Considering an upgrade, but to what?

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
No
I have what I consider to be an excellent Nikon D7000. It performs well, always done everything I have asked of it and I'm well satisfied with it. But I think it's time I had an upgrade. Right now my head is swimming with too much information regarding all the newer Nikon cameras, I've gone into specs overload. So, after all the 'research' I have done, all the reviews I have read I am really none the wiser.

So here's the parameters I'd like to box off.

It must be Nikon..

I'm not bothered about weight. ( I carry a Bronica as a 'walkaround' camera..)

I want a camera that will be good for wildlife, 'nature' and landscape.

I'd' like a camera with a tiltable rear screen - though that's not a deal breaker

I am not too concerned about a new camera being DX or FX.

I know nothing about mirrorless cameras.

I don't have any money printing facilities or access to the Royal Mint..!!

Your thought chaps would be most welcome. Thank you.

Hi

What Nikon lenses do you already have?

If you have full frame lenses then In would suggest a D750.

I went from a D80 - D90 - D750 and am happy with that.

Nikon D850 all day long. It’s a FF and DX/crop body all in one. Detail for landscapes is superb, great colours SOOC with very little PP needed imo, has a great AF system for sports and wildlife, tilt screen, illuminated buttons to help with shooting in the dark, decent frame rate which can be improved with the use of a grip.

Of weight and budget are not an issue and you’re not a pro sports tog then I can’t think of any other camera you’d need (y)

The only issue then is what lenses you have. You can of course use DX lenses on it and you’ll still get a 19MP image using crop mode, but to get the best out of it you want FF glass imo, otherwise the D500 is probably a better option.

I have what I consider to be an excellent Nikon D7000. It performs well, always done everything I have asked of it and I'm well satisfied with it. But I think it's time I had an upgrade. Right now my head is swimming with too much information regarding all the newer Nikon cameras, I've gone into specs overload. So, after all the 'research' I have done, all the reviews I have read I am really none the wiser.

So here's the parameters I'd like to box off.

It must be Nikon..

I'm not bothered about weight. ( I carry a Bronica as a 'walkaround' camera..)

I want a camera that will be good for wildlife, 'nature' and landscape.

I'd' like a camera with a tiltable rear screen - though that's not a deal breaker

I am not too concerned about a new camera being DX or FX.

I know nothing about mirrorless cameras.

I don't have any money printing facilities or access to the Royal Mint..!!

Your thought chaps would be most welcome. Thank you.
Pros and cons to FX over DX, the biggest being lenses! Do you want to upgrade your lenses or not. Staying with FX would at least mean that it's only the camera you're changing it maybe provide the budget to upgrade a lens at the same time.
The 7500 would be an option possibly

Pros and cons to FX over DX, the biggest being lenses! Do you want to upgrade your lenses or not. Staying with FX would at least mean that it's only the camera you're changing it maybe provide the budget to upgrade a lens at the same time.
The 7500 would be an option possibly
The D7500 is another good option, my only 'niggle' with it is the single card slot. TBH though if I was choosing a DX Nikon and cost and weight didn't come into it I'd choose the D500 (y)

DX
You could do a lot worse than a D7200 if you want economy, though no tilting screen.
The D7500 can also be had for peanuts and it has a tilting screen, borrows a lot from the D500, I love mine.
If you need really fast action and the best wildlife AF from a Nikon DX then the D500 has to be the choice.

FX
Agree with snerkler, the D850 gives you FX & DX in one camera, superb IQ but AF speed/hit not quite up to the D500.
D750 also a great camera, weighted more toward landscape than moving wildlife IMO but produces very workable files.

I've got a D750 coupled with a Nikon 24-70mm 2.8 lens and it's a fantastic camera for the money. I've been considering changing for a Sony A7 III because I'm greedy for more, but certainly not because the D750 is lacking.

There's a shutter issue which you need to check that it's been done (website for this). There was a free recall, I'm not sure if it's still running.

Back