Connecting to TP via a VPN

Name
Kell
Edit My Images
Yes
I regularly browse on my phone, but have recently just installed a VPN and now get messages to say my IP is blocked.

The only think I've changed is the VPN - and in fact I'm at work, so it would be connecting via work WiFi. Yet it works on my laptop.

Is this a known issue? Or is there something else I need to be looking at?

TIA.

I know our work has in the past few months switched to using a site blocker, and that as a result I can no longer access TP from my work laptop when in the office. Perhaps your work has done something similar (but without notifying you)?

We do have a block on certain ip address ranges used by vpn's that have a debatable history.
Can you (@Kell ) tell us who the vpn provider is and confirm if you are using only the phone through the vpn? We can then ask @Tori_T to investigate, being the expert on the black arts of the internet

Hi Lindsay - it's Nord VPN.

I know our work has in the past few months switched to using a site blocker, and that as a result I can no longer access TP from my work laptop when in the office. Perhaps your work has done something similar (but without notifying you)?
My work laptop still works. It's just my phone that doesn't - even though they'll be on the same network.

Are they using the same VPN endpoint? It should show you what IP address you are pretending to browse from,

- even though they'll be on the same network.
They are...
...and they aren't.
Both are connecting to the works WiFi, but the laptop's traffic will be routed straight out from work's internet facing IP address.
Your phone is linking from your work to the VPN provider via an encrypted tunnel; your internet requests and traffic are then routed out from an exit node of the VPN, located somewhere in the world.
If that exit node is one that's been used by spammers to target TP, then it'll likely be blocked.

Ha - do you hear that whooshing sound as all of that went right over my head.
When you connect via a VPN you are showing websites that you are coming from a different address. I just tried visiting this site from a VPN, and it is also blocked. I guess someone has been naughty from the 84.17.50.168 address in the past...
Screenshot 2022-07-26 at 20.57.12.png

As mentioned above, both devices could be connecting from different addresses, one of which may not have been blacklisted.

I’ve had this discussion on here several times before. Blocking VPN Ip addresses doesn’t stop hackers and scammers. All it does is block genuine people trying to access the site.
The hackers simply move onto a different ip block or vpn, whereas normal people are generally stuck with what their vpn provider gives them.

I’ve had this discussion on here several times before. Blocking VPN Ip addresses doesn’t stop hackers and scammers. All it does is block genuine people trying to access the site.
The hackers simply move onto a different ip block or vpn, whereas normal people are generally stuck with what their vpn provider gives them.
I'm curious why these genuine people would need a VPN to access TP. Please explain.

By VPN in this context I mean one where a third party such as Nord controls the endpoint.

I have the same problem, If you change your IP location ( there should be an option in the settings) quite often it will unblock, I find the Netherlands will generally work.

I'm curious why these genuine people would need a VPN to access TP. Please explain.

By VPN in this context I mean one where a third party such as Nord controls the endpoint.
I’ve started using a VPN for additional security when on public WiFi. I got hacked when on public WiFi and my Facebook account fully closed/deleted due to someone posting something dodgy on there. In a way it was a blessing as I’m no longer on Facebook which I’ve not missed in any way.

I'm not using it specifically to access TP.

I installed it on my phone as we're off somewhere a little dodgy on holiday.

So it's currently on unedited mode - it may be possible to exclude certain sites or links from being blocked.

I personally use one as my internet doesn’t work without it.. don’t ask me why..

without it can’t load anything, not even google. Start Nord VPN, everything works fine.. apart from TP when I get the banned message.

I personally use one as my internet doesn’t work without it.. don’t ask me why..

without it can’t load anything, not even google. Start Nord VPN, everything works fine.. apart from TP when I get the banned message.

Hang on... who is this posting then? haha

Back