Contax 645????

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
Interested in opinions regarding the legendary Contax 645.
I'm a Hasselblad fan boy which, is evident from my posts if you have ever read any.
For all the brilliance of Hasselblad cameras I find myself wanting the Contax 645 mainly for the 80mm f/2.0 lens amongst other things.
And lo and behold, the opportunity has arisen for me to do a direct swap for one.

So, the question.
If you had a Hasselblad 503cw, 80mm CFE, 150mm CFI, A12 mk4 back, A16 645 back, PME45 Prism and Wider CW all boxed as new, would you swap it for a new, boxed Contax 645?

This is not a rhetorical question, I am genuinely thinking of a straight swap for one.

For me, I would not make that swap; I’d view a Contax 645 purchase as risky.

I was going to suggest looking for the Zeiss 110mm f/2 instead, which is the best lens I’ve ever owned and is even better than the 80mm f/2 in my opinion, but that comes with its own issues (e.g., Hasselblad focal-plane cameras are harder to come by and harder to service/repair).

For me, I would not make that swap; I’d view a Contax 645 purchase as risky.

I was going to suggest looking for the Zeiss 110mm f/2 instead, which is the best lens I’ve ever owned and is even better than the 80mm f/2 in my opinion, but that comes with its own issues (e.g., Hasselblad focal-plane cameras are harder to come by and harder to service/repair).
I'm guessing from your comments that the Contax 645 may be difficult to repair.

I'm guessing from your comments that the Contax 645 may be difficult to repair.

Film cameras that rely on electronics like the Contax 645 will present more issues, yes. I’d have a Google to see what your repair/service options might be. I suspect they’re not plentiful. That said, I haven’t looked recently; maybe there are new options.

A most definite NO!

The one I had was an unreliable pile of crap and the lens was a PITA!

Very hard to focus at f2 and rubbish above f5.6.

Doesn't like cold or hot weather or dust.

Use in a studio only!

Film plane goes out of adjustment easily so only half the image is in focus.

Last edited:
In case you haven’t already been completely put off the idea, it’s also a ‘no’ from me. I’ve lost count of all the manual and electronic cameras I’ve bought and sold over the last few years, and I’ve never owned a 645, but the G1 is still the one and only film camera which completely failed on me. Something went wrong with the electronics and I ended up with a shiny titanium paperweight.

I loved using the G1, and the results were great, but I’d never buy an electronic Contax again.

My advice would be: if you have so much cash to burn that it’s no big deal to throw a 645 body in the bin, then go for it…BUT keep the Hasselblad.

If not, keep the Hasselblad.

Basically, just keep the Hasselblad. Okay?!

:)

Contax 645?

No.

I think they are now over prices, plus if anything goes wrong then you will have an expensive brick because no parts are available anymore.

In case you haven’t already been completely put off the idea, it’s also a ‘no’ from me. I’ve lost count of all the manual and electronic cameras I’ve bought and sold over the last few years, and I’ve never owned a 645, but the G1 is still the one and only film camera which completely failed on me. Something went wrong with the electronics and I ended up with a shiny titanium paperweight.

I loved using the G1, and the results were great, but I’d never buy an electronic Contax again.

My advice would be: if you have so much cash to burn that it’s no big deal to throw a 645 body in the bin, then go for it…BUT keep the Hasselblad.

If not, keep the Hasselblad.

Basically, just keep the Hasselblad. Okay?!

:)
I get the picture.

Are you hanging onto the Hasselblad, then? I can't be the only one dying to know! :)

Haven't had a Contax, but I own a Pentax 645 and a 503 and almost never reach for the Pentax. I guess the benefits are that it's lighter, you get more shots per roll, autofocus & the non-square format. The defecits are batteries, electronics, and the electronics.

Again not specifically Contax related, but I bought an M7 a couple of years ago, and it broke (electronic failure) after 5 months and 2 weeks into the 6 month warranty. Ffordes tried, but couldn't get it repaired and thus gave me a full refund (to my immense relief!). That put me right off expensive electronic cameras (looking at you Contax and X-Pan).

I don't know how much of the camera still works if the electronics or batteries die, but I suspect not much. I wouldn't swap my 503 for anything - especially knowing I've looked after it and that it will just work.

I’d have a Google to see what your repair/service options might be
Just read this, and I'd do more than Google. Plenty of places advertise Leica repairs, but none of them can fix electronics. Worth a physical phone call into any approved repairer to see what the options are.

Another option if you really wanted to look at the 645 format is the Mamiya 645 with the 80mm 1.9.
I have a 645 back. I just like the Contax.
I have never owned one though.

I'm dithering like crazy about the Fuji GS645S... can't quite swallow the prices at the mo, though! Perhaps I should put up a Wanted...

I'm dithering like crazy about the Fuji GS645S... can't quite swallow the prices at the mo, though! Perhaps I should put up a Wanted...
Is the GS645S an electronic camera?
I've been put off Contax as the rumours are they are not serviceable and have unreliable electronics.
Also, just looking at the MTF curves from Zeiss, the 80mm f/2.0 is a very poor optic wide open.

Are you hanging onto the Hasselblad, then? I can't be the only one dying to know! :)
The Hasselblad is staying.
Searching the interweb for companies that can repair them was fruitless so I'll stay put for a while.

Is the GS645S an electronic camera?
I've been put off Contax as the rumours are they are not serviceable and have unreliable electronics.
Also, just looking at the MTF curves from Zeiss, the 80mm f/2.0 is a very poor optic wide open.
Actually I may have gone a bit OT, part of the point of the GS645 series is that they are mechanical, plus 2xsr44 for the meter! Fixed lenses though (crackers, allegedly); the S is a 60mm lens so ~ 35mm efl, just happens to be my favourite and most used focal length.

I had a GS645S, one of my all time favourite cameras. Stunningly sharp lens. Unfortunately I wrecked it by dropping it in the sea. Miles wouldn't repair it as he said he would be unable to warranty the repair so I took him at his word and sold it on for spares or repair. I couldn't immediately find a replacement so I bought a 690, another amazing Fuji camera.

Back