Contemplating selling on 1Ds Mark III

Name
Mitch
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all. In the last 2 years, I've flogged a load of decent lenses to buy an engagement ring (!), buy a house and now getting married abroad. The costs have rocketed and I miss the lenses I once had. I also jumped to Fuji for a year and very quickly realised it wasn't right for me, so sold it on, losing a little in the process. Before I had the Fuji, I had a 5D mark 1 which was great, if a little dated.

When I got rid of the Fuji, I felt it would be better to get a nice body and found a mint 1Ds3 with 2500 clicks, not professionally used. I snapped it up, telling myself I'd add the decent lenses back in time, making do with a 50/1.8 for casual use. That hasn't happened (house, furniture, DIY) - and I now want to make the most of our trip abroad with some decent glass. I've got a small pot built up, but not really enough for something.

My thoughts are drifting toward the logic of selling the 1Ds3, buying a cheaper FF body and some decent L glass.

Talk me into it or out of it! Your choice!

£1200 second hand on ebay mine hand 1000 clicks on it 8 months old Bargain

Cheapest on the sold listings is £1400, but anyhoo - were you using Canon before?

My concerns are that I'm so used to the Canon layout, I'm a DPP user (obviously would need to ditch it, liked Photo Ninja on the Fuji.) and I could be wrong, but I looked into this years ago and found the lenses were generally more expensive.

Playing Devil's advocate of course... would love to know your thoughts on those points

Cheapest on the sold listings is £1400, but anyhoo - were you using Canon before?

My concerns are that I'm so used to the Canon layout, I'm a DPP user (obviously would need to ditch it, liked Photo Ninja on the Fuji.) and I could be wrong, but I looked into this years ago and found the lenses were generally more expensive.

Playing Devil's advocate of course... would love to know your thoughts on those points
was i a canon user before ...Yep but i bet you thought not

Haha, you've got me all wrong - I'm open-minded - I just ask lots of questions!

I'll also admit I'm frankly scared I've bought a big heavy body whose weight might ruin the photography experience!
also i think you might be right about the price i paid it was £1600 still a bargain at the time what did you have in mind for a lighter camera? if you have no other canon lenses then i would suggest the nikon d750 and (to keep the cost down) a sigma 24-70 2.8

also i think you might be right about the price i paid it was £1600 still a bargain at the time what did you have in mind for a lighter camera? if you have no other canon lenses then i would suggest the nikon d750 and (to keep the cost down) a sigma 24-70 2.8

Having been most comfortable with the 5D, something of that size and usability.

I prefer to buy slightly older but more 'pro' end bodies. Ergonomics and menus all seem to be easier to use at that level.

The Nikon's have no TS-E lenses do they? I had a 24mm one, absolutely loved it.

I've only got a 50/1.8 for the 1Ds3 at the moment.

5D mk3 is pretty much better in all aspects if a little less tough. AA filter is a lot weaker, so despite similar MP count it resolves far more. I'd chop 1Ds3 while they still fetch decent sum. Lens wise I'd look for little used 24-70mm f/4 IS and or 16-35mm f/4 IS.
Or go D800 used and look for some Nikon glass.

The Nikon's have no TS-E lenses do they? I had a 24mm one, absolutely loved it.
Yup, they do, though on some lens/body combos not all of the movement is available. Stunning IQ though.

The 5DMkIII very nearly tempted me to switch systems, I was impressed with its all around abilities so that would be a good shout, though not sure on prices. If you switched to Nikon then a D800/D800e would be worth considering too fro the pro build, the D750 is an exceptional all round camera though.

Swings and roundabouts with lens prices.

5D mk3 is pretty much better in all aspects if a little less tough. AA filter is a lot weaker, so despite similar MP count it resolves far more. I'd chop 1Ds3 while they still fetch decent sum. Lens wise I'd look for little used 24-70mm f/4 IS and or 16-35mm f/4 IS.
Or go D800 used and look for some Nikon glass.

Yup, they do, though on some lens/body combos not all of the movement is available. Stunning IQ though.

The 5DMkIII very nearly tempted me to switch systems, I was impressed with its all around abilities so that would be a good shout, though not sure on prices. If you switched to Nikon then a D800/D800e would be worth considering too fro the pro build, the D750 is an exceptional all round camera though.

Swings and roundabouts with lens prices.

I would have agreed with you both, but yesterday evening managed to get out with the camera for the first time in a long time and got this shot which I'll probably print.

Daisy the Explorer, Sence Valley Forest Park, Ibstock, Leicestershire, England
by Mitchell Howard, on Flickr

If there's one camera I wish I still had, it is the 1Ds III. Perhaps with your 'small pot' (I don't know how much you mean by that), you could get something like an 85 1.8 and/or the Sigma 35.

If there's one camera I wish I still had, it is the 1Ds III. Perhaps with your 'small pot' (I don't know how much you mean by that), you could get something like an 85 1.8 and/or the Sigma 35.

Thanks, I need to start using some decent glass again. I'm away in Thailand in October and it seems the 16-35/4 is the recommended UWA option at the moment. Shame, because I can't see myself using it all that much after, but at least it's there if needed.

Back