Contax G2 system - what do we think please?

I had one with the 28, 45 and 90. The lenses are superb, as good as any I have ever used. The camera itself is idiosyncratic, with an interesting autofocus mechanism that is a little hit and miss, a noisy shutter and auto wind and abysmal manual focus. Also if it goes wrong servicing is a real problem.

I sold all mine and got a Leica M6 instead as the G2 was just too automatic for me and just didn't engage me whatsoever.

So from me it is a no.

Concise and helpful, thank you. I had a Mamiya 7 system which I sold because I didn't feel particularly engaged in the process of taking photos even though it was lovely kit.

No problem. The lenses really are superb, probably better than the Leica ones I own now but if engageing and enjoying actually taking the photos is part of what you enjoy then the G2 is probably not for you.

I think you have helpfully focussed my thoughts on "where next" and I'm going to have a go with folding cameras - they should provide plenty of engagement! Cheers!

No problem. The lenses really are superb, probably better than the Leica ones I own now but if engageing and enjoying actually taking the photos is part of what you enjoy then the G2 is probably not for you.

Thanks for this comment... I've had a hankering for a G2 for some time, based on reported lens quality, but I've been cooling off based on how "auto" it is. I think you've cooled me right down!

Of course there are some days when all you want is a super top quality P&S but >£1K is a bit much for those few occasions!

ChrisR said:
Thanks for this comment... I've had a hankering for a G2 for some time, based on reported lens quality, but I've been cooling off based on how "auto" it is. I think you've cooled me right down!

Of course there are some days when all you want is a super top quality P&S but >£1K is a bit much for those few occasions!

Glad I could help!

The "photographer" Juergen Teller uses one, now if that doesn't put you off I don't know what will.

Have to agree with menthel.

I borrowed one for a short while with the 50mm lens. Nice optics but I did not like the viewfinder AF was ok but there are better systems out there and yep manual focus was best not tried.

So I would have to say No

Have to agree with menthel.

I borrowed one for a short while with the 50mm lens. Nice optics but I did not like the viewfinder AF was ok but there are better systems out there and yep manual focus was best not tried.

So I would have to say No

There was never a 50mm lens for it, so probably the 45mm you borrowed?

I have a G1 with 45 and 90, and have owned the G2 with a few of the other lenses in the past. I can understand where menthel's views are coming from, but it does depend on your opinion. I always felt the Leica M6 (which I also own) was somewhat bland by comparison, and the Contax lenses are up there with the Leicas.

I love my G2. Its my favourite and most used camera inspite of the CL. Love the system So much, that i have 2 G1 bodies and a G2.

That, and the Contax AX.

Last edited:
@ Magicolor1 It was a far while ago that I borrowed it and you know how it is as you get older things start to dim in the old memory module, bit like a slightly fogged film, you can see what it is but not the full detail. :LOL:

I agree the lens on the Contax were fantastic, but I just could not get on with it :)

@ Knikki - yes sadly I know all about the dimming of memory with age ;)
I use the lenses more often now on my Sony NEX with an adapter which works really well, so I don't use the G1 itself very much any more which is a shame.

Good question, there used to be someone on here a while ago that had a Contax system and he got a 21mm lens it was very nice, however they are rare and expensive.

If it was me I would just use the 45 and 90m but that is just me :D

I have a 21mm on a Contax IIIa and it is a lovely lens and I don't use the camera as much as I should.

Hi Mel,
I see that you now have an FA and SQA, for a guy giving film the elbow a short while ago, where did that great kit come from and details on lenses please.

Hi Mel,
I see that you now have an FA and SQA, for a guy giving film the elbow a short while ago, where did that great kit come from and details on lenses please.

I'm an impulsive fellow! Blessing and a curse! But very much still a 'filmie'. Had the FA for a long time actually, just for some reason preferred the FM2n. Nonetheless, I've actually started moving on most of my Nikon gear - partially as I just fancy a change (odd i know) and have started building a contax system; felt great when messing around in a local dealer and the lenses get great reviews so thought I'd try the system out. Holds value well, so if it doesn't agree with me - should be okay to move on.

The Bronica kit was a choice after my 'blad jam. Also, I could never afford extras/ lenses for hasselblad. Now have a SQA, 50mm S 3.5, 80mm PS 2.8. Went for the 50mm S as it has the same filter thread size as the the 80mm. Managed to really get most of this kit thus far at great prices. Combination of LCE (200 for the SQA & 80mm) and the 'bay (55 for the 50mm).

Knowing me, I'm likely to chop and change systems 3/4 times more and maybe by the time i hit my 50s i'll hopefully settle on a system! :LOL:

Of the lenses - is it it better to possibly go for the 35-70 or the 21m+45mm+90mm?

I had all of the above at one time (sadly not any more :() and would definitely recommend the primes over the zoom. Never really liked the zoom very much. I suppose it's convenient, but it doesn't cover much range and has a slower aperture than any of the primes.

I'm an impulsive fellow! Blessing and a curse! But very much still a 'filmie'. Had the FA for a long time actually, just for some reason preferred the FM2n. Nonetheless, I've actually started moving on most of my Nikon gear - partially as I just fancy a change (odd i know) and have started building a contax system; felt great when messing around in a local dealer and the lenses get great reviews so thought I'd try the system out. Holds value well, so if it doesn't agree with me - should be okay to move on.

The Bronica kit was a choice after my 'blad jam. Also, I could never afford extras/ lenses for hasselblad. Now have a SQA, 50mm S 3.5, 80mm PS 2.8. Went for the 50mm S as it has the same filter thread size as the the 80mm. Managed to really get most of this kit thus far at great prices. Combination of LCE (200 for the SQA & 80mm) and the 'bay (55 for the 50mm).

Knowing me, I'm likely to chop and change systems 3/4 times more and maybe by the time i hit my 50s i'll hopefully settle on a system! :LOL:

That's great news Mel.(y)

Nope. Starting younger simply means you'll try more systems. :bonk:

Good question, there used to be someone on here a while ago that had a Contax system and he got a 21mm lens it was very nice, however they are rare and expensive.
That would be me probably? I still have the G2 and the 21mm.
I love the G2, I love it's weight and the technology packaged into such a beautifully made little camera... it just reeks quality.

The manual focus is a tad iffy, but the auto focus is quick and positive and there's a very simple to use auto focus lock anyway. I have no issues at all with the G2 and the fact that the lenses are all razor sharp and can all be used with my Nex 7 is a real bonus.

Definitely stick with the primes they're second to none in razor sharpness - the zooms aren't anything like the same quality.

Last edited:
CT, nice for you to drop in and post, I hope you stay and become a regular,we could all learn a lot.

I think you should waver, at least until you've picked one up and had a good play with it. You can see how much opinions vary just in this thread.

Old thread with some G2 shots....

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=137135&highlight=Contax

Oh I can cope with temptation.

1. I need a camera with "fiddle-with" ability
2. That's why I don't have any rangefinders in 35mm or MF*
3. If I want snaps I go digital
4. I find Olympus OM system cameras compact enough for when I want to feel that I'm travelling light.
5. Stop it!
6/2* Well, apart from one old Mamiya 35mm which needs CLA
7. Clear off will you:help:

Oh I can cope with temptation.

1. I need a camera with "fiddle-with" ability
2. That's why I don't have any rangefinders in 35mm or MF*
3. If I want snaps I go digital
4. I find Olympus OM system cameras compact enough for when I want to feel that I'm travelling light.
5. Stop it!
6/2* Well, apart from one old Mamiya 35mm which needs CLA
7. Clear off will you:help:

If I was in your position of owning very good digital cameras I wouldn't bother with 35mm film, but just enjoy medium format for that great quality even with using cheaper home scanners...well Ok just a slight problem keeping the 120 neg flat ;)
Many times (because of using film) I have a job getting through 24 exp and 36 exp? erm 36 exp :eek: that's for holidays, weddings etc...so 10 or 15 shots on 120 is good enough for me most times and would think also for quite a few others.

If I was in your position of owning very good digital cameras I wouldn't bother with 35mm film, but just enjoy medium format for that great quality even with using cheaper home scanners...well Ok just a slight problem keeping the 120 neg flat ;)
Many times (because of using film) I have a job getting through 24 exp and 36 exp? erm 36 exp :eek: that's for holidays, weddings etc...so 10 or 15 shots on 120 is good enough for me most times and would think also for quite a few others.

Home scan seems okay other than for Chinese curlywurly 120 which requires a bit of operator patience:bang:

Sure 35mm doesn't compare with 120 and having this week collected several "dev & cd" 35mm AND 120 "dev only" I was rather struck by the price difference. On the other hand, an OM & 28 or 50mm lens are light and easy to carry compared to either 1000S, lens and lightmeter or 645Pro and lens.:shrug:

Okay, I'll put the OMs down for a week or two and pick up an MF body. I'm still not going near a Rangie or a Contax G:naughty::naughty:

Back