Content Aware greyed out??

Name
Russ
Edit My Images
No
Hi i am trying to follow the content aware rotation tutorial for CS5 from Russell Brown: http://www.russellbrown.com/tips_tech.html

At the point where i am supposed to select fill-content aware the content aware option is greyed out, as far as i know everything is set up as he had it, layers unlocked etc. Anyone any ideas as to why? Using CS5 extended, image is an 8bit Tiff.

cheers

Russ

I've not followed the tutorial, but do you have a selection? I the option is greyed out until you have something selected.

Lets start from scratch.
1 open your image
2 unlock the background layer by double clicking on it and clicking ok to the pop up box (background layer now becomes layer 0)
3 CTRL+T for free transform hover outside the image untill you get the rotate sysbol and drag it around to the angle you want, hit return to fix the transition.
4 CTRL click on the image on the layers palette to select the image content
5 select inverse to select the corners.
6 select/modify/expand by 20 pixles or so (will vary on image size) but you want a bit to give CA something to work on.
7 edit fill content aware (note all this is on the original background layer, in Russle's tut theres another layer above, thats not needed for this process, thats just showing the original photos authors name).

Last edited:
Lets start from scratch.
1 open your image
2 unlock the background layer by double clicking on it and clicking ok to the pop up box (background layer now becomes layer 0)
3 CTRL+T for free transform hover outside the image untill you get the rotate sysbol and drag it around to the angle you want, hit return to fix the transition.
4 CTRL click on the image on the layers palette to select the image content
5 select inverse to select the corners.
6 select/modify/expand by 20 pixles or so (will vary on image size) but you want a bit to give CA something to work on.
7 edit fill content aware (note all this is on the original background layer, in Russle's tut theres another layer above, thats not needed for this process, thats just showing the original photos authors name).

Hi Wayne have done all the above upto numer 6, when i get to number 7 the content aware is greyed out, i am working on the original background layer (layer 0) i am sure the file is RGB it is an 8 bit tiff, will check it out tonight.

cheers

Russ

Russ what are you trying to do? is it a rotate and fill in the corners the same as the tutorial or something slightly different?
And you have the marching ants covering a bit over the edge of the picture not just on the transparent bit?
Wayne

Last edited:
Russ have you unlocked the background layer, as in Waynes step 2,?

Doesnt matter if its JPG or Tiff it works on any file type

Last edited:
Russ - it works with both 8 bit and 16 bit check your steps again
dave

Dunno if you ever found your answer, Dervish, but I found this page when Googling on the same problem. Having found no solution, I figured it probably had something to do with how the layer was rendered. I rasterised the layer I was trying to fix with Content Aware and, lo and behold, it worked straight away...

I am also having the same problem - I can select content aware as I hit the crop tool but as soon as I use the crop it is greyed out and no way to select it ?? :thinking:

OK I found my problem in my crop mode I had classic selected as I prefer it that way and this new crop with content aware obviously does not like classic mode - works fine now

Back