Connecting speakers to Mac Mini

Edit My Images
Yes
My Mac Mini has arrived and I'm currently getting my head around the world of Mac (previously always been a Windows user)

Can anyone advise please if I can connect my old Logitech S220 sub and speakers to the Mac Mini. The speakers have 2 mini jacks that previously connected to my PC but there's only a single headphone socket on the rear of my Mac. Is there an adapter I need or are they simply too old and I need newer tech

If they are too old any suggestions please - I don't need top quality hi fi so equivalent to the Logitech would be great

I’ve got my headphones connected via Bluetooth;)

Doesn’t really help with the problem, but maybe it’s the way to go.

I would guess that those speaker jacks are for Left and Right channels? In which case an adapter might work. It's not the technology that's out of date - they are just speakers - but the connector vs sound board I would think.

The Harman/Kardon system I use on the Mac mini uses the single jack from the mini to the sub/bass unit then out to twin speakers via a splitter ... works ok

I would guess that only one of those speakers connects to the back of the Mac (the one with the volume knob), the second speaker plugs into the back of the first.

I’ve never known a Mac or PC to have left and right outputs.

Are both the cables for sound out, or is one sound out (possible a green jack) and one for a microphone (pink or blue) back into the PC?

That might work ( the item in post #6) but I think you'd lose the left/right distinction.
I would say that ecoleman is correct by and large, except that I did have a Win7 PC at one time whose sound card had separate left and right speaker sockets.

Last edited:
I would guess that only one of those speakers connects to the back of the Mac (the one with the volume knob), the second speaker plugs into the back of the first.

I’ve never known a Mac or PC to have left and right outputs.

I've had sound cards with outputs for 5.1 and 7.1 speaker systems. Lots of sockets to plug into.

Are both the cables for sound out, or is one sound out (possible a green jack) and one for a microphone (pink or blue) back into the PC?
Correct.

The manual for the S220 states the sound out is green and the mic is pink.

OP - the speakers you have, have a 'hub' that allows the user to connect a microphone to the computer without having to reach behind the computer.

To get your speakers to work on the newest mac mini - plug the green 3.5mm cable into the headphone output of the mac and away you go. No adapter needed.

If you require a microphone, that'll either have to be a usb mic / bluetooth / usb soundcard to expand your options

Correct.

OP - the speakers you have, have a 'hub' that allows the user to connect a microphone to the computer without having to reach behind the computer.

To get your speakers to work on the newest mac mini - plug the green 3.5mm cable into the headphone output of the mac and away you go. No adapter needed.

If you require a microphone, that'll either have to be a usb mic / bluetooth / usb soundcard to expand your options
That's brilliant many thanks for your help especially as it saves me so me money !! I don't currently have a need for a microphone so that's fine

Correct.

Finally managed to try this- unfortunately the speakers don't work - I can get sound from the Mac mini and also my monitor but not the speakers. I imagine I may have to upgrade them !!

Finally managed to try this- unfortunately the speakers don't work - I can get sound from the Mac mini and also my monitor but not the speakers. I imagine I may have to upgrade them !!
You shouldn't need to upgrade your speakers - unless they're broken. Any new speakers - if wired will be using the same analogue connection - maybe phono at a push, but will still require the headphone output from the mac mini in order to work.

Is your monitor HDMI? You may need to let the Mac Mini know which output device to use in the sound settings.....

You shouldn't need to upgrade your speakers - unless they're broken. Any new speakers - if wired will be using the same analogue connection - maybe phono at a push, but will still require the headphone output from the mac mini in order to work.

Is your monitor HDMI? You may need to let the Mac Mini know which output device to use in the sound settings.....
Had it set up to headphones rebooted still nothing so checked the speakers on the old PC - working OK
Connected back to my Mac and now working so all is good !! Many thanks for your help

Back