Beginner considering Canon SX730 instead of Sony RX100 3

Edit My Images
Yes
the thing I'm not keen about on the Sony, is the no option of 720p video. also it hasn't got great zoom.

the Canon SX730 seems to tick all the boxes, apart from the fact it has a 1/2.3" sensor, rather than the RX100 3's 1" sensor (which I'm guessing...is one of the reasons it has higher zoom?)

right, so

RX100 mk 3 vs Canon SX730

Canon + points:
zoom
720p (this is what swung it)
nicer grip
slightly sturdier feeling flash

canon - points
it MIGHT help if the "auto" icon on the wheel was slightly more obvious - in a green box or something
the display of the canon seems to be a bit grainier than the sony.
possibly not as many image quality settings as the Sony
sensor size compared to Sony altho yet to discern quality of this in a perceivable situation

Sony + points
downwards tilting screen, but screen hinge did feel quite flimsy
image quality setting - altho I didnt actually test this

sony - points
not as nice grip
no 720p
flash popup felt flimsy
possibly a bit gimmicky?

strangely, the sony came with a data cable but not a seperate battery charger. Canon came with a battery charger but not a data cable.

now I have some similar images I took with both cams. I'm taking a photo of a tree in the back of our garden. also I did a low-light test in the evening.

interestingly...on the Sony display...the low light images came out better than on the Canon's display. but having looked at both images on a computer screen, there might not be a great deal in it. also in low-light, I don't know if the Sony had trouble auto focussing (taking a photo of a pond+plants 6 feet away), so good low-light performance might be offset anyway.

is there somewhere apart from google albums I can upload. I also took some pics of the moon (daytime, light blue background) with the Canon (Sony didn't have enough zoom). altho it was a spur-of-moment photo before it started raining, it was hand held at 40x zoom, not a tripod. moon photo's did come out pretty reasonably

oh the other thing I noticed, was that taking a photo of the garden, the Canon gets more left/right/up/down scenery in. The Sony just fitted the tree in the frame, whereas the Canon has a bit of sky & left right border

Last edited:
Back