Contax G1 marks on negs

Name
Julian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,
I recently purchased this G1. Have put a few rolls through it and noticed some recurring marks.

It appears that there is a fray / hair that shows up black on the positive image, right on the edge of the image area.
And, a 'spot' that looks like a mild sun flare, on every frame, regardless of lens.

I have tried different lenses.
The ‘spot’ on the lower left hand side remains, regardless.

Any help, much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_8015.jpg
    IMG_8015.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Is every roll like this?

Yes, not the big mark on the top left, but the flare in the left lower quadrant.
I would need to check the hairlines on the top right.

Another stupid question but is the film you're shooting expired or fresh?
Also, is the developing being done by a lab or by you?

(Final also, but this might get more visibility in the F&C forum. I'll see if a mod can move it for you)

The hair like artifact at the top looks like a fibre stuck in the groove that the shutter runs in - or stuck to the shutter itself. Very common with old cloth focal plane shutters and can still happen with metal shutters if a previous owner has been a mucky person.

The artifact on the left that looks like a digital dust bunny could be a hole in the shutter curtain itself. The appearance of curtain holes depends on the size of the hole, the time between photographs, brightness of the day, type of film and other factors so it is impossible to be more precise than looks a bit like a hole.

Back