Contacts gone on EF 24-105mm

Name
Sarah
Edit My Images
No
Well, as the title suggests, the contacts appear to have given up on this lens, I've cleaned them & it will work for 2 shots & give up again out in the field, but works in the house! Have phoned Lehmans and it's more than likely the iris is the problem, so repair is going to be £220.00. If just the contacts £60.00, but very unlikely.
Now the lens has always been sharp etc, but at nearly 5 years old, would I be best to replace it or will a repair keep it going.
Just not sure so thought I'd ask on here to see if anyone else has had this repair done.

Thanks.

Well, as the title suggests, the contacts appear to have given up on this lens, I've cleaned them & it will work for 2 shots & give up again out in the field, but works in the house! Have phoned Lehmans and it's more than likely the iris is the problem, so repair is going to be £220.00. If just the contacts £60.00, but very unlikely.
Now the lens has always been sharp etc, but at nearly 5 years old, would I be best to replace it or will a repair keep it going.
Just not sure so thought I'd ask on here to see if anyone else has had this repair done.

Thanks.

Sounds identical the problem I had with mine last autumn. It was probabl;y about 4 yeras old. I had it repaired by Lehmanns at a cost of £220. Works as good as new now.

I am not sure what exactly your fault is but my 24-105 recently come up with the dreaded Err01 mesage saying camera cannot communicate with the lens - clean contacts. I tried this with no success I then noticed that at 24mm and F4 the camera would function but nowhere else.

This proved to be a common failing with 24-105's and is an aperture control failure. The ribbon cable cracks and stops working. I shopped around amongst Canon repair agents and got the sort of prices you quote. I took my lens to the guy below. The cost was less than half of Canon's, the repair took ten days and the service was excellent. He also gives 6 months warranty on all repair.

Be worth you phoning him.

http://www.mwcamerarepairs.co.uk/

Have you tried Canon @ Elstree - wondering if it comes under their fixed price service ??

Hope you manage to get it sorted out...

I had this happen at Slimbridge yesterday and it seems it is common and has not been a recall from Canon, which, for an L series lens, is very poor. I am going to contact the repairer that Clifton Cameras have suggested today. Any more out there who have had this happen?

Back