Contact Sheets.

Jordon, do you mean the digital equivalent of contact sheets, ie the whole roll? Or thumbnails of "favourite shots"? For the latter we tend to stick them on the "Show us your film shots" thread, or make a thread in "Photos from film" for critique.

i dont do contact sheets anymore ,,,scan them and then print the ones i want ,,

( i believe there was a thread with contact sheets tho )

Last edited:
There are various ways to create and print out digital contact sheets, it all rather depends on what post processing program that you use.

Have you got Lightroom or Photoshop?

I remember I used to get contact strips in my early black and white days; without an exposure meter, it wasn't worth getting full prints of all the shots. I used to paste the strips into an album that I still have. I thought I had scanned a few pages of the album, back when I first started scanning old photos, but I can't find the images; they were pretty unhelpful and I may have just deleted them (you couldn't tell if an image was slightly out of focus, for example).

If I get a commercial scan I usually get back a CD with a contact sheet on it, but being the size of the CD, it's not that useful. So I think to do it, I'd have to fiddle around with Aperture. Not sure how; I did think of doing a screen grab of a contact sheet view, but there would have to be a better way.

I'm struggling a bit with what we might learn from other folk's contact strips in this way?

I still do a contact print of every roll of film I take, as a wet print in the darkroom.

Back