Beginner Connectivity of cameras - using Android

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

My friend currently uses a Tablet running Android for her photos

She is now going to take the step and purchase a bridge camera as I discussed in another thread.

Can someone confirm if a camera can download photos using the Android operating system direct, or will a memory card reader need to be purchased to work

It depends on the camera, some manufacturers include this feature in some of their models and others don't. There is no definitive answer. You'll need to research specific models.

A lot of cameras now have wifi built in so normally they would have a companion app to go with it (always check the manufacturer's website for details). Some of the Canon Powershot bridge cameras have that functionality.

Last edited:
I have a Canon Bridge Camera (Powershot SX60) and it comes with wifi.
So, I can either connect to my home wifi network, and copy images from the camera to a PC/Phone/Tablet via the Canon Camera app.
Or I can connect to the camera from a PC/Phone/Tablet via the cameras own wifi connection, so I set my Tablet to view the camera wifi network instead of my home one. This then means that I can copy images direct from the camera when away from my home (or any other) wifi network.
It also has the NFC capability which allows the connection to any NFC compatible device when they touch the camera.

I dont have a canon bridge camera, but do have a canon compact and the accompanying app to wi fi the photos to my android device is pretty decent.

not tried the away from home version myself but sounds good what Blodyn does!

I think @Mystery57 has abandoned this thread..

Back