Connecting Various Internet Kit

Name
Lennard
Edit My Images
Yes
At present I use Powerplugs which are OK but ---, if you know what I mean. Constantly have to reset my Wife's Powerplug from Red to Green. :mad:

So the question is this:- I know I need Cat 5 or 6 Cable and ethernet outlets but how to I connect them to the Circuit, best Option (for me) would be to run them as a Spur i.e looped from 1 to 2 to 3 etc.

but not sure if this is the correct way or if possible?

At present the Router (Talktalk bog Standard Broadband) feeds my computer, Freeview Satellite Box, Yamaha 5.1 Receiver and PowerPlug out.

Can I just run Cat 5 from Router to Wife's PC (2 rooms away) on to Sky Box, TV, etc?

If not, a cost Effective alternative suggestion please (Cheap). :help:

I don't think you mean "spur" in this context as what you describe in "looped from 1 to 2 to 3" is more like a ring.

cat5/6 etc Ethernet is a star configuration, central switch and individual cables to each outlet. Note that each outlet can then be connected to another switch, and so on, so if you wanted multiple outlets in a single room you would only need one cable to that room, which feeds a switch to which you can connect multiple wired devices. You can't install it like a mains ring.

Loop type configurations were used with coax (BNC) type connections, where each outlet was connected to the next, but those are outdated and more prone to failure - one bad cable or terminator brought the whole network down.

A couple questions:
Which powerplugs are you using?
Are you connecting to them by WiFi?

You shouldn't need a switch unless you want more port capacity (or you want to make your network gigabit and your router doesn't support that).

It's not massively clear what you mean but it's good practice to run the lengths of cat5e and terminate at each end with a faceplate. Remembering to number each socket accordingly so that cables don't get muddled.

That aside for the time being, what powerline adapters are you running.

Is it possible (to avoid multiple bundling of cables) to cascade the wiring.

By that I mean, run Cat to room 1 attach switch and off of that switch run cable to room 2 attach switch .......repeat as many termination points as required.

Granted higher cost per room termination and need for power to run the switches but would it work? And of course the benefit of being able to connect multiple devices (downside of course if too many devices end up sharing the finite resource of the broadband connection)

Last edited:
Is it possible (to avoid multiple bundling of cables) to cascade the wiring.

By that I mean, run Cat to room 1 attach switch and off of that switch run cable to room 2 attach switch .......repeat as many termination points as required.

Granted higher cost per room termination and need for power to run the switches but would it work? And of course the benefit of being able to connect multiple devices (downside of course if too many devices end up sharing the finite resource of the broadband connection)
Technically, yes.

However far from ideal as think of the bottleneck, it's a pretty hefty performance hit having all the traffic going down one connection (potentially collisions and latency will occur) . It's also more expensive vs faceplate.

Easier and cheaper just to run cat5e to the required rooms (run twice as much for future proofing), terminate to faceplates and get switches for whatever rooms end up needing them.

Last edited:
depends how easy it is to run the cable, i live in a 130 year old house where all the ground floor has cellers underneath so it is a piece of cake for down stairs.
but to get two pairs upsairs to my office was hard work.
as neil says i would look at the better home plugs first.
i ran a pair of the early ones and found them good just a bit slow.

...not that I condone it...

Using powerline adaptors?

I just installed TP-Link TL WPA440 adaptors at home. Seems to work well, I have (seemingly) seemless WiFi throughout the house now (always had difficulty getting a good Wifi signal in one part of the house) and have my Mac connected via a Cat6 cable to one of the adaptors.

Can/should I expect issues with this setup?

Using powerline adaptors?

I just installed TP-Link TL WPA440 adaptors at home. Seems to work well, I have (seemingly) seemless WiFi throughout the house now (always had difficulty getting a good Wifi signal in one part of the house) and have my Mac connected via a Cat6 cable to one of the adaptors.

Can/should I expect issues with this setup?
I meant not that I condone trying something and returning it to Amazon.

Got tp-link av1200 here and work fine (other than only getting 100 of my 150mb Vm through them).

Back