Considering filter options...

Name
J
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

I'm thinking of buying ND / grad filters and have a few questions I hope someone can help with.

I've previously used the screw in ND filters but wondering if it's time to try other systems.

First question is; are the filter systems specific to camera brands or generic?

Second, can the filter holders be used on a range of lens sizes - my biggest is the Nikkor 16-80 which is 72mm, down to Nikon 35mm which is 52mm.

Third, other than the filters and the holder, do I need anything else?

Finally, any recommendations on a value for money system? I don't mind paying for quality, for now just a holder and maybe just one filter (maybe 2 if I get a grad too).

Apologies, I've been looking online but information overload!! If it's relevant, my camera is D5600 and main interest is Landscape, but also want to try more long exposures (waterfalls, sea, lightning if we get any exciting weather!)

TIA

You will be told you do not need filters and you can get by without them if you are prepared to do the PP. I use grads all the time for landscapes.

First question is; are the filter systems specific to camera brands or generic?

Genreic

Second, can the filter holders be used on a range of lens sizes - my biggest is the Nikkor 16-80 which is 72mm, down to Nikon 35mm which is 52mm.

Square filter systems use adapters to fit various filter threads

Third, other than the filters and the holder, do I need anything else?

I recomend a remote (wired or not) release if you do not have one

Finally, any recommendations on a value for money system? I don't mind paying for quality, for now just a holder and maybe just one filter (maybe 2 if I get a grad too).

This is where advice be polarised

Filter systems can be used on any camera or lens brand, with the caveat that you need to buy a filter system which will work on your widest angle lens without vignette.

Generally the filter holder will have it's own adapter rings in various sizes (67mm, 77mm etc) and if you have something in between you can use step up rings.

For a D5600 you will need a 100mm filter system, of which there are many brands but the top ones are Lee, Nisi & Formatt Hitech.

One thing I would say to consider is how the polariser is implemented in the system - Lee has a CPL holder on the outside of the holder, meaning it has to be huge (I think 86mm or something) which means the CPL will cost A LOT. Nisi (for example) integrates the CPL into the filter holder itself nearest the lens which means it can be smaller and mounted without wht full holder.

Filter systems
The Cokin creative system is the most budget and you will wnat to replace it too soon same for Kood

Formatt Hitech are OK but you will be dealing colour casts the grads are better than the ND filters though

Then it gets expensive but can be a case of I am too poor to buy cheap

There are LEE, NISI, Hitech Firecrest and Cokin Nuances that I know of that are really worth paying for

Then there are sizes of filter 100mm is used by many and available from all of the above full frame is going to need this or bigger for some specific lenses

There are also 85mm and 67mm systems

https://www.formatt-hitech.com/

Filter systems can be used on any camera or lens brand, with the caveat that you need to buy a filter system which will work on your widest angle lens without vignette.

Generally the filter holder will have it's own adapter rings in various sizes (67mm, 77mm etc) and if you have something in between you can use step up rings.

For a D5600 you will need a 100mm filter system, of which there are many brands but the top ones are Lee, Nisi & Formatt Hitech.

One thing I would say to consider is how the polariser is implemented in the system - Lee has a CPL holder on the outside of the holder, meaning it has to be huge (I think 86mm or something) which means the CPL will cost A LOT. Nisi (for example) integrates the CPL into the filter holder itself nearest the lens which means it can be smaller and mounted without wht full holder.
Thank you for quick reply, that was very helpful.

With the CPL is it possible to use the screw in one I already have alongside?

Last edited:
Thank you for quick reply, that was very helpful.

With the CPL is it possible to use the screw in one I already have alongside?

It depends, but probably not. As mentioned the Lee one will be massive so unless you have one that fits it won't work, and the Nisi style uses a proprietary CPL.

Last edited:
It depends, but probably not. As mentioned the Lee one will be massive so unless you have one that fits it won't work, and the Nisi style uses a proprietary CPL.

Formatt Hitech and Cokin also offer built in polrisers depending on filter holder used

Formatt Hitechh also offer one similiar to Lee

Sufficient is a subjective word to be honest - any 100mm filter holder should take any brand 100mm filters, the only real difference is quality, usability of the holder etc. The short answer is yes that will do the job, but the end caps might be a pain in the bum compared to other designs.

Ideally if you have a local camera shop where you can take a look at a few designs and see what you like/can afford that would be best.

Sufficient is a subjective word to be honest - any 100mm filter holder should take any brand 100mm filters, the only real difference is quality, usability of the holder etc. The short answer is yes that will do the job, but the end caps might be a pain in the bum compared to other designs.

Ideally if you have a local camera shop where you can take a look at a few designs and see what you like/can afford that would be best.
OK will do that, this one was around about the kind of price I was happy with, and came with polariser.

If getting a square filter type, be careful that the edges of the holder don’t appear in the corners of the image. Although this may only be an issue when using wide angles on a full frame. I use the cokin wide angle holder and it just catches the top corners on my full frame canon with a 20mm 82mm thread.

If getting a square filter type, be careful that the edges of the holder don’t appear in the corners of the image. Although this may only be an issue when using wide angles on a full frame. I use the cokin wide angle holder and it just catches the top corners on my full frame canon with a 20mm 82mm thread.
Thanks for the advice :)

I got hugely overloaded when looking for a filter system - about to upgrade to a better formatt-hitech system with a polariser adapter for the filter holder. At the moment if I want to use ND and a grad I have to compose my image and set up the grad in the holder, get the metering, take off the grad and holder, screw in a circular ND, then without moving the position of the grad in the holder, reattach it and hope it’s in the right place!

Back