has it underperformed.

Am I correct in saying the D7000 has a magnesium body as opposed to the D90's plastic one?

Am I correct in saying the D7000 has a magnesium body as opposed to the D90's plastic one?

It's half magnesium.

Noone would know from use unless they were told, so I wouldn't consider it particularly relevant deciding between them.

night-time photography............though I can't see myself shooting over 1600.

If it's shots of the moon or long exposure stuff then you don't need to be anywhere near ISO1600, you should be aiming to use as low an iso as possible.

If I were in your shoes I'd buy a secondhand D90 ad invest the rest in fast glass. Or save up a bit more and get a lightly-used D700. :naughty:

in term of image quality you won't tell a different between the D90 and D7000 in both day time and night time (assume both on tripod).

Is the slightly better quality and the new technology on the D7000 which makes it expensive then the D90.

High ISO (good one as well), video function, more solid body (not all plastic), 100% view finder, dual SD card slot, slightly faster FPS, higher pixel, handling (more buttons to behonest), more focus point etc.

If you don't need all the stuff above then i can say the D90 is good enough.

It's half magnesium.

Noone would know from use unless they were told, so I wouldn't consider it particularly relevant deciding between them.

I think I'd consider it relevant if it were my choice, just my opinion though

Cheers and let us know how you get on...(y)

Hello,

I ultimately decided to go for the D90, the price difference was just too compelling. I figured that I could use the savings towards fleshing out the kit and acquire better lenses. To use an audio analogy, I didn't want to use 200 quid speakers with a 1000 quid CD player.

Plus if I ever do outgrow the D90 I'll get the D400. :)

Thanks for all the input and opinions. Appreciate it.

I ultimately decided to go for the D90, the price difference was just too compelling. I figured that I could use the savings towards fleshing out the kit and acquire better lenses.
I made the same choice for the same reasons. Was able to put the money towards a flash and prime etc. The D90 is still a great camera. :)

ShoeQueen said:
I made the same choice for the same reasons. Was able to put the money towards a flash and prime etc. The D90 is still a great camera. :)

Me too. I had the same debate 5 weeks back. Picked up the d90 and love it. I have no doubt the d7000 is a very good camera but for me ignorance is bliss and I don't miss what I never had. It came down to cost. As hard as I tried I couldn't push myself i just couldn't afford to bridge the gap.

Good luck with your purchase.

always lens first then body.

I would pick D90 and put the rest of the money on better lens.

You can always upgrade body but lens will stay with you for ages.

I was going to make the same point as badboy1984
get the best glass you can afford and upgrade your body as your out grow them.
For night work get a good tripod and a remote shutter release and like you said a fleece!

You won't be disappointed with a D90, it is still a lot of camera for the money. Get the glass then when you are ready you can go D300, D7000 or whatever.

I have both cameras and notice the difference in body only. Different weights and sizes and button layout but that's about it. Bit of a pain on a shoot remembering the different buttons for each camera but nothing I can't handle.

Image quality outstanding on both are nearly the same. Would recommend the D7000 for it's low light & dual SD capabilities.

Back