Constructive criticisms required... (First timer Thread)

Name
John Douglas
Edit My Images
Yes
Good afternoon all

First I think i shall give a bit of background. I am a motorsport fan and have been for a number of years. I live local to silverstone and have frequented a lot of different tracks in a variety of roles, (Working, Drinking, Driving..) But I have recently dipped into my pockets and purchased a new Nikon D5200 with 2 lens kit. I decided that I wanted to try it out at Silverstone on sunday at the WEC with fellow TP user Graphix501. Lens that I was mainly using was the Nikon 55-300mm VR with no monopod or stand. Having had a few hints from him on how best to go about starting to shoot properly I ended the day with a full SD card, an empty battery and a sense of achievement. I can't thank him enough for the help that he gave me that day. cheers mate. :)

So after some filtering of the (large) amount of rubbish/blurry/missed shots I came out with a few that I would like to see what people think and to give any advice for me to move forward. I would hasten to add that i don't intend to go any further in terms of equipment.

So finally here are the shots. These after editing but only to crop and adjust the brightness/contrast slightly. I dont have access to photoshop etc.

Again thanks in advance of any advice guys/girls. :)

#1View attachment 10101

#2View attachment 10102

#3View attachment 10103

#4View attachment 10104

#5View attachment 10105

Last edited:
I'd say you can be reasonably chuffed with those first go or not. What I would say is it's generally best practice to leave a little room around the subject and not crop in too tight unless you want to focus on a particular detail. The saturation is a little aggressive but I've noticed Nikons tend to produce slightly different colours so just a little fine tuning to the processing to help this.

Otherwise just keep practising, get the shutter speed and iso down a bit and the panning perfected and you'll be well on your way. Good work, must be a great teacher you had pfffft ;)

^^^ He's pretty much spot on with all of those comments.

Keep listening to your Jedi Master young padawan :D

I would say that was an impressive start.

As has been said, just a wee bit too tight on the crops.

Second last of the first set would have been good but a bit of the car is missing.

Shutter speed a wee bit high on the second shot of the second set giving static wheels.

Best ones for me were the last in each set.

Better to number each shot to save us counting our fingers:oops: :$

Hi guys

Thank you all for the kind words. As you can now see i have numbered the photos. apologies for not doing so sooner. Mike the shot on #4 is actually on purpose. It was an attempt to do something a little different and I quite liked it. The actual picture was quite wide and I shall post a follow up below to give you an idea of what I was playing with.

as i've been having trouble uploading it on here. Here is the link to the 500px version

http://500px.com/photo/68615195/apex-miss-large-by-john-douglas

Last edited:
Hi guys

Thank you all for the kind words. As you can now see i have numbered the photos. apologies for not doing so sooner. Mike the shot on #4 is actually on purpose. It was an attempt to do something a little different and I quite liked it. The actual picture was quite wide and I shall post a follow up below to give you an idea of what I was playing with.

as i've been having trouble uploading it on here. Here is the link to the 500px version

http://500px.com/photo/68615195/apex-miss-large-by-john-douglas

Just for future reference Doug, its best (and easier) to use Flickr to host your images.... hit the share button>select the size you wanna link>then select BB code> select it, then paste it directly into the thread, this also allows people to follow the link and view them larger than they display in the forum

500px is best used for a portfolio of your best stuff as uploads are restricted while Flickr isn't as much with more share options

Back