Considering the Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM II

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
I miss using the Sigma 150-500mm since it developed a bug with the focussing. I've been considering buying the Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM II but unsure where to buy it from (Wex or MPB or somewhere else?). And whether to buy it brand new or second hand.

I'm sure it will go perfectly well with my Canon 5DMKIV. From what I've seen it looks to be the number one lens to go for. I notice you can use it as a macro lens which will be a bonus because most things fly away before I get close with the 100mm macro lens.

From what I've seen it looks to be the number one lens to go for.
I've had one for a few years, and I'll confirm it's a great little lens, certainly on a par with 70-200 II 2.8 if not better.

Its not the greatest when used as a macro / close up lens, if you try and get "up close and personal"
But the results are great when cropped in, if you stand off a bit..

I use mine on a 1.6 crop body, mostly zoo shots

Yes, the mk2 version is good at the time I sold my mk1 to buy it.

Used it on my 7D and after that the 5D3.

All Canon gear sold off a few years back to go Olympus.......the weight of the Canon gear had gotten too much for me :(

I use mine on the little Canon M5, 7D MKII and the Sony a9 (with MC11 adapter), Brilliant lens.

It's my second, I sold the first one as I had the Sigma 150-600mm Sport as well and thought I would miss the extra length but I shoot mainly handheld and the Sigma is getting a bit heavy for me now whereas I find the 100-400mm MKII a lot more manageable. Sigma is also downright impossible to use on the M5, the tripod collar is bigger than the body.

I use mine on a Canon 80D and M50 with the EF-m adapter - it is an excellent lens!
Oh and have popped the EF 1.4x mk3 converter on it occasionally for some serious impressive tele IQ, albeit limited to min f8 on my 80D.

Last edited:
I had one on the 5ds I briefly owned. I thought it was a remarkable lens. The construction and optical quality were superb - AF seemed fast on it. It's a real must for Canon users.

I wouldn't buy a UK new one - a grey importer will save you a lot more than just the VAT difference these days. Either a UK used one or new grey.

Sadly I no longer have the lens as I didn't get on with the 5ds but it's the best tele zoom I've ever encountered.

Last edited:
This is a great lens. I see that Mifsuds have a used version available for £1499. I have used this business a few times and can recommend them without hesitation. I have no connection other than being a satisfied customer.

I had one when I used to shoot Canon and it is excellent and also takes the Canon Extender 1.4x very well indeed but the Extender must be version III to exploit what a modern body can offer.

As suggested already, it is not a good micro lens in my opinion. A good friend bought mine and we occasionally go on wildlife photo missions together and he gets excellent results with it on a Canon 5D4.

I would check out HDEW for a competitively priced new one - I have bought from them for many years.

For previously used I would recommend buying from Ffordes or Wex.

Thank you for all your replies.
Sadly the lens will have to wait for a good few months as I'm replacing my car:crying:
:crying::crying:

Bought a new car (can't keep spending money on current one), Hopefully I can buy the lens in a couple of months before my holiday to Scotland at the end of May, fingers crossed.

I thinned out my kit a few years ago and this is the one lens I really regret selling.

It’s a great lens, really enjoy mine on my 7DII
86C5B98D-BB7C-4B6A-9F45-94297CDDD7EA.jpeg

Ok. I'm now getting jealous from all these photos and replies.

This guy seems to like it :)

5D3_7311.jpg

Need to get down there again, I guess it will probably be quite busy at the moment.

I regret selling the 100-400 as I now have nothing longer than 200. Got an R5 coming so expect I'll succumb to a 100-500 before long.

The 100-400 was soooo good though.

5D3_7380.jpg5D3_0309.jpg

Decided to buy the lens from MPB. From a couple of people on twitter, they're supposed to be good. I've also looked reviews and they appear to be high, so giving them a shot.

Back