Considering buying a 1D MKIII, but concerned about QC issues - Advice required.

Name
Adam Swords
Edit My Images
Yes
So I'm ready to take the plunge and buy a 1D MKIII, but before I hit the "Proceed to checkout" button, I want to make sure I'm making the right decision.

I've been reading up on some of the issues (briefly) that there are with these cameras and I'm worried that I'll end up buying one and before I've even used it properly needing to send it away to Canon to be repaired.

Could somebody outline the common issues with the body and the fixes for these problems.

Or are the cameras now sorted and work great straight out of the box?

Many thanks in advance.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-8740-9068
This is probably the most comprehensive info on the camera. I recently purchased one with serial number outside the initial effected range, and I'm more than happy with it. I was slightly concerned with focusing at one point, then did a similar test with the mk11n with was worse. Like you I was slightly conerned, at the time of purchase nikon I couldn't find any nikon d3 with 24-70 glass, so I stuck with canon and DO NOT regret my decision one bit.

Similar findings to natjag really. There was a while where I wondered if I had a badly performing unit so used the MkII and the MkIII on the same day with the same lenses. Can't remember the exact percentages now but the MkIII did perform better.

Some folk were speculating that it was going to me a Mk IV rather than the 5D MkII that got released last time round. Who knows :shrug:

I have had my 1dIII for over a year and its been excellent. Well over 10k actuations as well.

It has been so good infact that we are contemplating buying another - or a 1dsIII.

Yeah, my plan is to get the 1D MKIII for my sports and commercial lifestyle work then get a 5D MKII when I have a few spare pennies for any high end commercial work I may need to do that requires the extra resolution (plus the hi-def video would come in handy).

If I order from warehouse express, what's to say I'll get a body that is from the new batch with no issues, rather than an old one with the problems identified?

i thought the old ones with the problems were a couple of years ago???

i think because of the problems(which i think were fixed before the start of the year) everyone is slightly unsure, but modern units shouldnt be a problem. try speaking to warehouse express, i would think they should know what happened, and whether anything is ongoing at the mo.i doubt they have units in stock that are that old

had mine since july this year the latest copy from canon.. uk unit with latets firmware and serial numbers.... been back once when it stopped working and more recently for calibration..

on a very sunny day it has problems with skintones.. just cant get them right..

Any day of the week i can take two pictures ..depress focus shoot.. then again depress focus shoot... one will be bob on and the other way OOF.. this leads me to taking a lot more pics than i did with the mkII

But the high iso i get and need for this time of year and indoor sport and night matches is truly remarkable.. the quality of pics thata re in focus and the iso abilities outwighs the bad...

So not perfect but I still love using it :)

i thought the old ones with the problems were a couple of years ago???

i think because of the problems(which i think were fixed before the start of the year) everyone is slightly unsure, but modern units shouldnt be a problem. try speaking to warehouse express, i would think they should know what happened, and whether anything is ongoing at the mo.i doubt they have units in stock that are that old

had mine since july this year the latest copy from canon.. uk unit with latets firmware and serial numbers.... been back once when it stopped working and more recently for calibration..

on a very sunny day it has problems with skintones.. just cant get them right..

Any day of the week i can take two pictures ..depress focus shoot.. then again depress focus shoot... one will be bob on and the other way OOF.. this leads me to taking a lot more pics than i did with the mkII

But the high iso i get and need for this time of year and indoor sport and night matches is truly remarkable.. the quality of pics thata re in focus and the iso abilities outwighs the bad...

So not perfect but I still love using it :)

It's exactly this type of opposing view that is making me a bit aprehensive about buying one. I don't want to fork out £2300 for a camera that's not going to nail the shot every time (unless it's my fault). My 40D does so why should a 'professional' body do otherwise?

its not apposing views.. its opposing opinions based on our copy of the camera or our usage... If i wasnt doing a lot of high iso work i would have dumped it a long time ago..

for the record, i havent got one or used one, just from what i remember seeing.

I have 2 and am thinking of selling my 1DSMKII and getting a 3rd, never had a problem with mine.

its not apposing views.. its opposing opinions based on our copy of the camera or our usage... If i wasnt doing a lot of high iso work i would have dumped it a long time ago..

Quite clearly they are opposing views (I'm not sure why you felt the need to stress your point so much especially when it's incorrect).

arronbarnes said he has no problems with his, yet you say you'd ditch yours if you weren't using it for the high ISO performance.

I was quite clearly replying to the post by you that quoted me and fletch... its not apposing views unless there views on exactly the same thing... if two people have two cameras even the same model that act differently and are used totally differently then there not views of the same thing so cant be apposing views..

I was quite clearly replying to the post by you that quoted me and fletch... its not apposing views unless there views on exactly the same thing... if two people have two cameras even the same model that act differently and are used totally differently then there not views of the same thing so cant be apposing views..

Yeah alright, whatever. My point is that it seems to be split on people loving them and people hating them for the issues outlined. I just want to do everything I can to be the "I love my 1D MKIII" camp.

If you get person A who says no problem and person B says problems and person C says there OK .. what have you learnt?

if person A then tells you he uses the camera once a week to take a few snaps... and person B says they take 3 thousand sports snaps indoors and person C says they havent even got one.. then you know more..

its no point people saying my mkIII is good and mines bad... we all use them differently and as such will have different uses so different opinions..

if we all took the same pics every week and the same amount of pics... then we would have apposing views of a mkIII

your not getting any worthwhile info without knowing the usage IMHO.. and its worthwhile info you need isnt it? :)

I'm just at a loss to understand how a top level SLR that costs thousands of pounds can be alright for some uses, but crap for others.

My 40D is great across the board, why is this not the case for the 1D?

I am equally at a loss... am waiting for the mkIIIn or whatever... they seem to ahve messed up big style... But like I say.. the good outweighs the bad for me... stunning results at iso 3200/6400 and getting pictures i wouldnt otherwise be able to get... But not everyone needs one for the high iso... my 10d was more consistant than this.. my mkII as well.. but not as good :)

Well mine is bloody brilliant, consistent performance and that is consistently good performance. I don't really use high iso, unless using 'Safety Shift' on the Lowfly stuff when entry to the valley is brighter than exit and it still performs very well.

I do have some duff focus shots, I tend to know I have lost focus when looking through the viewfinder though - its a fantastic bit of kit !

If you have any doubts then I would wait a while, especially if your planning on putting a few grand down on a body.

Personally for plus 2.5K I'd expect alot more than what folk have reported about the 1DmkIII.

Issues seem apparent still, despite all the 'fixes'.

I was considering a mkIII for some time but decided against.

If your looking at a 5DmkII then hold the horses. Just my tuppences (y)

If you have any doubts then I would wait a while, especially if your planning on putting a few grand down on a body.

Personally for plus 2.5K I'd expect alot more than what folk have reported about the 1DmkIII.

Issues seem apparent still, despite all the 'fixes'.

I was considering a mkIII for some time but decided against.

If your looking at a 5DmkII then hold the horses. Just my tuppences (y)

The issue I have is that I need more than 3.9fps - otherwise I'd be happy to go for the 5D MKII.

Is there no fix for this focus issue then? I just honestly, honestly, can't see how Canon can have a body on sale that's supposed to be their flagship model when it's less consistant than a 10D. It just doesn't ring true...

The issue I have is that I need more than 3.9fps - otherwise I'd be happy to go for the 5D MKII.

Is there no fix for this focus issue then? I just honestly, honestly, can't see how Canon can have a body on sale that's supposed to be their flagship model when it's less consistant than a 10D. It just doesn't ring true...

Fix for what though, I have taken many 'filmstrips' from my copy, I am on the firmware that came out of the box and I don't have any other issue than user error - I think the best was 43 in focus shots of a Typhoon Low Level ( JPEG ) what 300-400 knots.
I have just flicked through but I think I binned all but the best angles otherwise I would have made you a movie !

The thing is mate, some folk seem to be having a good hit rate considering their requirements, Others are not getting the precision they require. That's what rings true for me. There is simply two edges to the blade.

There are numerous issues still being reported regarding the AF of this camera and at the same time folk will also report how chuffed they are with the performance and swear by the reliability.

It all seems a little inconsistent to me to be fair.

It's fairly safe to say that Canon released the body too soon and now their attention is firmly fixed on getting an upgrade out (whenever that may be).

If I had to make the same decision all over again, I still wouldn't throw 2.5K on a whim, and if I were you my couple of grand would stay in my wallet a little while longer.

If a faster shutter speed is what your after then maybe a 50D to tide you over until the release of the 1DmkIV?

The thing is mate, some folk seem to be having a good hit rate considering their requirements, Others are not getting the precision they require. That's what rings true for me. There is simply two edges to the blade.

There are numerous issues still being reported regarding the AF of this camera and at the same time folk will also report how chuffed they are with the performance and swear by the reliability.

It all seems a little inconsistent to me to be fair.

It's fairly safe to say that Canon released the body too soon and now their attention is firmly fixed on getting an upgrade out (whenever that may be).

If I had to make the same decision all over again, I still wouldn't throw 2.5K on a whim, and if I were you my couple of grand would stay in my wallet a little while longer.

If a faster shutter speed is what your after then maybe a 50D to tide you over until the release of the 1DmkIV?

I'm happy to wait for a 1D MKIV, but is there any indication on when that's likely to be? 12months + I couldn't cope with, but 6 months would be alright.

Added to that however is the price...what was the original asking price for the MKIII, has it come down much since release?

I'm happy to wait for a 1D MKIV, but is there any indication on when that's likely to be? 12months + I couldn't cope with, but 6 months would be alright.

Added to that however is the price...what was the original asking price for the MKIII, has it come down much since release?

It could well be 12 months, I doubt it though, Canon will most likely be premature with the release of the mkIV too.

At the end of the day, you gotta do what ya gotta do but, personally, I wouldn't spend that kind of dough on that particular body. But your not me.

I'm really not trying to 'convert' or 'assimilate' you here, but I was a Canon shooter and then went to Nikon, my 2.5K gives rock solid results.
The hit rate is more than adequate, out of 1000 frames, maybe 10 to 15 could be out. This is action coming toward me, moving away from me, moving erratically side to side, basically any high speed movement capture is down to user capability.
That's precisely what I expect from a 2.5K Body, no less.
T.

This will help:

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod315.html

Have you considered the D3 by any chance?

*grin*

If it's AF issues that is the problem, D3 is the way to go. This guy...

http://duncandavidson.com/2008/11/d700-field-report-from-web-20.html

... is a Canon user. He wanted to test out the D700/D3 for comparisons sake and doesn't seem to be looking back (which seems to be the general consensus dare I say it). He speaks in detail about the Canon/Nikon AF over various posts, well worth a read.

Well it's true man, the D3 has no AF issues, non whatsoever, anything close is plainly user error or user negligence.
It's not really a viable option for anyone who is heavily invested in Canon glass though :|

Haha, a few months back I would never have considered shifting to Nikon. But I must admit that I am becoming increasingly keen on their stuff.
I currently have a 40D with grip and a 24-70L, plus a canon fit Sigma and a cheapy 75-300.
I'm wondering how much I'd lose on selling my kit to upgrade to the equivalent Nikon set up of: D3, 17-40, 24-70, 70-200....

Haha, a few months back I would never have considered shifting to Nikon. But I must admit that I am becoming increasingly keen on their stuff.
I currently have a 40D with grip and a 24-70L, plus a canon fit Sigma and a cheapy 75-300.
I'm wondering how much I'd lose on selling my kit to upgrade to the equivalent Nikon set up of: D3, 17-40, 24-70, 70-200....

Well here's my full story, scroll to post 20.

By the way the 70-200mm Nikkor is way better then the EF equivalent, lighter too.
Sadly the 24-70 isn't IMHO, Skintones are superb but CA and Barrel distortion are quite bad, the EF is superb. Swings and roundabouts really.

T.

I'm happy to shoot Canon, I'd just be happier if they had a bloody professional body that would focus properly.

I'm genuinely torn between buying this MKIII and waiting for a MKIV - I shoot action sports so I need to be able to rely on my autofocus set to AI to be able to track moving bikes etc.

But then equally I don't want to drop £2500 only to realise there's a better alternative just down the line....ARRRGH!!!!

I'm happy to shoot Canon, I'd just be happier if they had a bloody professional body that would focus properly.

I'm genuinely torn between buying this MKIII and waiting for a MKIV - I shoot action sports so I need to be able to rely on my autofocus set to AI to be able to track moving bikes etc.

But then equally I don't want to drop £2500 only to realise there's a better alternative just down the line....ARRRGH!!!!

(whispers) Go and try one........

Back