Contax or not Contax?

Name
Andy Grant
Edit My Images
Yes
Since Jan got her Contax 139 quartz I've been very impressed with both the quality of the camera and especially the Zeiss 50mm lens that she has (there's also a rather nice Yashica 28-85mm ML lens which is impressive too).
Anyway, I've been thinking that I might like to try out something similar. It would have to be a replacement for my Nikon f801 as I am trying to keep the collection to managable size so ideally I'd like something with autofocus. I have done a bit of research and the options appear to be an ST or NX / N1.
The NX might be the better option but it seems to have a different lens fitting, the ST looks good and seems a reasonable price.
Ideas , thoughts and suggestions are all welcome as are any examples of shots taken with Contax system.

Ta very much

Andy

The N1, NX (and the N Digital dSLR) do indeed have a completely different lens system to the manual focus Contax SLRs. The ST doesn't have AF. You may be thinking of the AX, a unique camera that is compatible with the manual focus system but achieves AF by moving the mirror box back and forth. This makes the body a bit bulky and the AF is apparently relatively slow but accurate. The lenses are as excellent as you'd expect and the cameras are high quality, but the electronics are getting a bit old now and they may not be repairable. N system lenses are much less common than manual focus Contax/Yashica lenses.

As a user of Contax systems for some years RX, N1, 645, I can highly recommend the N1. I haven't used the NX or ST, but the N1 was rated more more highly. Though compared to today's offerings, the auto-focus will be slow but I found it fine for objects not moving too fast. And of course, you can manually focus as well if you prefer. I often started manual to get into the right ball-park area, then finished off with auto.
Very high quality build and great to handle as you'd expect from Kyocera; this was the film camera body with the new lens mount that positioned the company to be the first to move into the full-frame Digital world.
Of course the N Digital broke the company due to the extended gestation period and perceived lack of speed but the quality was there.
With Carl Zeiss new N mount lenses, this was / is a great system ..... my kit included 100mm N, 17-35mm N and 70-200mm N. Disappointing, I dropped the 70-200mm on the way home after watching Live the events of the final Super Saturday night at Olympics London 2012. I still have the 100mm and 17-35mm.
I'll try to find some example images.

Thanks guys. Yes of course, I got confused there, it's the AX I was thinking of.
I have looked at the N1 but it is quite rare and expensive so if I do go for the newer system I think the NX will be more within my budget.
Hmm, maybe I'm being overly ambitious here. I rather like my Nikon so perhaps a manual focus Contax would be ok...

This is F&C surely the advice is always the same: stop arguing and buy one! :D:D:D

This is F&C surely the advice is always the same: stop arguing and buy one! :D:D:D

Well, yes of course, but the question is... which one?

Well, yes of course, but the question is... which one?
The one on the left?

Sorry, a bit punch-drunk with a 10 mile walk with 900m of ascent today!

If you were being strictly practical, the answer would probably be 'none of the above', and you'd get a late model Nikon or Canon with AF that would blow the socks off your F801 or any of the Contax bodies. There are some superb lenses for these too, of course. But despite having an F100, I dusted off my 167MT recently to shoot some HP5 with that 50 Planar. I'd get whatever seems like the most fun.

If you were being strictly practical, the answer would probably be 'none of the above', and you'd get a late model Nikon or Canon with AF that would blow the socks off your F801 or any of the Contax bodies. There are some superb lenses for these too, of course. But despite having an F100, I dusted off my 167MT recently to shoot some HP5 with that 50 Planar. I'd get whatever seems like the most fun.

What you say makes sense but I've done the Nikon thing, had an f100 which was excellent with very expensive lenses, but the Zeiss stuff just seems a little bit ... better? sharper? snappier? I don't know, just something I want to dip a toe into.
I shoot very little 35mm, mainly medium format or large but I am just very impressed with the shots Jan gets with the Contax, of course it may just be that she's better than I am :D.

The one on the left?

Sorry, a bit punch-drunk with a 10 mile walk with 900m of ascent today!

Thanks Chris, helpful as ever :D
I'm in the Lakes at the moment, we were going to do a big old hill tomorrow but I think it's going to be too warm, so low level i think.:)

Is that AF knocked on the head then ?

I'm in the market for some zeiss, but it ain't AF, so my heads full of ways to shoot zeiss MF
Currently I'm M42..:)

I think Retune has a point, I love that Canon EOS 30 I bought earlier this year, smallish (for an auto-focus SLR), light to carry, works with all the Canon EF lenses (including the latest L IS ones), has eye-controlled selectable point focus (which I find really handy), and all sorts of other bells and whistles. It produces lovely looking photos and it cost me £60 in virtually mint condition (body only). So maybe think about one of those (or the Nikon equivalent - I can't believe I just said that! ;)) and do a camera share with Janet between that and the Contax you already have. That way you'll have a camera with full auto focus (and pretty much auto everything else, if required) plus the Contax you already own... and with the money you save you could put it towards another Zeiss lens for that?

I'd go for an RTS II, or another 139. Forget the autofocus.

For Nikon I'd go with the F4

No, I don't need any more Nikon, thank you very kindly, the F801 is fine and I would not allow a canon in the street nevermind the house :D. Also, Andy doesn't share cameras.....and neither does Janet (so I've just been told).
@kendo1 . I'm thinking you are right, the 139 is a lovely bit of kit and I manual focus everything else so another 139 or an RTS 11 is probably the way forward.

Well, if I can't coax you into the cool Britannia world of the late 1990s auto focus 35mm SLR systems, you can stay in 1976 and swelter for your art! :D

Last edited:
No, I don't need any more Nikon, thank you very kindly, the F801 is fine and I would not allow a canon in the street nevermind the house :D. Also, Andy doesn't share cameras.....and neither does Janet (so I've just been told).
@kendo1 . I'm thinking you are right, the 139 is a lovely bit of kit and I manual focus everything else so another 139 or an RTS 11 is probably the way forward.

The RTS and the Yashica FR1 are virtually identical. Almost the same weight and build. The RTS has an eyepice blind and a mirror up - I think those are the only differences...

The RTS II is a better camera than the RTS., but a lot bulkier than the 139. They both have great viewfinders, RTS II is 97%
The 139 and RTS/RTS II have a rather unique AE lock in that once you have set it the EV value is stored - you can change the aperture or shutter speed and the camera adjusts the other one.

@Andysnap im sure I’ve got a Contax somewhere, I may be able to help you with your latest quest ;)

I can bring a selection along to the Scotland meet :)

The RTS and the Yashica FR1 are virtually identical

Well hope not as the Yashica FR1 has a weakness which is the drive mechanism for the exposure counter....:eek: Remember you kindly gave me a 139 to replace my FR1 (y)
A great combo which I used at meet at the peak was the 139 with Tamron SP 35-80mm zoom and it took some excellent photos (y)

@Andysnap im sure I’ve got a Contax somewhere, I may be able to help you with your latest quest ;)

Thanks Nick, I did wonder if you might pop up in here at some point.
I've got a bid on a 137 at the moment so later today I'll know if I will need your assistance.

I can bring a selection along to the Scotland meet :)

Thanks Ken but I will almost certainly be sorted by then.

Andy

Snip:
Thanks Ken but I will almost certainly be sorted by then. Andy

*Puts on his best Frazer from Dad's Army voice* A fool and his money.... a fooool and his money! ;)

Banter aside, hope it works out and it's a good one if you get it. (y)

I've got a bid on a 137 at the moment so later today I'll know if I will need your assistance.
I always liked the look of the 137 (or at least the MA version - the MD is aperture priority only). I started out with the Yashica FX-D (cousin to the 139 - they even took the same autowinder), and eventually ended up with the Contax 167MT. The 167 is a nice solid camera, reasonably priced by Contax standards, with an extended shutter speed range, multiple auto modes, an LCD panel, and a more durable body covering than the self-destructing leatherette used by the previous generation of Contax/Yashica bodies. On the other hand they've replaced the shutter speed dial with a fiddly slider switch, stuck the AE-lock on a rather awkward 3-postion switch with the metering modes, and put the viewfinder info display at the top of the finder, which I don't find especially comfortable. But having slightly quirky ergonomics (like the left-hand shutter speed dials on other models) seems to be a Contax signature.

Incidentally, I was browsing the Ffordes site earlier (there's a 167 for £69) and noticed they don't seem terribly confident about the longevity of the N1 series ('only comes with 15 Day Conditional warranty as no parts are available from Contax Worldwide anymore'). Perhaps the situation is no worse that with other electronic cameras of the same vintage (for which they generally offer a 6 month warranty), but the potential failure of what is still a pretty expensive camera is a risk they'd rather pass on to the customer?

Contax have something about them; I have always treated cameras like tools, once something better comes along I inevitably sell and move on. But not my little Contax outfit; I bought it as a teenager and would never part with it.

Thanks Nick, I did wonder if you might pop up in here at some point.

Thanks Ken but I will almost certainly be sorted by then.

Andy

I have a few :) Zeiss lenses which I'll bring along.

I had an RTSII, a 139 and a lovely 159. All gone sadly when I got into the Leica R cameras.

I'd love a Contax S2b but I promised myself - no more 35mm cameras!!!

Back